First Pistol Comps Coming Up

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by jwl3715, Mar 23, 2012.

1. jwl3715

jwl3715 New Member

Going to use my M40A1 in an IDPA clinic at local range and then usein competition to follow in April. Also going to try a GSSF match with my G31. I am totally new to pistol comp don't have the depth of experience with pistils that I have with rifles. Any of you seasoned competitors out there have any advice or practice tips for a newbie like me?

2. blueorison

blueorison Member

1. Have fun. This is the most important thing to do, besides the obvious and unspoken BE SAFE. Don't break the 180. However, if you're new, if you're the worrying engineer overstressed type, then nothing can help. But if you're not, have fun!

2. Take your time. At your OWN pace. No matter what advice is given to go at your own pace, most guys always try to emulate the other competitors that are faster. Don't go fast if you're new unless it's YOUR pace. I've had to DQ people because they tried to be someone they weren't and swept the crowd with a loaded handgun (pointed the gun at everyone, basically killing them).

3. Learn from others. Go talk to the nice guys. There will be wannabe tactical guys that might be nice (doubt it, they're too busy being wannabes), but I would stay away from them. Talk to the chill older guys that have been shooting, designing stages, and directing matches. They will tell you what is up and what matters and what doesn't. Most of the stuff you worry about doesn't matter.

4. Watch your sights. Point shooting is fun, but not practical.

5. Don't let the rules bog you down. I shoot all disciplines, and IDPA is one of the most rule intensive disciplines. I don't agree with most of the rules, but you can still have fun. If you break a rule and get a procedural, DONT SWEAT IT. EVEN IF THEY YELL AT YOU. People will be people. Some of them volunteer to RO. I'm always patient and nice but the asshole that thinks he's running the show might not be as sensitive to a newcomer's feelings. At bigger matches and perhaps at GSSF, they usually pick nice guys to RO (or in IDPA, it's called SO hehe).

6. HELP OUT. I always make it a rule to make all the guys on the college team I captain to come early and stay late to help set up and tear down. You should do the same. Pretty much all the disciplines are volunteer-based and volunteer-run. The guys who think they are really important shoot and leave. Those that actually stay and help out are usually the old-timers that know what is up. Stay and eat dinner with them and have a beer afterward. You will learn probably as much as you did at the match, afterward. Also, reset targets and help tape targets. You will notice the same lazy assholes not help out. Don't try to talk to them, it's a waste of time. Just lead by example.

7. Have fun... we live in a country where we get to go shoot guns pretty much whenever we want! Don't let your "mistakes" keep you down, even for a second. Just have a sigh, shake it off, and start the next stage like it's BRAND NEW. :)

8. Seriously. Don't try to take in ALL the rules. Just BE SAFE. LISTEN to the SO. Don't do ANYTHING until he tells you to; don't load before or touch your gun and after you're done don't do anything till he says, "shooter, if you're finished, unload and show clear, slide, yada yada".

:)

hope that helps! I shoot multiple matches a month and hang out with many crowds, and this is from my personal experience. Yours might differ :)

3. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

+1 :agree:

If you get a chance, shoot steels as well.

A well set up 32 target steel stage will teach you to shoot faster, with accuracy, than the cardboard stages. Steel has this delightful ring when you hit, instant feedback. Some of the target types like the Texas Star and Polish Plate Rack will drive you nuts until you understand how to lead targets. And just like the IDPA and USPSA matches, you'll have to move and shoot.

A 35 yard 12"x16" steel is a challenge for anyone. I watched a Master running a 38 Super race gun take 3 shots to hit one, and he had a red dot sight!

Most of all, have fun!