FNP-45 review in G&A Handguns

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by Netfotoj, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

The new FN-45 is featured on the cover and reviewed in the Feb-March 2008 issue of Guns&Ammo Handguns and it sure sounds like a sweetie, especially to a lefty like me.

Ambi slide-locks, decockers and mag releases, one on each side. Everything's ambi except the disassembly lever and I think I could live with that. DA/SA trigger is 10 lbs. and 4 lbs., which sounds about perfect to me. It ain't as smooth and light as my SP01 Custom, but this is a carry pistol and 4 lbs. is probably as light as you want to go for carry purposes.

It's got different size grip panels included and comes with three 14-rd. mags. Retail $725.

The magazine reviewer loved it and calls it a "great shooter." The review isn't on the G&A Handguns website yet, so I stole a couple of photos the some text from FNHUSA.com.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nixon

nixon Member

Net,
    I've been eyeing this one for a while now. While the msrp is not realistic or not what it goes for in the actual market, As far as I know its very competetively priced (9mm, 40sw) Correct me if i'm wrong of the 45.

That piece certainly looks good. Not the best looking but it's something that's like an acquired taste to me.

Anybody in the Steyr forum who has one already ? Please do a range report !!!!

Nix,

3. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Gun&Ammo Handguns reviewed the FNP-9 a while back and it's features are identical to the FNP-45.

[​IMG]

I seem to recall that one or more of the club members have either an FP-9 or FP-40 so maybe somebody will be able to speak to that. Except for caliber, the pistols are identical.

4. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

Got to play, but not fire a 9mm one at the SAR show here in Phoenix.

It handle's nice, the plastic doesn't have the luxuriousness Steyr's though.
    Felt more like a Kahr or a G***k.

It points like a Sig, M_P or Ruger.

5. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Just got the latest issue of American Rifleman, which also profiles the FNP-45, plus includes a test of the FNP-9, compact 9 and .40. They liked them all but liked the compact 9 the best.

I like the ambi features for the slide locks, decockers and mag releases. Only maker I know that offers all three on both sides of the pistol. That's a big feature for a Southpaw like me. :mrgreen:

6. cornfedmidget

cornfedmidget Guest

I have an FNP-40 and it is a great pistol. Took it out of the box new w/o any cleaning and fired 200 rounds without any problems. It is a tight pistol with ergo's of a sig. Easy to fieldstrip. good magazine storage (14 +1) for the .40. I don't mind the da/sa. the trigger is quite good. probably not as sexy as the steyr, but it is a pistol that will go bang, every time you pull the trigger. So far I am happy with the depedability and accuracy. I have yet to have a malfunction.

7. cornfedmidget

cornfedmidget Guest

Netfotoj, the zastava series of pistols offer slide release/ decocker and mag release all in ambidextrous. the slide release and decocker are combined into one lever. It is a very dependable gun. Charles daly imported them and EAA now has the import rights. they look and feel like Sig's but a lot cheaper, and have a single lever.

8. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I believe they're supposed to be copies of Sig 229/226. Never seen one but am interested. I'd be more interested if they offered 357 Sig. Any idea about trigger pull weight, DA and SA? :mrgreen:

9. cornfedmidget

cornfedmidget Guest

Netfoto,

Zastava currently doesn't offer a .357 sig. However, the guys from the zastava forum tell me the newest model called the cz07 is suppose to be offered in the .357 sig. Your right, the guns are designed after the 220 and 226. When I got mine, I was a little skeptical since it was packaged in cheap oil, wax paper and plastic. But after whiping it off and checking her out, I haven't had one malfunction. The barrels are hardchrome completely (the whole Barrell). The zastava guys said they are good for at least 150k+. The gun runs like a top.

I am looking forward to getting the MA1, called cdnn and they said there are "PLLLLLLEEEENNNNTYYYY" left, that was how he put it. Take it easy.

