FTEFTEFTEFTE

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by charmincarmens, Nov 18, 2006.

1. charmincarmens

charmincarmens New Member

There is just to much FTE problems with The M9A1.At this rate this gun will go no where in this country.To bad,I think this is one heck of a 9mm. At this point with my 3week old gun,Ihave know idea if there is a solution,if there is, I would like to hear directly from Steyr about it,even if I have to pay for a up grade part.Until then I will rely on my G19.

2. celsee

celsee Guest

Besides firing lots of rounds thru it, is there anything else you have tried to fix the FTE problem?

When it does eject, where do your casings go? All over, including on you, or do they do a nice pattern to the right?

When you have a failure, is the casing tight in the barrel, or with a gentle tap does it fall out?

My M9 had a FTE rate of 3 per 50 with all types of ammo...it stayed the same thru 650 rounds. The case left in the barrel was easily removed with a gentle tap.

Then tried the 1911 plunger spring inside the extractor spring...have since shot 1000 rnds WITHOUT A SINGLE FTE! :D And it solved the casing in the face problem, all my brass now eject in a nice 4ft dia. area to my right.

The extractor simply did not have enough tension to hold onto the case lip all the time. 8)

Hope you do not give up, once you get them running right these pistols are dynomite!!!

3. drsmith58

drsmith58 New Member

FTE

I have a M40A1. It took about 650 rds for it break in, but it still doesn't like WWB. It shoots UMC, CCI, and Hornady fine. At one point I thought maybe the LCI was part of the problem yet many of the Steyr Club members were skeptical and leaned more to a stiff extractor as the problem.

Since the break-in peroid I've had 5 FTEs. 4 were my fault I failed to seat the magazine during a re-load. and the 5th the round miss fired breach was slightly out of battery and only had a light strike on the primer.

Good Luck and keep shooting it.

4. I've put about 1200 rounds of WWB and UMC through my M9A1, and I've had maybe 2 FTEs.

5. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

learn how to use the search button

get a 1911 plunger spring and put it inside your extractor spring. may need trimming dont recall.

other check the maint section

6. revchuck

revchuck Guest

+1 on the 1911 plunger spring fix. I just put another 200 rounds through my M40 today with zero problems...well, not including excessive operator headspace.... :roll: I'm up to around 800 rounds with no problems whatsoever.

7. madecov

madecov Active Member

Also try some other ammunition.
    Steyr USA uses PMC to test fire all guns.

8. armored

armored New Member

If you bought it new and have put a reasonable amount of ammo down the tube, call Steyr and tell them about your problems.
    THEY should be the ones to fix it! You bought a Pistol and expected it to work, with maybe a few growing pains, but with constant extraction problems you should not have to fix it yourself.

If everyone with extraction problems sent the pistols back you can be sure Steyr would solve this re-ocurring problem once and for all.

9. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

Should be a limit on FTE posts unless the poster's got more than 500 through the pipe. I was scared shitless to carry a gun that had as many FTEs as my M40A1 did when I first fired it. Even choked a time or two during my CCW qual! But I've been diligent about putting a lot of lead downrange, and the trigger is smoother, the FTEs have disappeared, and my confidence has been restored.

10. littey

littey New Member

I use my M40 here in the Philippines, but up to now, no FTE but 1 FTF when I tried my reload. Other than that, no problem at all. I will try the plunger spring fix, since I got burned by a shell on my neck. :lol:

11. charmincarmens

The casings shoot out so they do not enterfer with the shooter.The shells are easy to get out of the gun when FTE,with no effort.

12. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

1911 plunger spring may be a great fix, but the factory engineers did not make it that way, and if it is to be a selfdefense gun, I would want it to work in standard factory configuration. Send it back and have them make it right.

13. charmincarmens

To The Range

I will be going to the range in a couple of days,for the 3rd. time with my M9 A1.So far 200 rounds fired,and 7 FTE.This will be its last test,If it FTE again I will notify Steyr,and we will see just how good some of the posters on this site are in saying nothing but good things about there service.Wish me luck,this is one sweet piece. :?

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi, new to the board. I am glad I found this board since it is hard to find info on the M9. I would like to weigh in on this topic a bit. Hopefully it wont get me in hot water with the Steyr folks here. I don't want to get off to a bad start.

The FTE problem appears to be a constant problem with Steyr since the M9 was originally launched. I now see that some M9A1s have the same problem. I bought an M9 some time ago that was part of the early production and it had major FTE problems out of the box. The shop I bought it from must have known about this problem since they sold it to me new for under $300. The distributor at that time fixed the problem for free and I have not had a problem since. The only annoying part is that it ejects brass into my head every few rounds and does not eject very far. When I called the distributor's gunsmith, who I think was sent from Austria to work with the distributor, he said that he fixed the problem as best as he could. It wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear, but I figured I got the gun cheap and the brass in the head was a minor annoyance. While I like the M9 and think Steyr has done a good job of thinking outside the box with its design, I also think Steyr should be called on its releasing of pistols that are giving more than a few buyers some problems. I guess some shrug it off and fix the problem themselves, but I think people should be able to buy the M9 with the expectation that it will not need to be modified to fix a FTE problem. The problem should be fixed before the pistol leaves the factory. This pistol has been around a bit too long for this problem to be still occuring. If it's a design flaw, it's about time the flaw gets worked out.

So, for owners like charmincarmens, I would request that Steyr either fix the problem so that it shoots as intended, or that the pistol be replaced. It really is a nice gun so I hope they do the right thing for you. Best of luck.

Cheers

15. SELFDEFENSE

I wonder what the problem rate actually is, and how it compares with the competition.

16. charmincarmens

17. SELFDEFENSE

"Brought it in on 11/27/06,it is now 12/11/06. "
    Probably when you get it back it will work fine and you will have a great gun to look forward to shooting for a long time.

18. charmincarmens

I don't have the confidence you have in this gun.I have never owned a hand gun with a problem like this. What really gets me is this is a fine made gun with all its features,why is this problem even happening? 8-O RA ALL THE WAY

19. SELFDEFENSE

charmincarmens:

If you get it back and it does not perform after a couple hundred breakin rounds on the new setup then I would not be confident either. But if it works reliably after the fix, then it would not bother me.

20. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

OK, Charmin* 8-O

I don't normally do this, but I'll give ya $250 to my FFL. <shrug> Whataya say? :p

Wulf