Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I sent my '05 M40-A1 into Steyr to have them fix the trigger safety not resetting all the time. I also mentioned that I sometimes have brass hit me on top of the head when firing it. They fixed the safety and replaced the extractor and ejector and sent it back to me. They were very nice and got the work done faster than I thought. Before I sent it in, I had had zero FTE's. Since I have gotten it back I have fired 250 rounds through it and have had 2 FTE's. The first the brass was stuck in the barrel. I had to drop the mag., lock the slide open and bang the back of the gun on the gun rest numerous times to get the brass to come out. It was fully in the barrel. The second time, I was shooting yesterday (seeing if the first FTE was just a fluke) and I had another FTE. This time, it was more of a stove pipe FTE. I cleared it and went on my merry way. I did notice that the brass is hitting me on top of the head more than before. I was using the same ammo both times (165 grain bullet). I almost wish that they did not replace the extractor and ejector as the old ones worked better than the new ones. sigh :wall:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi there,

I sent my '05 M40-A1 into Steyr to have them fix the trigger safety not resetting all the time. I also mentioned that I sometimes have brass hit me on top of the head when firing it. They fixed the safety and replaced the extractor and ejector and sent it back to me. They were very nice and got the work done faster than I thought. Before I sent it in, I had had zero FTE's. Since I have gotten it back I have fired 250 rounds through it and have had 2 FTE's. The first the brass was stuck in the barrel. I had to drop the mag., lock the slide open and bang the back of the gun on the gun rest numerous times to get the brass to come out. It was fully in the barrel. The second time, I was shooting yesterday (seeing if the first FTE was just a fluke) and I had another FTE. This time, it was more of a stove pipe FTE. I cleared it and went on my merry way. I did notice that the brass is hitting me on top of the head more than before. I was using the same ammo both times (165 grain bullet). I almost wish that they did not replace the extractor and ejector as the old ones worked better than the new ones. sigh :wall:
What brand ammo are you running in it?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ran "remanufactured" ammo from the local gun range (a.k.a. reloads). But I have used the same ammo before for both the M40-A1 (before I sent it in) and on my old Springfield 9mm race/competition gun. I have not had any issues with it. I would try other ammo but it is getting next to impossible to find .40 S&W and 9mm ammo out here in then Midwest. Trying different ammo is the next thing I will try. I don't think it is the mags since I have used them before with no issues.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am a newbie here, just joined. But the Glock folks report similar problems with the Gen4 9mms in particular.. brass in face. It even has its own BIF acronym.

The culprit on the Glock _appears_ to be the extractor. Swapping out to an older style extractor seems to clear up the issue. I don't have that issue with my Glocks, but I don't have a Gen4 9mm either.

I just picked up what appears to be an older M40 and for the 25 rounds of JHP I ran through it before I bought it appears to digest that fine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ran factory ammo through the gun, a few hundred rounds and I can safely say it was not the remanufactured ammo. I shot WWB and PMC ammo through it (I shot prob. 400-500 rounds of WWB through it before Steyr replaced the ejector/extractor and had zero FTE issues). It seems like I have 1 FTE per 100 rounds. I know that that is not a lot, but it is more than I had before. And what happens if this occurs when I am shooting it for self defense?

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
i have one other somewhat possiblilty, my friend bought his daughter a new 9mm and she complained of the brass hitting her in the head. I took the gun and shot it all the ammo flew off to the side. She wasnt holding the pistol tight enough and "limp wristing" it a bit, so the forty has a bit more recoil, just make sure you are holding firm on the wrist. AND bring a small diameter dowel so you dont have to pound the pistola on the bench.......:)

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
i have one other somewhat possiblilty, my friend bought his daughter a new 9mm and she complained of the brass hitting her in the head. I took the gun and shot it all the ammo flew off to the side. She wasnt holding the pistol tight enough and "limp wristing" it a bit, so the forty has a bit more recoil, just make sure you are holding firm on the wrist. AND bring a small diameter dowel so you dont have to pound the pistola on the bench.......:)
after reading your profile i see you have lots of shooting experience.......ok, next thought...:tinfoil:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No worries Shooter. It is frustrating to say the least. I am going to try the 1911 plunger spring trick next to see if that helps.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
The 1911 spring will have the brass really flying. I've posted this before, but I was shooting in a USPSA match here and after my run one of the open gun guys came up and asked me what I was shooting, "I've never seen any gun throw brass like that!" He said it was going about 10' in the air, to the right. If you're shooting in a covered area, you may get some brass reflected back to you, but not directly from the opening in the weapon.

