FTE! Dammit -- I keep getting more in my M40...

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by opto_isolator, Jul 22, 2007.

1. opto_isolator

opto_isolator New Member

I used to never get any when I first got the gun. Now I am getting more and more. Do FTE's have anything to do with cleaning at all? I haven't cleaned it in a while. Not sure what I should do - but at this point I'm not happy!

2. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Cleaning would be a good first step. Just a simple "field strip" by removing the slide, barrel, guide-rod and spring, spray innards with Break Free, scrub with tooth brush, lube up and reassemble. I always add one extra touch, brushing on some Slide Glide on the inside of the slide rails and the outside of the frame slide guides. I use Slide Glide Lite for carry weapons. I love the stuff and use it on all my auto pistols. Slicker'n' a mole's butt!

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/slide-glide.html

How many rounds had you fired before you started experiencing FTEs? How many since you last cleaned it?

I know some of the Steyroids preach cleaning theirs every time they shoot, but I haven't found that to be necessary for my M357-A1. I always clean the bore, but my slide has only been off twice, the first time at 500+ rounds. The MA1s are not finicky pistols, at least in my experience. But if it starts failing to eject or extract, it's certainly time to field strip and clean at a minimum.

The last FTE I experienced was during a range session when I quickly loaded a magazine and neglected to tap the rounds before inserting and firing. I got a very rare stovepipe and then realized I hadn't tapped the mag. A couple of smart taps on the primer side of the magazine to make sure all rounds are fully seated against the back edge of the mag should always be a part of your regular loading routine. As Wulf advises, tap the p*ss out 'em! :mrgreen:

3. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

how is your ejector?

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

My friend's put his first 700+ rounds through his M9A1 100 at a time with no cleaning inbetween sessions. Still, I would definitely start with a good clean and lube. Take out the extractor and give it a good cleaning as well.

5. Dag

Dag Guest

Hi opto_isolator

Pretty limited description of the exact failure, but since you're having extraction problems (empty case left in the chamber, with the next unfired round jamming into it?), I'd also recommend pulling the extractor and thoroughly cleaning it, especially behind the hook. Clean and lube the space where the extractor sits, as well. Take a close look at the magazines to make sure there isn't anything obviously wrong with the feed lips.

I read somewhere that something like 80% of the "repair" work that comes into a gunsmith is fixed with a thorough weapon cleaning. That would be the first thing I'd do. :)

Let us know how it goes.

Dag

6. madecov

madecov Active Member

If your at around 600-800 rounds give SAI a call. You may need to send it in or do the extractor spring trick.

7. opto_isolator

opto_isolator New Member

Blazer brass was used. I gave it a thorough cleaning and tried again - only 1 FTE - but 1 is too many. I still haven't tried disassembling the extractor. Will try that next. If anything I'll try the 1911 spring fix.

8. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

clean the slide, clean the extractor, clean your mags and tap your mags.

that outta get rid of the one fte. i've gone long periods with no cleaning. 1000 rounds over a couple of months type scenarios. no trouble. if it did start acting up, dirt would be my first inclination.

try the easy fix, before modifying it.

9. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

WHAT CONDITION IS YOUR EJECTOR IN?

10. mikey

mikey Guest

If by "FTE" you mean "failure to extract" (rather than "faliure to eject") I had a similar problem with my M40, starting at about the 700 round count. Problem was traced to a worn extractor unit, which the Steyr folks replaced at no charge.

The gunsmith there suggested that my extensive use of steel-cased Wolf ammo (which, up until then, had been working fine) probably chewed up the extractor. He recommended that I avoid Wolf.

Since the repair, my M40 has returned to working flawlessly again. And, I don't shoot Wolf any more. :D

11. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

"And, I don't shoot Wolf any more."

Words to live by.

12. DAIadvisor

DAIadvisor New Member

Steyr is like a expensive sports car - Premium Unleaded Only. :) All of mine Steyrs work well with Gold Dots, Hydroshocks, other "duty" type ammo. As soon as you start trying cheap stuff you're asking for trouble. High tolerance chamber will absolutely NOT reliably work with low price ammo - FTFs, FTEs all the time.

13. amonkey

amonkey New Member

I had a box of Wolf 9mm that I bought at a gun show (had to try a box for that price).
    Started shooting it in my Walther P1 and had 2 malfuntions about 30 rounds into it. Keeping in mind that I have NEVER had a malfunction with this gun and that I have owned it since 1980, I left the remainder of the Wolf ammo at the range for some other poor soul to experiment with. And I NEVER waste ammo....

14. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

You can get away with shooting Wolf in an AK, but that is about it.

15. jfern1960

jfern1960 Guest

Exactly! I may be new to the Steyr club, but not to guns in general. Wolf ammo is the worst, period!

16. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

what are you talking about?

wolf ammo is great. FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!

17. amonkey

amonkey New Member

Big Taco, the insult comic Moderating Steyroid!
    :lol:
    Thanks for the Triumph reference, best laugh this afternoon!!

18. bmitchell

bmitchell Premium Member

I've used Wolf ammo since I first got my Mosin Nagant M44. The stuff works great.
    Of course you could probably just use rocks in an M44 and still shoot down a Stuka.