FN HP-DAO Compact

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by posterboy7, Sep 3, 2007.

1. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

So I have started working very part time in a friend's gun shop and doing shows with him. As you can imagine, this is very dangerous to my finances. To wit, I have picked up three guns in the last three weeks.

One of them is an FN HP-DAO Compact. Some where between 1990 and 2001, FN started making the HP-DA; the double action "Hi-Power". They weren't really Hi-Powers, but they tried to keep to the spirit of the gun, which I think they did. The HP-DAO Compact feels just as good in the hand as the Hi-Power and shares a lot in looks, which is why I couldn't help myself. The one I got is lightly used -- it might not have even been fired, by the looks of it -- and has a very nice trigger. I have yet to take it to the range.

I was wondering if my fellow Steyroids have any experience with this gun? I have been able to find out very little about it. It is pictured and mentioned on World Guns and a line or two appear here and there in various forums, but nothing in depth. Finding a decent holster for it is proving exceedingly difficult. It is extremely similar in size to my partner's S&W 3913 and it fits perfectly in a Bianchi leather belt holster made for the 3913, despite the difference in trigger guard styles. Unfortunately, the Bianchi has a retention strap which I don't like, but this beggar might not be able to be a chooser. (I am thinking about making a custom kydex holster for it.)

I will post a range report as soon as I can, and hopefully pics too.

2. majette

majette Member

i saw one of the full size ones at a gun show. i read up on it, thought i would like the compact one, then the next day decided to go back and get the full size one. of course, it was gone. still would like to try a compact one. let us know how it is!

3. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Yes Posterboy, being around a gun shop that much is very hard on the finances.....

:wink: :wink:

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Sorry for the topic diversion, but are you looking for a BUG for duty carry posterboy?

5. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

No, I am not looking for a back-up. I don't have any duty to carry for, unless you count working behind the counter of a gun store as duty. I carry my G23 in a Blackhawk Serpa at the shop and I will carry my Steyr once my Blade-Tech holster arrives.

If I do get a BUG it will probably be a PPK.

I picked up the FN because I love its feel, its size, its trigger and the way it looks. Plus factory mags are currently only $10 at CDNN. It is in like-new condition and I got it for a very good price. Only downside is the the lack of holsters. I also got the FN because I haven't seen it any where else and neither has my dealer friend and it fits within the striker/DAO systems I am used to.

I am currently working off the philosophy that I can pick up anything that is currently made or common at any time, its the rare or unusual guns or deals that I am going to lay down money for. The P22 that I got a couple weeks ago didn't really fit the plan, but we all screw up sometimes :twisted: I got away with that one because my partner really likes the P22 and it is cheap to shoot; she is very happy with it. I bought a NIB Remington 870 Express Synthetic at a show on Sunday because my friend was able to work a discount for me with another dealer at a price $50 less then my buddy could get at dealer cost. My partner wasn't happy about that one, but I promised to pay her back and not buy anything else until the DPMS AR or Sig 556 I plan on getting at the end of next year (close to the election).

6. GPK

GPK New Member

What gun store did you pic your BDA compact up at? How has it worked out thus far?