In full disclosure, I was running a moly grease lube on the rail at that time, it was a little too slick. I backed off even more to SlideGlide.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I might have figured out what the issue was.... I took apart the slide assembly and removed the extractor(thank you Big Taco for the youtube videos) and really cleaned the area really well. I had never done this as I did not know how to (I have always shot 1911's) and I only got the gun in Dec. Well I got lots of gunk out of the extractor area including some metal shavings (looks like bits from the FMJ bullets I shoot with). So everything is squeaky clean now and we will see how it does.. I might still do the plunger spring just for GP.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
aaaahhhh!!! the metal shavings...........yes a familiar find.......good work AGoyette.......yea, the spring sounds like a good idea......:thumbsup:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took the gun to the range and shot 150 rounds through it. The first time I have shot it since finding gunk in the extractor area. Like clockwork less than 100 rounds in I had a FTE. I saved the brass.. It is scared from the extractor trying to grab it. At least this time it was not stuck in the barrel. I guess I will try the 1911 spring trick next. I have already cut it to size, now I just have to install it. I am regretting having Steyr replace the ejector (they replaced both the extractor and ejector). Before I would have a piece of brass hit me on the head once in a while, but it always functioned. Now I don't trust it as my carry gun. Was watching my daughter shoot it, and the ejection of the brass was irregular. I will have the husband shoot it and watch where his brass goes and see if it is a two fold issue. This is getting frustrating. While I have a lot of $ invested in the gun (holsters, 5 12rnd mags & 1 10rnd mag, trijicon sights on order, new metal guiderod from btguiderods and a new Striker Spring Guide Rod Bushing) I have had to look at other guns for concealed carry. I need a gun I can trust.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't know the total round count on the gun. I bought it used. I have replaced the recoil spring and I had Steyr go over it and replace anything that need replacing. Since I have owned it (I bought it in Dec. of last year) I have put close to 2k rounds through it. I am good about cleaning it. I did not have any issue with FTE until Steyr replaced the ejector and extractor. They replaced them at my request because people were saying that they usually need replacing and I was having brass hit me on the head once in a while. While I had brass hit me once in a while, it always feed and ejected flawlessly. I am shooting the same brand and type of ammo I have always shot in it. Maybe I got a bad extractor and ejector set??? I don't know.. My daughter also had a FTE last time she shot it, so it is not just me. The husband hates the gun so he rarely shoots it. I had my husband watch me shoot and he said that everything looks great. As soon as the shot went off, I was right back on target. I am very accurate with the husband's 1911 .45 acp hi cap and my 9mm (also a 1911) and have no issues with them. So I guess it could be me, but I doubt it. Why would I develop a bad habit only right after the extractor and ejector were replaced and why is this bad habit only with the M40-A1 and not with the 5 other guns I shoot?

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I think you're right about needing the 1911 fix. Since you have it, use it. It makes all the difference.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Went to range again today. Before I went I polished the ramp with Flitz and my snake bore. The good news is out of 150 rounds I had zero FTE. That is with 3 different people shooting the gun. The bad news is the ejection (which was irregular before but I mostly had issues with the extractor) left much to be desired. Out of the numerous magazines that I shot, I had one piece of brass hit the top of the slide. One hit me on top of my head and one that flew towards my face, went behind my glasses and I now have a nice 2nd degree burn on my left cheek (of course it happened a week before we go on vacation). I started flinching after that because I was afraid of getting burned again. Not fun! A friend we were shooting with (a wicked accurate shooter) said that I could rotate my ejector. Has anyone heard of this? The husband said that I could use a fine emery board and angle the ejector. I think this is all crazy since the ejector and extractor were both replaced.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't have my M9 on hand to examine, but I believe that the ejector is pinned in place, so it can't be rotated. I read somewhere (probably on this site) where a person mentioned filing an angle onto the tip of the ejector to change the angle and direction the extracted brass would fly (I believe the ejector's face is originally flat and squared off). The poster cautioned against making the angle too great. There was at least one photo of the modified ejector in the post, showing a minor amount of metal removed. I'm sorry that I can't be more specific or direct you to the original post.

Cary

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cary,
I have another extractor on the way from Steyr. I will try it to see if it works. Thanks for answering my question about rotating the ejector. The husband did tell me about gently filing off a tiny bit of the ejector to see if that works. Interestingly enough I just bought myself a 2011 M9-A1. While the extractor works great on it, the ejector does not. I put in the 1911 plunger spring (since it was already cut down) to see if that would work, and it made it worse! Instead of the brass going straight back 50% of the time it was going straight back or to the left 75-80% of the time. So I am going to remove the added 1911 spring. It did this for both my youngest daughter and myself. I am going to have the husband shoot it to eliminate limp wristing. Though I don't think that is the issue because I don't have that issue with the eldest daughters M9 and the M40-A1 was great at ejecting the brass 99% of the time (that is until I decided 99% was not good enough and had Steyr replace the ejector and extractor). Next I am going to try a different brand of ammo. So now I have two guns that smack me in the face with hot brass. At least I don't have that issue with the other guns I own.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts