Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After more FTF's today I got mad and decided to take the M40 trigger group out and discovered the culprit!!
Good old part#32 the drop safety is broken :cuss::cuss::cuss:

I an going to call Monday morning to check part availability.

·
Registered
505 Posts
After more FTF's today I got mad and decided to take the M40 trigger group out and discovered the culprit!!
Good old part#32 the drop safety is broken :cuss::cuss::cuss:

I an going to call Monday morning to check part availability.
Wish me luck!! The date code is Z00 i think its May 2000 22years old :cuss::cuss::cuss:
The year is 2012; unless you are from the future, it was made 12 years ago.

I had the same issue; drop safety snapped into two. SAI took care of me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The year is 2012; unless you are from the future, it was made 12 years ago.

I had the same issue; drop safety snapped into two. SAI took care of me.
Sorry I'm Pretty pissed....(I bought the gun used) Did they send you the part or did you half to mail them the trigger assembly/whole gun ?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Sorry I'm Pretty pissed....(I bought the gun used) Did they send you the part or did you half to mail them the trigger assembly/whole gun ?
I recommend sending them the sub-frame (the steel frame and parts that go into the plastic frame) to install it for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I called Steyr on Monday and received the drop safety today Wednesday free of charge!!:thumbsup:
I am impressed with their customer service..
I am now reviewing BT's instructions on how to dissemble the sub frame.
Hints or tips are welcome.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Update: I called Steyr on Monday and received the drop safety today Wednesday free of charge!!:thumbsup:
I am impressed with their customer service..
I am now reviewing BT's instructions on how to dissemble the sub frame.
Hints or tips are welcome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnAaiuXkdJI

I'm not sure if my video on my tear down will help. but here it is just in case.

It's kinda long, so Skip around till you find what you want.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnAaiuXkdJI

I'm not sure if my video on my tear down will help. but here it is just in case.

It's kinda long, so Skip around till you find what you want.

Got it back together:cheers: thanks for the video. It did not really go into the sear Assembly So I fallowed/studied the Big Taco instructions in the downloads. It was easy took all of 15 minuets. seems to have a more crisp break now..
I will give it a live fire test tonight..

·
Registered
632 Posts
Got it back together:cheers: thanks for the video. It did not really go into the sear Assembly So I fallowed/studied the Big Taco instructions in the downloads. It was easy took all of 15 minuets. seems to have a more crisp break now..
I will give it a live fire test tonight..
Good luck! Let us know.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: The test fire went fine the first 24 rounds one FTE.. After a cleaning and close inspection found that the Extractor plunger was in backwards (big slant out) swapped that around and the next 30+ ran Great!!! My confidence in the gun is growing.
It seems to really hit hard on the primers now! ( still trying to figure out how the drop safety broke in the first place?)
Are small dents on the side of the brass normal?

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Great news, glad to see you've got it under control! Yes, the dings in the brass are normal (parallel to the base, right?), when a round spins out of the receiver, it can hit the edge. The 1911 guys started smoothing out the edge of the opening in the rear for that reason. With a 1911, you sometimes could get a jam if the slide was running fast. With a Steyr, if the slide moves too fast the timing gets screwed up and you can get a jam as well. That's why I went from moly on the slide to SlideGlide. The viscosity slows the slide down just enough...

·
Registered
632 Posts
Great news, glad to see you've got it under control! Yes, the dings in the brass are normal (parallel to the base, right?), when a round spins out of the receiver, it can hit the edge. The 1911 guys started smoothing out the edge of the opening in the rear for that reason. With a 1911, you sometimes could get a jam if the slide was running fast. With a Steyr, if the slide moves too fast the timing gets screwed up and you can get a jam as well. That's why I went from moly on the slide to SlideGlide. The viscosity slows the slide down just enough...
Yeah, Same issue here. I have it setup, need to try it with this. Picked up some surplus aircraft grease at a show. A few veterans standing around were saying it was good stuff. At 2 dollars, I had a hard time saying no, even though it was my last 2 dollars.

But yes, to re-iterate what he said. To fast of timing causes primer smears.
If there is a LCI, it causes marks in the casings as well.

I like the simplicity of the Steyr design, but they could have made a bit more rail material for the lower to help keep the friction up. I doubt it will ever fail, but I have seen some gun reviews where guys were excited about full length rails.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts