Further update on my new M9-A1... and a thanks...

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Dobry, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Dobry

Dobry Guest

If you guys remember from my earlier posts, I was having FTF's with my new M9.

I gave my M9-A1 a thorough cleaning and lube yesterday, and I mean THOROUGH!... and included cleaning the firing pin, firing pin channel, spring and rod. This time I used Rem-Oil per DAIadvisor's recommendation. I do think the Rem-Oil helped.

Took it to the range today, and I just wanted to tell you guys... my Steyr operated beautifully, smooth as silk, and not a single failure on this range trip! :D

I could not believe the difference! It felt like a different gun. And for some reason it actually felt to me that there was less recoil than before, which I don't understand. I shot much more smoothly and accurately today, than I ever have before with any handgun.

I truly enjoyed shooting my M9 today... and in fact I would go so far as to say that's the most fun I've had at a range since I started practicing with handguns. I am SO glad I got the Steyr, and kept the faith in it. I felt like I got married to the dang thing today! :lol: That's how good it felt.

Thanks to all you guys for your help, patience, understanding, and advice... and to DAIadvisor for his cleaning guide... and to BigTaco for the help and advice on this and other posts, especially about cleaning the firing pin and channel. You guys are tops in my book.

2. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Great :)
    Were there any areas that seemed particularly dirty that may have caused the problems?

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Good to hear! How many rounds did you throw down range?

4. Dobry

Dobry Guest

SELFDEFENSE,

And thanks to you also for all your help! :D

I think there were several possibilities, probably a combination of things.

I do think at least an FTF or two were due to limp-wristing, especially since I wasn't used to the Steyr, and I was shooting one-handed some of the time. So, operator-fault on at least a few I think. I was much more careful today about that, and I think that helped a lot with my accuracy and perception of less recoil probably.

The firing pin channel was fairly dirty, but not really gunked. However, something I got out of searching thru posts is that there can be a problem of too much pressure in the channel if there's too much oil in there... anyway, causing weak strikes and firing pin problems. I'm guessing this was probably a factor. And when I first cleaned and lubed before I fired it the first time, I'm wondering if it's possible that oil got into that channel accidentally when I oiled the "knob" that's on the back of the firing pin... I was trying to follow DAIadvisor's instructions and I may have over-oiled.

It took me several hours, but by the time I was done my Steyr was clean as a houndstooth, and I definitely found a few areas with Q-tips that I think I overlooked with my first cleaning. And, I do think using the combo of Rem-Oil (for the first time) and Hoppes 9, what DAIadvisor was recommending, definitely helped smooth out the whole operation of the Steyr noticeably.

5. Dobry

Dobry Guest

And thanks to you Syntax for all your help especially, including helping me start to learn terms and such. :lol: :wink:

Threw 100, at 10 and 15 yards. Again, smooth as butter, all of them. :D

That makes 250 rounds total so far, from new.

6. SELFDEFENSE

Thanks for the report, especially since it may give a road map to others who may be having similar problems.

7. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

anything you do to increase slide speed will reduce perceived recoil. cleaning the rails and the slide will do just that.

the faster the slide cycles, and specifically the faster the slide begins returning to battery, the less opportunity there is for the muzzle to rise.

in much the same way that there may be more energy in a punch than a shove, the punch rarely knocks someone over. hence the slow movement of the shove can build momentum in the object it's acting upon. result? that the object has moved more, hence creating the illusion of more force.

i too like rem-oil. i'm not much on these miracle lubes. a very light oil that leaves a nice thin film seems to work best for fast cycling parts in any mechanical device.

8. Wingshooter

Wingshooter Guest

same problem I had

The first time I cleaned my Steyr I sprayed RemOil into firing pin groove and got FTF's. The range master stuck his shirt into the firing pin channel and soaked up the oil and I have never had another FTF since.

9. Dobry

Dobry Guest

That makes sense to me, BigTaco.

I will say an important side benefit thru all this, and my problems, has been that it's forced me to really start learning the various parts of my gun and how it operates. That education alone is invaluable.

10. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I'm a big fan of one "miracle lube," Slide Glide, which was in two of my pistols which I shot with BT in Pittsburgh recently and is now in the slide of my Steyr, since I got it back home. Since I started using it, it seems to me that the slides run smoother and quicker on both my S&W 669 9mm and my G29 10mm with nary a jam.

I read some posts about it here when I first bought my Steyr, so I had to order it and try it. One small 2 oz. tub of "Slide Glide Lite" for carry pistols will last virtually forever for $10. Brian Enos even throws in a cheap brush.

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/slide-glide.html

11. Dag

Dag Guest

Slide Glide Question

"increase slide speed"

From Slide Glide web site:
    "noticeably softening the felt recoil of semi-atuomatic pistols"
    "Slide-Glide is a grease, so it will slow down your pistol's slide speed (compared to oil)."

"slow down your pistol's slide speed"

Both bigtaco and Slide Glide are claiming reduced felt recoil from two totally opposite sources! So what's up with that? Hey bigtaco, comments? I'm a little confused here. :? :!: Thanks.

Dag

12. SELFDEFENSE

And a slightly weaker recoil spring would then seem to likely have a similar effect on perceived recoil.

13. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

It might be worth doing, provided the new spring is not so weak as to allow accelerated damage to the pistol. Since the 9mm and .40/.357 use the same spring, I would imagine a weaker spring for a 9mm would probably be OK, but I'm hardly a guru on these matters. What say you, BT or MrA?

Might be a good excuse to get one of BT's custom guide rods that accepts glock springs - then you would have no trouble finding a host of springs to play with...

14. SELFDEFENSE

"then you would have no trouble finding a host of springs to play with..."
    --------------------------------------------------------
    8)

15. Dag

Dag Guest

Perceived Recoil

Hi SELFDEFENSE and Syntax360

As I think about it a little more, the key word is perceived. The weight of the spring won't make any difference in the amount of recoil energy, as your basic action/reaction equations tell us. So it's really the characteristics of the recoil impulse that we're talking about. Intuitively, it seems that a steeper impulse (higher slide velocity) will feel sharper, while one spread out over time (lower slide velocity) will feel softer. Total energy is the same, the peak magnitude of the spike is lower with a slower slide. I guess the Slide Glide description seems to make more sense to me.

Dag

16. SELFDEFENSE

But muzzle rise may be another component in perception of recoil.

17. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

+1. This is a fun thought exercise, but I'm not sure I'll bite. Between the BT guide rod, laser/light, and suppressor or flash hider, recoil and muzzle flip are a complete non-issue.

18. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Guilty of not reading all the verbiage on the slide glide site. I tried it because other Steyroids recommended it.

Assumed if it made the slide slicker, it would cycle faster. Once again assume makes an a** of u and/or me, particularly me. :mrgreen:

However it works, it sure seems to work for me. No failures of any kind on any pistol since I started using it.

19. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

"perceived" is the key.

the energy has to go somewhere. and the rate at which it's dissipated is what we're referring to.

in general, in fights and in recoil, i'd prefer to be punched than shoved. this because i could more quickly recover.

i notice that with any handgun, i like a very fast slide motion. this reduces muzzle flip and keeps the sights on target. since my hand's exposure to the energy is very short, i perceive that there has been little of it.

i recently shot one of the rugers... a p345? it had a ridiculously slow recoil impulse that i thought would never end. i could literally feel the spring compressing as the slide was coming back. i was watching the front sight go skyward as i was ready to squeeze off another round. though the impact into my hand may actually have felt "softer" in nature... it's duration allowed my hand to be flung much higher than i am accustomed to. adding in all the time it took to get the sights back on target, i felt as if i had fired a large, heavy recoiling round.

this is right up there with the caliber debate. to wit, you can purchase glock springs from 13 to 22 pounds.

my perception is that the faster the slide moves, the softer the recoil feels.

20. Dag

Dag Guest

Perceived Recoil

Hi bigtaco

Thanks for the comments. So what you're saying is that because a quicker recoil feels sharper (punc), a slower recoil (shove) gives more muzzle flip. Now you've got me wondering. I own a Ruger KP345, but I haven't fired it along side my M40-A1. I like the Ruger, except for the double action trigger (the single action mode is fine). Looking at the two guns, the Ruger has a much higher bore axis, so what you're saying makes sense from that standpoint, as well. I need to shoot my three main SD guns side by side, and be conscious of muzzle flip, not just the way the recoil impulse "feels". With either .40 S&W or .45 ACP, recoil is just not an issue, but the way a specific gun (and recoil spring) react to that recoil can be much different. OK, back to the range! Yeah, yeah, with a range report! :D

Dag