Steyr Club Forums banner

FTE

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  charmincarmens 
#1 ·
Well I hit the range on the 22nd.And I have to tell you I was really pissed off.Fired about 30rds. with about FTE every 5 or six rounds.I have tryed every type of ammo I could get my hands on.The only thing that fired half decent was 147GR.,and they aren't to easy to get around this area.I will not fire this gun again till I hear from Steyr,I will contact them today the 24th.I am also contacting the retailer that I bought it from,I thought $479.00 was a good buy for this well made hand gun,I was wrong.I own my own retail business,if I had and sold a product like this,I wouldn't be around to long.Wake up Steyr and fix your problem before I take the next step. :x

#2 ·
If this is a new pistol, it may require a break-in period.... So don't get too upset yet. Go back and shoot about 500 rounds of what ever you can get hold of.........After 500 rounds you can evaluate further. I would call Steyr though and forget the seller. They are very good with customer service and the seller is just another step you can avoid.........good luck and keep us posted. Hopefully you will find out why we love our Steyr's........ :D

#3 ·
Damn, Charmin* 8-O

Call Jack and tear 'im a new asshole. :x Then, listen to what he suggests. That's how it works on the leading edge. <shrug> If that don't work, I'll give ya $250 for it. :wink: Oh, and BTW forget the cheap ammo. Put a couple hundred rounds o' Wal-Mart 125 gr FP's thru it and go from there. My $250 offer is good as gold. Let me know.

Wulf <-- could dig a new 9MM for his gal

#4 ·
Don't listen to him, he tries to steal everybody's Steyr's......... :lol: You don't have to yell at Jack, he'd feel as frustrated as you do and he make it right................. :wink:

#5 ·
Hiya Charmin*

BTW, what's the S/N range and manufacturing date, should that little bit of data prove useful at a later date for other members. Also, I was J/K bout tearin' Jack a new a**hole. <shrug> Actually, should you have the opportunity to chat with him on the phone, you'll find him very helpful. SAI is goin' balls-to-the-wall dealing with this little faux pas. (Phone number 770-888-4201) When you get 'er done, you'll thank us for whippin' and a spurin' ya on. But, just in case ya don't want it, I'll give ya $275 for it right now!...cash money! :twisted:

Wulf <-- Just tryin' to help out a member <shrug> 8)

#6 ·
FTE umpteen times

I talked to the dealer on the 24th. He was very helpfull.He will take a look at the gun,and if he can't do any thing,he will send it in to Steyr.As far as I can tell this gun was made in AUG.of 2004.Seems to me that this is pretty ol :lol: d for a dealer to have a 2 year old gun still in stock.I have not given up yet.You guys that want to by my gun,keep trying. :lol:

#8 ·
Did you do any kind of cleaning before firing it?

2 year-old assembly lube becomes gunk.

I would recommend a full cleaning of ANY new firearm purchase prior to taking it out on a test-run. The Steyr's can be a little finicky with extractors. I believe the tolerances are so tight (good thing) that any buildup of crud can dramatically affect extraction.

Luckily the extractor pops out very easily - follow my tutorial on this site.

I would give the gun & extractor a good cleaning and another test run. If it still has issues, I'd send it in for repair.

G
#9 ·
Wulf said:
When your dealer sends it back to SAI for repairs, he'll hafta eat the shippin', one way.
Wulf
Yes, but he might have to pay another transfer fee to get the gun back again (depending on dealer). I'd have just called SAI and then dropped it in a box and sent it back UPS ground myself at one of the "self Service" shipping stores.

HIHO could have a point on the two year old packing grease though. I remember when everyone was buying the cheap CDNN liquidation stock and several people had that exact same issue after those guns sat in the texas warehous for years.

Charmin,
figure about 6-8 months for gun to get from factory, over the ocean, through customs and onto a distributers shelf, and I do not believe gun distributers practice regular stock rotation on any kind of FIFO rotation.

#10 ·
FlaChef said:
Wulf said:
When your dealer sends it back to SAI for repairs, he'll hafta eat the shippin', one way.
Wulf
Yes, but he might have to pay another transfer fee to get the gun back again (depending on dealer). I'd have just called SAI and then dropped it in a box and sent it back UPS ground myself at one of the "self Service" shipping stores.

HIHO could have a point on the two year old packing grease though. I remember when everyone was buying the cheap CDNN liquidation stock and several people had that exact same issue after those guns sat in the texas warehous for years.

Charmin,
figure about 6-8 months for gun to get from factory, over the ocean, through customs and onto a distributers shelf, and I do not believe gun distributers practice regular stock rotation on any kind of FIFO rotation.
I have cleaned this gun 4 times myself.It was the only Steyr that this dealer had.I am not new to hand guns.But I can tell you this,this gun deffinitly has some kind of a defective part or parts.Why would I want the liability for shipping it back to Steyr,when I can have some one else ship it who will give me a written reciept? This gun should be made,if it wants to compete in the U.S. to be able to shoot any type of 9mm ammo.There should be no reason why it can't.I don't want to keep comparing it to Glock,but,you know that Glocks will fire any ammo you feed it.

#13 ·
charmincarmens said:
FlaChef said:
Wulf said:
I have cleaned this gun 4 times myself.It was the only Steyr that this dealer had.I am not new to hand guns.But I can tell you this,this gun deffinitly has some kind of a defective part or parts.Why would I want the liability for shipping it back to Steyr,when I can have some one else ship it who will give me a written reciept? This gun should be made,if it wants to compete in the U.S. to be able to shoot any type of 9mm ammo.There should be no reason why it can't.I don't want to keep comparing it to Glock,but,you know that Glocks will fire any ammo you feed it.
I'm not sure what liability you are talking about, UPS, they lose it you get the dough...Guaranteed your dealer will take forever to get it back from Steyr, while it would be alot faster if you sent it...........I doubt your dealer will charge you another fee for transfering, but I tell him to stick it if he tried that.............anyway good luck........It should work out alright in the end and you will enjoy the gun once its up and running. Yea I shoot Glocks too and have them as my "go to" guns.....but my Steyr's are cooler and we all think i'm sure, they are designed better.... :D

#14 ·
Shooter said:
charmincarmens said:
FlaChef said:
Wulf said:
I'm not sure what liability you are talking about, UPS, they lose it you get the dough...Guaranteed your dealer will take forever to get it back from Steyr, while it would be alot faster if you sent it...........I doubt your dealer will charge you another fee for transfering, but I tell him to stick it if he tried that.............anyway good luck........It should work out alright in the end and you will enjoy the gun once its up and running. Yea I shoot Glocks too and have them as my "go to" guns.....but my Steyr's are cooler and we all think i'm sure, they are designed better.... :D
What I mean by liability is,it is out of my hands and in the hands of the dealer I bought it fom.He has to insure the gun if he sends it UPS,it cost money to insure over a hundred bucks.He took possesion of the gun,there for by law he is liable for it.I do believe the owner of the shop is a gunsmith.And the way he sounded he would look at it to determend what is wrong.If he can't fix it,parts from Steyr,he will send it in to them.Thanks for your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.