First handgun(s), need some advice!

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by smores, Oct 4, 2006.

Which combo should I go with?

1. Steyr M-A1 & Walther P22

83.3%
  2. Glock 32 & .22 LR conversion kit

16.7%
  1. smores

smores Guest

Ok, I have some experience shooting, I was in the Army Reserve for a little bit (including ROTC in college). I currently own a Maverick 88 shotgun with 18.5" barrel for home defense.

My birthday is on Nov. 18th, and I will FINALLY be 21 years old. I plan to go down to the shop, order me up a pistol, then go out to get drunk with my friends, co-workers, family etc over the next week until the MD 7-day waiting period is up and I can take my new baby to the range!

Now that I've got all the details planned out, it's time to get to the crux of this thread. Which pistol(s) to choose? The reason I say pistol(s), is because I want a larger-caliber gun (.40 S&W or .357 SIG), yet I want to shoot frequently without going broke, so I want the capability to shoot .22 LR in mass quantities.

I have been a Glock fan forever, and I have been a collector of Airsoft guns (and obviously a player in that sport) so I have a couple Glocks already. I know the feel of the Glock 18C and the Glock 32, so I know the difference between full-frame and compact glocks. I like the compact ones better, and I've fired the 32 at my local range. I was very impressed with my ability to fire .357 SIG, I was able to place shots on the Glock 32 better than I could with a 9mm SIG P226. The Glocks have been around forever, and are proven to be rock-solid reliable. There are also .22 LR conversion kits available for around $200.

Now, I pretty much had my mind set on the Glock 32, but then I laid eyes on the Steyr M-A1. I was turned off from the original M9 series, with the wierd looks. I think the M-A1 looks better on so many levels, I like the universal rail, and the overall design of the weapon is superior (IMO) to anything I've seen. The axis of the barrel to the grip is ingenious. I asked the clerk at the shop to handle the M9-A1, and I couldn't beleive my hands and eyes! The sights came up quickly, and it felt more natural to hold and point than any Glocks I've handled (funny since I've had a couple Glock Airsoft guns for a few years). The glocks seem to sit really high compared to the M-A1. The two downsides I see to getting the Steyr are this: there is no .22 LR conversion kit available, so I have chosen a secondary pistol (Walther P22) instead of using a conversion kit. The other downside is the market is presently flooded with Glock accessories, and parts are readily available. If I have a problem with the Steyr, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to wait weeks to get it fixed instead of a couple days with a Glock.

Also, the choice of calibers is a little confusing. I know the most common Steyrs come in 9mm and .40 S&W, but .357 SIG is available (upon request?). I like the .357 SIG round, but is .40 S&W any better/worse? I definitely don't think I want 9mm. I know the 9mm is cheaper to shoot, but I need a powerful pistol to accompany my self-defense shotgun.

Right now I'm literally split about 55/45 Steyr/Glock. I love the ergonomics, fit and finish, and virtually everything else about the Steyr, but the Glock is a proven and tried weapon. Please let me know what you guys think about what I said above.... I only have a few weeks to decide!

2. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Well, first of all, your at a Steyr website, so most people will probably say steyr. But, I was once in your shoes, so I'll tell you what swayed me. I got the M40, BTW.
    Dont get too hung up on caliber. All three with the right ammo are going to put some serious hurt on anything your gunning at. The differences, IMO, just arent going to be enough to be a deal maker/breaker. I got the .40 because I thought I has a little more bite, but its all about shot placement. For self defence, I might actually recommend the 9mm over the 40 now, because you get 15 shots instead of 12. And that could be a bigger advantage.
    The steyr feels better in my hands, and has much less felt recoil. What this helped a lot was getting my girlfriend into shooting. You might not have that problem now, but trust me, its a lot easier to buy ammo and go to the range if she is begging to go shooting. Also the trigger is much shorter and imo feels much better. Its not a Kimber trigger, but for a DA it really cant be beat.
    As far as the 22, I have no help there, but .22 scoped rifles can be had at walmart for 120 bucks, so I cant imagine pistols being 200 bucks. Maybe they are. But even if you go with the 40, I get 100 round WWB at Wally world for 18 bucks. Unless you are shooting belt fed, that not too bad. On the plus side, if you get a .22 pistol, separate, then 2 people can shoot instead of 1.
    Good luck, and Happy Birthday!
    -RC

Ps - I forgot to add, the steyr is not quite as proven, and there are some reports of FTE's/FTF's. Personally I havent had any, nor have the majority here. If you NEED it to be rock solid, get the glock. If you dont know what cleaning supplies are, get the glock. If you take care of your guns, get the Steyr. Mine has gone about 250 rounds with no problems, but there are reports that steyr like to be oiled more. Bottom line is to take it out and make sure it shoots, and test with ammo it likes. On the plus side SAI has excellent customer service. I sent mine out to have the trigger lightened, it was out of my hands for 1 1/2 weeks. Not bad for ups taking 5 days just to get it there.

3. smores

smores Guest

Thanks for the advice so far! On the weapons maintenance side, I actually have learned to enjoy cleaning weapons. In the Army, we had to clean M16's daily, and I got a lot of practice on the M9's as well. If the only thing you have to worry about is keeping these guns clean, then it's definitely not a problem.