10. DAIadvisor

DAIadvisor New Member

I have an FNP-9. Nice pistol. I don't see the 45 selling for $725.00 I can get new USP 45 cheaper than that. Around $500.00 is more realistic price barcket - too much competition in the .45 market at this time. It is a nice piece though.

11. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

The FNP 357 Sig has finally surfaced, at least it's the first time I've seen one for sale.

Bud's Gun Shop has them for $487 delivered in Matte Stainless or Matte Black.
    [​IMG]

They also have the FNP 45, but no price listed and it is not currently in stock. Guns & Ammo reviewed the FNP 45 in the Feb. 2008 issue very favorably. Guns & Ammo Handguns also reviewed it in Feb. 2008.

I'm waiting on Uncle Sam's tax refund to arrive and as soon as it does, the FNP 357 is on the top of my list. Ambi decock and slide lock levers plus ambi mag release sounds awfully good to this lefty. If I like it as much as I think I will, the FNP 45 will follow on next.

I'm also looking at the Sig P250, but right now it's only available as a compact 9mm, though 357 Sig and .45 are promised by summer with interchangeable slides and frames. I considered a Sig 226 357, but it's not ambi and costs quite a bit more unless you get a "Certified Pre-Owned" model or discontinued models with no rail, so I guess not.

Also considering the S&W M&P, which is also finally available in 357 Sig. Ambi slide stops and reversible mag release button. It and the P250 are DOA, the FNP 357 is DA/SA. The M&P 357 is listed at Bud's for $501, but it's out of stock right now. Decisions, decisions...

I don't expect there's any Sig P250 or FNP 357 owners in the club, but might there be any FNP 45 owners? I think it's been out just a bit longer than the 357 model. I found a few FNP 9 comments here that were mostly favorable. I know Madecov has a M&P 9mm and likes it a lot. Any other M&P owners here? Anybody got any pistol-buying advice? :mrgreen:

12. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Those FNP's sure do look more than just a li'l Sig Like.....

:whistle: :whistle:

13. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

One of the reviewers made the comment that it works and feels a lot like a Sig, too. Not a bad thing, in fact, quite high praise, as I do believe Sigs are considered top of the class. And it's a lot cheaper than a Sig, which is not a bad thing either. If I can find an M&P 357, it will come down to it vs. the FN 357. I like both about equally well, based on what I've read. Haven't handled or shot either. But the FN 357 is available right now and when I did a search on Gallery of Guns for a M&P 357, I got zilch. Only other 357 I've considered is G31-32 and I'm just not a big fan of the Glock grip angle. My G29 has a modified grip angle to 1911-ergo. :mrgreen:

14. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Bud's Gun Shop has the FNP-45 in stock: FN FNP45 45 DA SA 14R MTSS Model: 47915 $565.00 Delivered

MTSS means matte stainless.
    [​IMG]

Maybe this is next for me. :mrgreen:

15. MACHINgunIST

MACHINgunIST Guest

I wonder if the "mainspring housing" is reversible with a flat side........that's what Ruger did on the SR9.....obvious....simple.....ONE component to accomodate TWO preferences. On SOME pistols I prefer the feel of a flatter surface against the heel of my gripping hand.

16. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

That is affirmative. The FNP-45 has interchangeable backstrap inserts.
    I do believe this will be my next .45 ACP, fully ambi for lefty moi! :mrgreen:

17. nixon

nixon Member

Net,
    Don't know how soon it will be if true, FNP 45 will have a cock and lock option pretty soon. If you prefer this option, try and find out when. I'm being tempted to get one but I can wait awhile and see if this option comes out there. Personally, I think it's a little better to have 1911-esque option.

18. Shellshock1918

Shellshock1918 New Member

I've read about them online and on other forums. From what I've heard, people say they are BIG, like bigger than glock 21 (non slim frame) big.

19. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Wow.

Thats BIG.

:? :?

20. Shellshock1918

Shellshock1918 New Member

Yea. I need to handle it for myself though, the ergonomics might be better than the Glocks (from the looks it probably is) so the size might not really bother me. Other than that, its bad ass.