First Post

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by lordcase, Nov 18, 2007.

1. lordcase

lordcase Guest

This is my first posting on this web site. I am by no means an expert on any sort of firearm. I do not hunt, not because of any feelings I have toward wildlife but because I don't like cleaning the kill. If I'm not going to eat it I won't hunt it.
    I love my M40. It is my first pistol. I bought it used and paid a reasonable price for it. It fires every kind of round I put in it, though it did jam once with an aluminum shell. I've shot 1000 rounds through it, employing brass, steel and aluminum shells. I have read reviews of certain ammunition that say this gun or that gun would not load them properly but the M40 does not seem to care what rounds I put in it.
    The level of accuracy I manage with this pistol astonishes me because I am right handed but I can only see from my left eye. My only problem is learning to keep my thumb out of the range of the slide. :?

2. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Welcome!!!

This video Helped me get a grip :lol: :lol:

3. Travis James

Travis James New Member

Morning Lordcase :D

I've owned quite a bit as in terms of pistols over the last 12 years. I have owned verious polymer pistols and my M-40 is by far the best I've ever had the privlege of owning. Unlike the other brands such as Glock my Steyr has a nice break to it when I shoot, not like the mushy triggers that you get on others. You will find that your affection for your Steyr will grow more and more. So what was the reason you decided on this particular pistol? Let us know and welcome to our little family... :D

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Welcome aboard, Lordcase, to the finest weapons forum on the 'Net.

I share your affliction somewhat. My left eye is my master eye and I shoot a rifle or shotgun left-handed, but I'm sort of confused when it comes to whether I'm lefty or righty. I write and eat lefty but do about everything else righty, including throwing and hitting. So when I pick up a pistol, my natural inclination is to go with my "strong hand" which is my right. Which means I used to go to some contortions to line up right hand and left eye.

I'm trying to learn how to shoot with both eyes open, but that won't help you as you're limited to left eye only.

There's some info that might help you in this thread: Both eyes open, or one eye open?

Massad Ayoob has an article in the Guns magazine September issue about cross-dominant eye pistol shooting.

Here's one solution offered in the article:
    [​IMG]
    Steve Denney, cross-dominant LFI instructor, shows the
    McMillan/Chapman one hand correction.

5. lordcase

lordcase Guest

Thank You. After viewing the vidio and gripping my M40 I decided that I had held it that way all along. The problem is more that I cannot even see the target with my right eye. I shoot a bow left handed, it's the only way I can. A 25 degree tilt might alleviate the problem though.

6. lordcase

lordcase Guest

I'll be perfectly honest with you I chose the Manlichter because it felt right in my hand and it was selling for $200, used. I had little real experience with handguns prior to this but life experience has taught me that German, Austrian or Swiss machinery had a better chance of being a real precision machine than something made in France or South America. Of course I have the greatest respect for American made equipment but the S&W pistols in the same case were twice the price. I wanted something that had some stopping power but didn't need a cowboy pistol. All in all I am enchanted with the M40. I am going to a gun show today and will probably pick up something else. At least it will be a comparison piece.

7. lordcase

lordcase Guest

Thank you very much for the links. I think a little tilt to the left might correct the problem. As I said, I am astonished by the accuracy of this pistol. I shoot a bow and a rifle left handed, it is the only way I can, but I really need to shoot a pistol right handed. I shattered my left hand twenty-five years ago and it never worked right since. I am going to a gun show later today and expect to pick something else up. It will work as a compar5ison at least. Again, thank you. I look forward to communicating with you again.

8. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Welcome. You have come to the right place. Great bunch of folks here who are willing to help. I don't know what I would have done without my Steyr Club.

Hey, Net! Tell Steve Denney not to point that gun at me! :)

9. Travis James

Travis James New Member

I agree with you in the price department. Weather you have had numerous guns or not, cost is a large factor in buying any gun. I myself have owned some rather good guns at pretty decent prices and I feel my Steyr M40 at $399.99 + tax will work just as good as a Glock at $700 +. As for feel I couldn't agree more, it does fit perfect. In my case I have rather small hands for a guy and the majority of polymer handguns are about as comfotable as packing a 2X4 to me. One thing you will notice about your Steyr is that it has a large metal sub assembly instead of metal inserts for your slide. To me this enhances strength and gives me a bit more confidence in this gun as I don't feel like I'm carrying a chunk of tactical tupperware. This is assuming you haven't noticed yet, but I'm sure you have done what we all do and that is admire this work of Austrian art and marvel at it's simplicity and functionality...In a word, "Perfect". So far I have put a few boxes of Blazer Brass 180 grain FMJ's through mine and have yet to experiance any problems. If you have any questions feel free to ask. So far this sight has taught me more than I hoped for. :D

10. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Welcome Lord.
    Sounds like a nice .40 you have there. I am cross-dominant and have yet to find a majic way to compensate.