Steyr Club Forums banner
4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Narsil 
#1 ·
#4 ·
To fly with a gun you need to have a gun case that locks, declare it to TSA, show it and lock the case. They put a sticker on the bag showing it's been checked, and you check it in as normal. At the other end of the trip, your bag comes out in the "large items" area.

The bags are marked, and that means they're closely watched.

#5 ·
To fly with a gun you need to have a gun case that locks, declare it to TSA, show it and lock the case. They put a sticker on the bag showing it's been checked, and you check it in as normal. At the other end of the trip, your bag comes out in the "large items" area.

According to that, they are not supposed to be any further marked.

I did learn though while traveling with tools that you can lock your stuff up with personal locks, you just have to not lock it when you put it though check in.

#6 ·

nothing could be more inaccurate! your luggage containing a checked firearm should never be marked, it may or may not face addition screening from TSA and it will come out with the regular baggage

#7 ·
As I checked the bag at the TSA location in the Airport (IAH) it was marked by the TSA agent. It is a TSA breakable seal. I had no choice. Since they mark it with their seal, it's not checked further. The same occured in Phoenix for the return flight.

There could easily be differences between airports, given the way that things seem to work with TSA. In any case, this was my experience flying with a rifle (vz 58) and a pistol (M40-A1).

#8 ·
As I checked the bag at the TSA location in the Airport (IAH) it was marked by the TSA agent. It is a TSA breakable seal. I had no choice. Since they mark it with their seal, it's not checked further. The same occured in Phoenix for the return flight.

There could easily be differences between airports, given the way that things seem to work with TSA. In any case, this was my experience flying with a rifle (vz 58) and a pistol (M40-A1).
TSA half the time has no clue what they are doing.
They just do whatever they feel like.

Listened to a guy on the radio from TSA talking about how they train people.
They send TSA Agents in uniform with a fake bomb though the line. Of course they are going to find the bomb then.

This guy said he would ask people ahead of him to push his bag though, he forgot something and he'd be back.

He said he got a bomb though 5 out of 6 times.
Granted it was a fake bomb, but shows the competence level of some of the agents.

They have a job with power and dont care.

#9 ·
When I flew with my Steyr about three years ago, TSA examined my suitcase and pistol in my presence in Tampa and I was then required to lock my suitcase so that it could not be opened again until I unlocked it on the other side. They verified that it could not be opened without the keys and then put it through. It came out with everyone else's luggage on the carousel in Dallas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.