First IPSC match next sunday

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by pepitomenegazzo, Nov 21, 2010.

1. pepitomenegazzo

pepitomenegazzo New Member

Any advice on that??

Im going for it with my M9A1 and its my first match, any input is appreciated,, thanks!!

2. blueorison

blueorison Member

Go very slow.

you WILL want to rush every second and your muscles will be taut and ready to pounce.

Resist this urge and go slow. Pay attention to your muzzle direction so avoid getting dq'd. Don't bring ammo to the safe tables or unholster your gun at ANY time.

Don't do ANYTHING. Always stop and ask the SO what he wants you to do when you are up on the line. He'll tell you when to load and make ready, when to unload, etc. Do not do anything yourself as this will scare him haha

go slow, go smooth, and be accurate.

and most of all, have fun ;)

The last line is the easiest advice to follow, but the rest will be a challenge. Let us know how it goes!

3. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Take gun. Take holster, mags, and mag holders. Take ammo, about 100 more than you should need, or at minimum 50 more. Eye & ear pro. Get good hits. Front sight-press. You'll probably be all pumped up, so "Breathe". Keep muzzle downrange and that stupid damn trigger finger up OUT of trigger area when moving or reloading, or any time you aren't actually aiming.

Show up with the gun EMPTY. Don't take the gun out of the holster to show it to the guy who asks what kind it is. Go to the designated SAFE AREA for that. Put your gun on and take it off at the safe area, and don't mess with any ammo at any time in the safe area.

Have a ball! I love match day, and have to wait a full frickin' week until the next one.

4. blueorison

blueorison Member

I will be doing my firST IPSC match with the Steyr this weekend, so we'll both be IPSC Steyr virgins! :rofl:

(the first time I'm using the Steyr at an IPSC match after having it for a few months and finally ironing out many errr faulty and incorrectly functioning aspects of the pistol...)

5. pepitomenegazzo

Thanks for the replys and tips,, I´m deffinetly trying to have some fun out there.

thanks for pointing out the safety tips and Im going to listen to what the officer says.
    I think the most difficult aspect for me is controlling breathing, ironic because when I fight (martial artist) I dont have any trouble with that,, I think Im going to try some of those techniques for shooting jajaja...

thanks to all... more tips and comments are appreciated.

6. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

If you find yourself shooting through ports in walls, remember to stay well away from the wall, unless there are some 45 degree targets just below the port. If you shoot in a hall and have to move uprange, make sure you keep the gun pointed down range. If you are turning a corner, keep the gun pointed down range and move such that you won't contact any wall when you change direction of travel. Above all, KEEP THE GUN POINTED DOWN RANGE.

The president of the Brazosland Pistoleros told me that when he was young, his father put a dot on the wall and made him practice keeping the barrel pointed at the dot regardless of his motion. Sounded like a really good drill to me.

Above all, as Ben said, have fun! This will seriously ruin stationary shooting at targets for you. It gets even worse when you do a three gun.

7. blueorison

blueorison Member

Great advice, as always, ETH :)

When you reholster, do NOT sweep your hand, leg, or any part of your body with the muzzle :)

8. pepitomenegazzo

Thanks for the replys,, I'll post up the results on monday!

9. pepitomenegazzo

Hi there, couldn't resist till tomorrow, I finished in 4th place out of 18 shooters in production!!!

Had a couple mistakes out there, but nothing important.

one of the tracks gave me a looooooooot of trouble but, it was because (I have to admit) I got a bit nervous. I was in the same group as the 3 guys that beat me, one was the national champion, the other was the central american champion, and the 3rd was another guy that was competing for his 6th time, so I felt the pressure jajaj.. but hey, all your advice worked well and THANKS TO ALL!!!

P.D.

I will try to participate more often now,,, I liked it a lot

10. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

That sounds like an impressive finish for a first time. Congratulations, and have fun with it.

PS jajajaja es espanol. En ingles, se dice "hahaha" o "LOL". Se use LOL si era un marricon o moron, pues.....

11. blueorison

blueorison Member

Sir, let's please keep the threads clean, all the kids in Tejas completely understand spanish/mexican :D

12. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

What did I say?
    Using LOL as punctuation is a clear flag that you are a willing and indiscriminate "bottom" a fact that eveyone knows. Not that there is anything wrong with that, of course.

13. blueorison

blueorison Member

haha I was totally playin with you calling someone "maricon" :p

14. pepitomenegazzo

"hahahhah" sorry I'm Guatemalan, and im not using LOL

15. G-ManBart

G-ManBart New Member

That's not true. In USPSA you can sweep lower body parts (below the belt) while holstering and unholstering, provided your finger is out of the trigger guard. IPSC is more permissive, and simply says that you can sweep during holstering and unholstering (no lower extremity provision) as long as your finger is out of the trigger guard.

Still, I like sweeping as little as possible :)

16. blueorison

blueorison Member

Uhhh I'm not sure what IPSC you shoot, but I'm an RO and you are NOT permitted to sweep yourself... PERIOD.

Especially indicative is what the poster was alluding to; using your support hand to reholster the gun/aid your strong hand hold the holster correctly.

17. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

How can you be an RO? You just started shooting USPSA. Do you mean that you run the timer at matches or that you have been thru the RO course? "G-Man Bart" is an M or GM shooter, and he is talking about IPSC rule:
    10.5.5. Allowing the muzzle of a handgun to point at any part of the competitor's
    body during a course of fire (i.e. sweeping). A match disqualification is
    not applicable if sweeping occurs while drawing or re-holstering a gun,​
    provided the competitor's fingers are clearly outside the trigger guard.

In comparison to USPSA rule:
    10.5.5 Allowing the muzzle of a handgun to point at any part of the competitor’s
    body during a course of fire (i.e. sweeping).
    10.5.5.1 Exception – A match disqualification is not applicable for
    sweeping of the lower extremities (below the belt) while drawing
    or re-holstering of the handgun, provided that the competitor’s
    fingers are clearly outside of the trigger guard. This exception
    is only for holstered handguns. Sweeping does not apply to​
    a handgun holstered in compliance with Rules 5.2.1 and 5.2.7

18. blueorison

blueorison Member

I've been shooting IPSC for about a year, no where close to being as good as you two, I'm sure. I did manage to place first in production at the last match with the M9. There weren't many people shooting, so it is likely I was fortunate. :)

I was speaking on shooters reaching over with their hands and holding their holsters while their firing hand brings their muzzle back and downwards across their wrist/hand that is placed on their holster.

19. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Under USPSA rules, that is a DQ-worthy sweep. Under IPSC rules, it is not, provided the competitor's fingers are clearly outside the trigger guard.

Pretty common problem for new shooters. I know they kindly pointed it out to me when I was new, rather than DQing me.

20. blueorison

blueorison Member

mm hm we had to go over this for my new shooters on the UT squad. They did great, though! Finished last, but training is more important than score; that's what we shoot by.