Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy. Newb from Az here. I had a chance to put 110 rounds down the pipe of my new M9-A2 MF yesterday, She shoots a bit left at 10 yards, so I'll have to see if I can adjust the rear sight to compensate for that. The trapezoidal sights are a new thing for me, and will take some getting used to. They seem to work well in acquiring your target quickly, but aren't designed for competition level accuracy (at least they don't work that way for me).
I took the pistol to the range straight out of its case. No cleaning, and no extra lube. It did seem a bit dry to me, but then again, I have a tendency to run my pistols "wet".
Using Federal 115 grain aluminum cased ammo, on the second mag in, I had what I would call a fatal failure. The slide locked up tight, slightly out of battery, and would not budge. Through the inspection hole, I could see there was either a live round in the chamber or an empty casing that failed to eject. Without looking down the barrel, I didn't know which, and without a mirror and flashlight, I wasn't about to find out! After putzing with it and giving it a minor whack with the palm of my hand while the front of the slide was pressed against the wooden shooting bench pointing into the dirt, the slide broke free and a live round popped out of the chamber. Not good. To say I was a bit disappointed at that point would be an understatement, but, maybe if I had cleaned and lubed it (and used quality brass cased ammo), I might not have had the issue. No further issues occurred through the remaining ~75 rounds. She got a good cleaning and lube job after her return from the range. I am cautiously optimistic. Any thoughts on what might have caused the slide to lock up like this?
Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
327 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forum. I haven’t shot much aluminum 9mm. Do you have any marks on the casing or bullet that look odd? Seems weird for it to lock up like that. I would check the round first for odd marks and then move to the ejector and finally the locking block looking for any odd marks. The only time I have had a gun jam up like that was when doing a two gun course a p320 got a rock under the locking block and took quite a bit to get it to unlock. There was marks showing the rock position when we were unlocking the gun. My questions would be, was the primer hit, was the casing out of spec, or was there any debris in the gun. Also the traps get some time to get use to but I love them, the tip of the triangle is where you get the precision from. I can get a hostage swinger pretty easy with it, but new shooter to the Steyr tend to shoot low/left until they get use to its ergos. When you do it becomes a great shooter, but the grip angle being more swept then a Glock throws a lot off. One of my buddies that’s a local Leo is surgical with his Glock 22, but was hitting low with the Steyr until he got use to it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, Zudrick, thank you for the welcome! And I appreciate the guidance! When I picked the round up off the ground, the primer had not been struck and I saw no odd marks on the casing or bullet. I did fire it off through the next mag full, and there were no further incidents. I did not think to look at the ejector or locking block but will do so.
I'll have to say that overall, I am really excited about this pistol. The ergos for me feel spot on and it is what I would call a soft shooter, in that recoil is very manageable. The gun is quite comfortable to shoot.
If I don't see any interesting marks on the ejector or locking block when I inspect, I think I'm going to chalk this malfunction up to the gun being brand new and not receiving the love I should have given it prior to shooting it for the first time. Plus the fact that I was using up the last of my aluminum cased ammo. Next time out, she'll get 200 rounds of Sellier & Bellot or something similar. I might have a bit of CCI Blazer brass tucked away as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, Zudrick, thank you for the welcome! And I appreciate the guidance! When I picked the round up off the ground, the primer had not been struck and I saw no odd marks on the casing or bullet. I did fire it off through the next mag full, and there were no further incidents. I did not think to look at the ejector or locking block but will do so.
I'll have to say that overall, I am really excited about this pistol. The ergos for me feel spot on and it is what I would call a soft shooter, in that recoil is very manageable. The gun is quite comfortable to shoot.
If I don't see any interesting marks on the ejector or locking block when I inspect, I think I'm going to chalk this malfunction up to the gun being brand new and not receiving the love I should have given it prior to shooting it for the first time. Plus the fact that I was using up the last of my aluminum cased ammo. Next time out, she'll get 200 rounds of Sellier & Bellot or something similar. I might have a bit of CCI Blazer brass tucked away as well.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Welcome to steyr family. There are many others w great knowledge regarding steyr firearms.
Just an fyi, m9a2 is a fine pistol. However, many are not used the trap sight and shoot high or low. However, left or right is due to not used to the trigger. BUT, there is also a chance the front or rear sight May be off. So get a caliper and see if both sight is centered. If not, center them and see if that fix the issue. If you can shoot the pistol from bench And see if you get a consistent group. If so, drift the sight(s) to the center of the group.
Good luck and merry Christmas.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Howdy. Newb from Az here. I had a chance to put 110 rounds down the pipe of my new M9-A2 MF yesterday, She shoots a bit left at 10 yards, so I'll have to see if I can adjust the rear sight to compensate for that. The trapezoidal sights are a new thing for me, and will take some getting used to. They seem to work well in acquiring your target quickly, but aren't designed for competition level accuracy (at least they don't work that way for me).
I took the pistol to the range straight out of its case. No cleaning, and no extra lube. It did seem a bit dry to me, but then again, I have a tendency to run my pistols "wet".
Using Federal 115 grain aluminum cased ammo, on the second mag in, I had what I would call a fatal failure. The slide locked up tight, slightly out of battery, and would not budge. Through the inspection hole, I could see there was either a live round in the chamber or an empty casing that failed to eject. Without looking down the barrel, I didn't know which, and without a mirror and flashlight, I wasn't about to find out! After putzing with it and giving it a minor whack with the palm of my hand while the front of the slide was pressed against the wooden shooting bench pointing into the dirt, the slide broke free and a live round popped out of the chamber. Not good. To say I was a bit disappointed at that point would be an understatement, but, maybe if I had cleaned and lubed it (and used quality brass cased ammo), I might not have had the issue. No further issues occurred through the remaining ~75 rounds. She got a good cleaning and lube job after her return from the range. I am cautiously optimistic. Any thoughts on what might have caused the slide to lock up like this?
Thank you!
I had the exact same thing happen to me 3 times (not in a row) with my SIG SP2009. Had me VERY concerned. I was using Winchester White Box ammo. I took it home. Cleaned the **** out of it. Lubed it, and went out again, using Federal American Eagle ammo. Ate the box of 50 down without a hiccup. Not sure if the gun was too dry and needed lube, or I got a box of out-of-spec ammo. But now I only feed it Federal and it has worked fine. I still have the WWB ammo and will use it in my Glock. It eats anything :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts