First Steyr - M9-A1 range report

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Boyandhisdog, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Boyandhisdog

Boyandhisdog Guest

First Steyr - M9-A1 range report

Mixed reviews here. I have a major concern after my trip to the range with my first Steyr.

I got the pistol Friday and couldnt wait so as soon as the range opened up I was there with 100 Winchester White Box target rounds 115 gr. , 50 Wolf target rounds also 115 gr. and a box of 50 Silver Bear Hollow points someone gave me I wanterd to test for carry purposes. My friend let me use his Glock 19 so I could do some side by side comparisons.

Of course I has cleaned and lubed the pistol per specs and the magazines as well so everything was shiny smooth and working fine. The first 3 rounds from the Steyr at 10 yards were right on the button 1" group. The Glock was a little right and about a 2" group. I attribute the pulling to the right to my grip on the 19 since I am left handed and I was not as comfortable with the grip off the bat. I did this many many more times with both types of target ammo and maintained the same group tightness with both types of ammo although I did figure out grip problem on the GLock so I was able to correct the push to the right with it.

I had limited access to combat shooting since the range was busy but was able to get 2 targets for holster draw rapid fire shooting and was able to maintain sub 3" groups with the teyr while I was pulling mostly 4 - 5" groups with the Glock.

I was super excited about the way the steyr was performing. Absolutely no ejector, feed, magazine, or any other problems with the pistol.

Now for the hollow points... Loaded the magazines for both pistols. Steyr went bang, bang, and then stove piped real bad....Popped the magazine, pushed the jammed cartridge out, checked the magazine, and tried again....Bang, Bang, Stovepipe.

Glock went bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, etc.... with no problems for the entire magazine. Same thing with the second magazine.

Back to the Steyr with the other magazine this time... bang, bang, stovepipe.

I will go back to the range with other brands of hollow points tommorrow but I still have a problem with the results from Saturday. To me a combat handgun should fire anything you can get your hands on. If a Glock can feed it, the steyr damn well better also.
    If anyone has any ideas let me know but I will say that if anyone tells me to stay away from brands of ammo that I know work in a Glock I will be swapping the Steyr for the Glock. My life can not depend on the brand of the ammo and even though I love the feel and accuracy, I would rather have the 3 inch groups of 15 rounds than the 1" groups of 2 rounds anyday.

2. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Well, if you MUST give up the Steyr, I will be interested in taking it from you.....

I don't want you to let your life depend on a weapon you cant put good ammo through.....

I'll sleep much better after....

or maybe you should just feed it better ammo?

3. Boyandhisdog

Boyandhisdog Guest

Hey babj, I respect your posts and your knowledge and and experiences with the Steyr and I have read a lot of great things from you but I don't think you are grasping what I am saying here. I certainly may have worded it unclearly so let me try and clarify it. I love the Steyr. I want to keep the steyr. I am sure steyr wants their handgun to be a better handgun than the Glock. In all aspects of its performance side by side with GLock Saturday it is except for one and it is an important one. In a combat situation where your life is completely dependant on your firearm you might at one point have to grab ammo from any source you can and if I have to grab ammo from another handgun laying in the street and the Steyr won't fire it I can not safely depend on the handgun. I will not carry my M&P 40 because of that very reason. Some good brand name ammo will shallow strike on the primer and not fire with it and all S&W says is use different ammo. I still own it because it is a pretty fun range gun and no one will give me squat for it LOL.

I was hoping for some more positive advice and I will call Cummings, Ga. Tuesday and see if they can help out. If I go to a Doctor and tell him my arm hurts when I unzip my pants I dont want him to tell me to not unzip my pants.....

4. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

I am gonna take some heat for this, as I have already here....

Like a highly accurate, precisely manufactured sniper rifle will not shoot well with random surplus ammo....

Nor do the Steyr pistols like to.....

Glocks, on the other hand, are much like the AK-47's of the pistol world... They will eat just about anything you feed them in pretty much any environment you can survive in....

I feel your pain... :wink: :wink:

Refer to the post I linked to above....

Depend on your Glock for worst case scenarios...

If you can control the quality of ammo being used, the Steyr is a great choice....

Now, dont get me wrong, I love my Steyrs also!!!!

In 15 years, I have accumulated only 2 Glocks, and am currently only 2 pistols away from having a nearly complete Steyr Collection....

My first, and only 2 Glocks were purchased long ago.... I only just found my first Steyr less than a year ago... so they have made quite an impression on me!!!

Best 2 You

5. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Just because a Glock eats Shight ammo doesn't make it any better! Never, I mean never feed a pistol you have atleast one single ounce of respect for Wolf ammo! Silver Bear is Shight ammo also, made in Russia. I understand Your point, but there's several other very reputable guns that would choke on that crap! I don't buy cheap(crap!) guns and I never use sub-par ammo(Wolf!). Georgia Arms, Winchester WWB, and even Blazer Brass are inexpensize, but mostly reliable stuff!

My M&P eats anything I feed it and is very high on my list of pistols I own! :roll:

I used to own a Glock, oh what grim times those were! Sorry not a Glock fanboy! :wink:
    _______
    mugdava

6. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Bahd:

Sorry to hear about the problem, but don't let it shake you just yet.
    I would probably leave the Russian ammo out of the mix for a while, since the Steyrs do not like it and God knows what might be on the Russian cases.
    After another thorough cleaning and running a couple hundred FMJs like Winchester White Box, CCI, American Eagle, etc., I would then then try good JHPs.
    If you have malfs at that point, then you can have better confidence that it is not a break-in problem and start looking at specific components like the extractor spring/plunger, feed ramp, etc.

7. Boyandhisdog

Boyandhisdog Guest

Points taken and decision made.... Insight M6 goes on the Steyr and I will run some good quality personal defense rounds through it and use that as my bedside next to the Rem1200 Police 12 Guage. I will get trap sights for the Glock 23 and use it for the carry. The Steyr will get the range time for sure since it is noticeably better as far as accuracy and trigger. If I ever find the time to go do some IPDA stuff I will see if the steyr can go for the same reasons.

Mugdava says his M&P eats anything so I will send mine in and see if I can get them to replace the pin and all since Georgia Arms was what I was getting shallow strikes on. Federal is fine.

8. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

The first batch of M&P's had a bad Firing Pin, but that's been remedied. If Yours is an early one I'd send it off for an upgrade. Give 'em a call on Tuesday, They'll most likely send You a prepaid shipping label. S&W Customer Service is kinda slow, but good.

Oh yeah, earlier today I put 150 rounds of Georgia Arms 357sig(100x 1300fps FMJ & 50x 1400fps Gold Dots) throught my M357-A1 and boy did the bullseyes pay a heavy toll! :twisted:
    _______
    mugdava

9. mike_hk2ksk

mike_hk2ksk New Member

I will add my 2 cents, tho I am not an expert on Steyr or any other handgun. I also received M9-A1 on Friday - my 2nd Steyr. Wanted M357 as a companion to my M40 but ended up with M9.

Anyway - trying to stay on the subject. On close inspection of any difference between M40A1 and M9A1 magazines I can tell you that metal shell and plasic top/bottom parts are identical (well the holes marking the count are not the same but that doesn't matter). The springs however are significantly different. The M40 spring is over an inch longer and much much stronger. I am waiting for two more M9 mags from CDNN, but the two with the gun both have weak springs.

I also went to the range on Saturday - fed both M40 and M9 a combination of FMJs and JHPs and didn't have any of your problems Boy&HD. I did have a couple of FTEs on the 9 - not anymore on the 40.

What I am thinking is that you may want to take a closer look at your springs. If it is worth you while - invest in a 40 magazine and try it out - or swap the springs - see what happs.

You may want to wait for some feedback on that from more experienced people here - hope it helps though....

10. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Not to sound like a complete jerk, but common... can you say mall ninja? If you were in a "combat situation" :)roll:) and your pistol ran dry AND you came across another pistol of equal caliber, you would just use the other pistol. And do you really think the Tango's are going to be spilling extra ammo when the fall down dead like a video game? Or perhaps you'll shoot their pistols smooth out of their hands, so you'll be forced to unload their guns and recharge your mags one round at a time? I just don't follow the thought process here... Carry quality ammo, not that crap you were trying, and a spare mag or two. Should you ever find yourself in a "combat situation" and go run through 46 rounds of ammo and somehow live to tell about it, contact me and I'll buy you the damn glock. The fact that you were actually considering carrying Silver Bear has me seriously questioning your gun-aptitude.

If a semi-auto that will feed anything is your requirement, glock is about your only option. But even then there is no gaurantee - there are tons of glocks out there that have a brand or two of ammo they just plain do not like. I know my Steyr will feed the quality ammo I feed it and I carry an amount of ammo I feel is sufficient for just about anything - YMMV. If it really bothers you that your Steyr will not feed trash ammo, rocks, or anything else that doesn't belong in a quality handgun, let us know how much you want for it and I'm sure one of us can take it off your hands...

/rant off (sorry if that was too harsh...)

11. madecov

madecov Active Member

LOL, Syntax. You said it right. I carry 3 magazines on my DUTY belt. I deal with some of the lowest forms of two legged vermin you have ever seen. In fact I often have a DUTY to approach trouble rather than retreat.

I wear Dark Blue Government issue clothing with a nice bright shiny target on my chest.

If I need to go through more than the three magazines there is something really really wrong.

The average gun fight runs under 5 rounds and is 3-5 feet.

I understand carrying a spare magazine. I understand making sure a firearm is reliable.

I use quality ammunition. I have had ammo a Glock wouldn't feed but a Star pistol would. I've shot stuff through my S&W that won't feed in my Walther. I've had things go in both directions where one gun likes a certain ammo and another doesn't but if I tried something different had the reverse occur.

My Steyr M40A1 has had around 1200 trouble free rounds. Does this mean the gun is reliable? I don't think so, it means the gun has been reliable to that point, it may fail on the next round I fire.

Nothing is certain in the world.

12. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Boy* :)

hehehehehe...

PM me, Dude. I gotta Glock packaged and ready ta go. Even swap! Let me know. :)

Wulf <-- eyes lookin' kinda wolfie