As for the Steyr being a proven gun, I trust this company because they have been producing awesome high-precision rifles and combat arms such as the AUG, ACR, and TMP/SPP. Their success with these weapons (well, not so much with the ACR) is enough for me to put faith in their products.

I like your comment about getting your girlfriend into shooting. I'm considering getting the Walther P22 because it's just under $300 with the 3.4" (standard, non-target) model. And having 2 people shooting at once is definitely a plus. One reason I'm slightly biased against the Glock, is that EVERYONE has them. I drive a WRX sport wagon because people are suprised by the performance, and it's not a Honda (don't get me wrong, Hondas are great cars, like Glocks are great guns).

I appreciate the help so far, KEEP IT COMING! :p

4. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I shoot Glocks as much as I do Steyrs and I like my Steyr's much more...
    ........the only reason I don't go full bore on the Steyr is the lack of parts and aftermarket resources.............as well as no 45cal......... :lol:

5. drsmith58

drsmith58 New Member

Some thoughts for you

Well Cold,
    Caliber selection what a can of worms- so many opinions and it mostly depends on your use and preference. The 9mm is the standard round of US military and used by many LE across the country. Of the 3-calibers listed ammo is about ½ to 2/3 the cost of the other 2 calibers. Many folks prefer the 9mm in competitions because of the lighter recoil and therefore quicker time on follow-up shots.

The .357 Sig. round best analogue is a supped up 9mm greater muzzle velocity, flatter trajectory, and deeper penetration. It is probable the most expensive of the 3 for ammo. Probable because it is the newest and doesn’t yet have the popularity of the other 2 caliber.

The .40 S&W cost wise about the same if not slightly cheaper than the .357 Sig. The .40 cal has become increasingly more popular with LE. And probable considered as the 2nd best personnel defense round behind the .45 cal. The .40 cal trades off between the 9mm and .45 cal. velocity and recoil to stopping power and there is a wide selection of ammo to get the ballistics you desire.

6. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

I like my Steyrs and I had a Sig Mosquito .22 that I sold when I won a Ruger Mk3 22/45 in a tournament.

Having a .22 for plinking is fun, but for learning and teaching on a good .22 is PRICELESS.

To me I always tell people that as long as you are in the same top tier of weapons (ala, sig/glock/Springfield/FN/H&K/Steyr/S&W/Ruger/Berretta/Walther) to go with whatever feels best to you once you narrow it down to caliber/ size/ action type you are looking at. That "fit" to you is what will make the difference in your enjoyment and therefore your practice and ability.

Same goes for the .22's (which is why I went mosquito and not P22 as those were the two I was looking at; but now I couldn't be happier w/ my MK3).

7. Lurker

Lurker Guest

I've got an M40A-1 and a Walther P22 and love them both. Both point amazingly well and have dreamy triggers. I originally picked up the P22 so it would be easier for me to teach my kids to shoot, it fits my 7 year olds hands perfectly, and planned on getting the full size Walther P99 so as they got older they wouldn't have to learn new controls. But after holding the Steyr the Walther P99 left the picture and I haven't regretted it yet. Caliber choice is up to you, I like 40 and my wife likes 40 so it's easy for us. I do kind of wish sometimes that I had a 9 since ammo is cheaper, but hey my birthday is coming up :twisted: Due to the design recoil with a 40 is nothing and if you're handy with a dremel S&W Sigma 15rd 40 mags or 16rd 9mm work well...or so I've heard :wink:

Suffice it to say that in my opinion you won't regret getting the P22 and whichever Steyr you like.

8. tglahn17

tglahn17 Member

Hi, Cold,

I also think you should get two guns instead of one gun and a conversion kit. It's so much more convenient to take two guns to the range than just one and have to strip it and reassemble to shoot the other caliber. I have an M9A1 and the Ruger Mark III Hunter. I've fired more centerfire-format .22s, like the SIG Mosquito and the Walther P22. I'm much more accurate with the Mark IIIs. The nice thing about the Mark III is the huge array of after-market modifications. I installed a Volquartsen trigger and sear in my Mark III. The trigger pull with these parts is incredibly light and precise. Some of the Mark III models also come drilled and tapped for scope mounts. If you're considering a Ruger .22, go with the Mark III and not the 22/45. There's an issue with the 22/45 which can result in the hammer pivot pin going out of position. You can read more about it here http://www.mkiii.org/forum/index.php?sh ... =4504&st=0 Good luck,

9. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

[-X

9mm is more than enough for SD

;)

10. smores

smores Guest

Thanks again for the suggestions...

I totally forgot about the Mosquito! I saw one the other day at the shop, and I thought it was just a .380 or something... I've been reading some posts on various sites, and people with the P22 or Mosquito either have tons of problems, or none at all. It seems the CCI Stinger or Mini-Mag ammo works best in either. Also, in the field I work in (wireless), most "defective" phones have nothing wrong with them. 75% of the issues are caused by user error.

