FTE problem seems to be getting better

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by BTF/PTM, Sep 14, 2007.

1. BTF/PTM

BTF/PTM Guest

Put another 100 rounds thru the Steyr a couple days ago, it only failed to eject once. The gun now has about 250 rounds thru it, and I gave the extractor port a thorough cleaning per the instructions on our forum. Hopefully this will continuously improve. I recently came into possession of a new Sig P220 that has yet to foul in any way after its first 200 rounds. The standards have been raised, I expect total reliability. If the steyr can't compete, one of you can buy it from me 8)

2. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

ummm.... i'd hesitate to base the reliability of a weapon on 200-250 rounds.

5 malfunctions in 1000 rounds would start to trouble me.

sig 220's are known for out of the box acccuracy, but i've seen a fair share of hiccups with them.

as far as the steyr goes... they're known to have a break-in period of 500-600 rounds.

dirty magazines and cheap ammo cause most of the trouble in these guns anymore.

get her up to 500 rounds and do a thorough cleaning. then fire 1000 more and track the malfs. i imagine you won't need two hands to count them.

3. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

I have 500 rounds through my new M40-A1....It is over two years old (based on the slide code), I did not do any sort of initial cleaning nor have I cleaned it yet (will do this weekend) and I have exclusivly shot dirty Winchester white box through it. I have not had a single hicup...

If you are using good ammo then perhaps its your hold....I'm not talking mess or anything and I do not know you, I am only trying to offer help so don't freak out if you are a veteran shooter....but maybe you are shooting a little limp wristed. This gun does not seem to be the easiest too cycle. Hard to cycle + a overly relaxed hold = FTE ....

4. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya BTF/-dude :)

Which Steyr? ...9MM? :shock: ...40 SW? :shock: ...357 SIG? :shock: Regardless, If I were me, I'd buy the M-A1 from ya and leave the P220's to those who really prefer what's inna name! :shock: I mean, if I were sittin' atta party with a table full o' gangstas...passin' handguns around and checkin' 'em out and onna the gentlemen at the table said, "hey, who's the fuckin' wise guy that brought this little POS Steyr popper? :shock: Dayam, Dawg...this ain't no Glock! ...ain't no SIG! :shock: .... " See what I mean. :shock: How fuckin' embarrassin' would that be? <shrug> Yeah, I think ya oughtta just sell that puppy to me, Bro...ASAP for $200. At this very moment, unless its an M357-A1, NIB from CDNN the M-A1's are only worth $350! :shock: How reliable could they possibly be compared ta more expensive pieces? :shock: Dayam, ya drivin' a hard bargain, Dude. OK...$225 to my FFL. Yeah...if I were me, I'd try and take that unreliable POS Steyr from ya, outta the interest of my own heart...I love ya that much. ;) Let me know. Hava great weekend, BTF/-dude. :)

Wulf <-- bein' overly generous to this -dude :twisted:

5. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

6. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Yeah, I feel that Steyr has a bit of catching up to do in terms of reliability. No brand is 100% perfect 100% of the time, but still.

7. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

10-4 PB7....

I think Glock was doing much better when they were 'this far' into the game than Steyr is doing.... in that regard....

None the less, I do own 9 Steyrs and only 2 Glocks....

:roll: :roll:

8. BTF/PTM

BTF/PTM Guest

:lol: Wulf, thanks for the laugh, that was awesome!! :lol:

I was mostly kidding, I do understand that a gun is a machine and like any other machine it usually requires a break-in period. I'm not giving up on it after so few rounds, it is improving as I stated above.

hahaha..."Dayam, Dawg...this ain't no Glock! ...ain't no SIG!" man, I'm still laughin about Wulf's post.

9. silver x0ne

silver x0ne New Member

user error... replace shitty ammo & shooter ;) <3

10. DAIadvisor

DAIadvisor New Member

Its not about reliability with Steyrs, it's about darn good looks. :)

Mine are hit and miss - depending on ammo you use that day, and how my Steyr feels, will depend the reliability of the session.

11. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

And they ARE damn SEXY pistols.....

....I remember when I saw my first Steyr..... my eyes were wandering from pistol to pistol in the glass case... glock... sig... glock... other... glock... glock... other... hk.... glock... and WTF?

"That one looks weird..." I remember thinking....

...rest is history....

:) :)

12. DAIadvisor

DAIadvisor New Member

I know the feeling - I am working on my 6th Steyr right now with no stopping in sight.

13. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Nine down and one to go! Which one are you missing to complete the set, Babj?

Just curious, if it's a M357-A1, mine ain't for sale for less than a grand and I might not do it then. :mrgreen:

14. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Guess I'm more fickle. I have only one Steyr and if it acted up on me it would get replaced by one of the ladies in waiting.

15. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

What's w/ the derrogatory bullshit, SD? :shock: WTF's got ur panties inna bunch? :shock: That was easier not to post for all the good it does anyone, less ur just ventin', in which case ya just add a, "sorry for ventin' " to the post. <shrug> Get w/ the program, Dude. :shock:

Wulf <-- sorry for ventin'

See? ;)

16. SELFDEFENSE

Not a vent or non-vent. They are just tools and since I only use them for selfdefense, reliability is the prime issue. Since my M9 has been flawless it sits atop the pile of potential carry guns.
    Sorry, just stating that reliability is tops for me, and my Steyr is better so far in that department than the Glocks it replaced.

17. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya SD :)

Thanx for the reply to my "vent". I understand now more what ur talkin' bout and I agree with your need to feel the "confidence" in your primary carry sidearm. Sorry if I was harsh. <shrug> I still love ya, Bro. :) Forgive me? :shock: Hava great weekend. :)

Wulf <-- feelin' like a dickhead :shock:

18. SELFDEFENSE

No problem. You da man.

19. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Exactly. I am still smarting from my M40-A1's problems. My confidence was shaken pretty badly.

I have a good Bladetech holster for it now, so now it begins its probation period. If it can go 1000 rds without a hiccup it is back in my good graces and I will wear it on my hip this winter. If not... Then it will remain my back-up when training. I am hoping to use it as my primary for LFI-II next year.

20. BTF/PTM

BTF/PTM Guest

I agree with the sentiment of losing confidence after failures. yes, the Steyr is a beautiful gun, that's exactly why I bought it instead of any of the other 9mm pieces available for the same price. But then again, my Sig GSR Revolution was a beautiful gun too; after three trips back to the factory for failure problems they couldn't fix, I got a refund and now own a P220R that hasn't failed from shot 1.

A gun should not fail. There are models that do not. A gun that does fail for any reason does not have my confidence and will not have a place in my collection. On that note, here's to continuing to hope that the Steyr just needs more break-in time and will end up an absolutely reliable and dead sexy piece 8)