I was actually originally considering a Ruger Mk.II or Mk.III. I know they're classic guns, but the P22 and Mosquito appeal to me more. I'm a combat-gun type guy. I eventually want to get a nice Ruger, because I know the higher-end ones are really precise and good for target shooting.

Right now I'm looking for something nice and powerful (Steyr), and something to plink around with, and possibly get my girlfriend to start shooting. My younger brother will also enjoy shooting the .22.

So, the argument is down to caliber choice for the Steyr, and P22 vs. Mosquito... :twisted:

11. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

9mm is cheaper, kicks a little less, and has more rounds per mag. As an owner of an M40, I say go 9mm. Plus if you want your g/f to get into it, shes gonna want to burn mags like crazy playing. Im thinking of going 9mm myself, for my g/f. Maybe I just want another Steyr :twisted:

12. smores

smores Guest

Ok, it's settled. 9mm Steyr and the P22. I'll save large caliber for my next handgun purchase (probably H&K USP or the CZ97B).

I went by the shop one more time today, and spoke to a misinformed salesman. I asked to take a look at the P22, and as I was handling it, I commented, "so this is the one with the polymer frame, right?" To which he replied, "no, it's actually alloy..." as I flicked the accessory rail a couple times, making a nice plasticky clicking sound. What an idiot. I also didn't like the yellow sights very much, but the trigger pull didn't seem as bad as some people are saying. I liked the placement of the safety, and the decocking feature, but for some reason it just didn't feel like a SIG to me.

I put it back on the wall and picked up the P22. Lighter, smaller, but the trigger felt more crisp. The hammer fell nicely, and it just seems a little better put together than the SIG for whatever reason. Definitley going to pick that one up!

13. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Or you could always get the steyr 9mm and a larger caliber :mrgreen:
    Good choices, range reports are mandatory here!!!

14. smores

smores Guest

As soon as I get each one in posession, there will be range reports. Larger caliber will be in the spring. I want to get one of my cars fixed up a little bit for the next season of autocross (I enjoy motorsports probably as much or more than shooting ;) ).

A side note, I saw the object of my desire, the M9-A1 sitting all pretty in the case today. In the words of Wayne Campbell, "It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine..." Thanks a lot for all the good advice my good fellows!

15. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

16. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Also think about a Ruger .22 instead of the Walther

17. shiroyu

shiroyu Member

I really prefer the Steyr...I know about the reliability of glocks and have shot a bunch 19, 22, 23 etc...They shoot well but one day I saw a steyr M40 used in my local gun shop and asked to see it. The ergonomics and sights blew me away. Unfortunatly for me I live in New Jersey and well 9 months is how long a pistol purchase permit can take. Knowing this I recomended the gun to a friend of mine who recently received his permit. He had picked out a berreta clone but due to a mix up at the shop it wasnt there...long story short he got the steyr...After the first shot down range I knew I would be buying one once I had the money, and was pleased to see the improved design. I now own a M40-a1 and could not be happier. We just got a blizzard here but as soon as I make the hour trip to the range this thing is getting a torture test of 250-300 rounds to see if she acts up....To me the steyr is the way to go since you already said you like taking care of your guns....Be aware though the sights might make me a little biased as I like the quirky things in life like mid engine, turbo or awd cars and my night stand gun has long been a Walther p-38....Oh while we are on it I have a straight pull steyr M95 also...hope this helps
    Vae Victus

18. Bittrich

Bittrich Premium Member

I vote Steyr 9mm and .22. If the SHTF, those calibers are most available and economical.

Bittrich

19. Doc

Doc New Member

I own a Walther P22, and I have to say, the trigger is great, but the gun is a little small in my hands. It tends to be picky on ammo, and the accuracy is... well, not so good. It's a nice gun to simply get a feel for, if you're not used to pistols, but the slide is made of a zinc alloy that is more prone to cracking than other .22 pistols. It has a limited life, and a good chunk of it is spent breaking it in so you're not having cycling issues. Expect to feed it mini mags or other more expensive non-bulk .22 ammo for a while, if you don't want to deal with failures.

It's cheap (between 300-400 dollars). It's a fun gun to plink with and is fun to house a suppressor. But I would recommend something else unless you absolutely have to have it. The accuracy simply kills me to the point where I feel trying to calibrate the sights is useless. For a .22, it does have a bit of a bark to it. While I can't speak to the Sig, Ruger .22 pistols set the bar, by far, in the minds of most shooters. If you get the Walther and pick up another .22 pistol later on, expect the P22 to live in your safe.

But :thumbsup: with the Steyr! I love my M9-A1.

EDIT: and this is not to completely discredit the P22... it has its uses. And I really like most other Walther pistols. The PPS is fantastic. I'm not sure what you're talking about with the decocker though... it has a key safety, which is actually removed on mine (it's... not a good feature... it will actually lock your gun up if you try to shoot while it's engaged, requiring repair), the hammer block safety (as far as manual safeties go, I'm scared of this one... I don't trust it), and the magazine disconnect safety (again, a silly feature IMO... you can have one in the pipe and, if you need it, you're SOL, but then again, if you need it that bad, I would hope you'd be using something a little more potent than a .22).

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010