Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, thanks to ThorInc for inspiring me to finally... bite the bullet? Drop the hammer? Or some other appropriate saying meaning "to stop being a wuss and just buy a damn Steyr." :)

I'd been following the M9 for many moons and decided that when I finally got my firearms license, it was going to be my first gun. Honestly, it was all about the aesthetics at first -- I just love how this thing looks: modern, elegant, and a little chunky (in a good way). But as I learned more, I craved the ergonomics and low bore axis.

The problem was being a Canadian.

We don't have any of the new models here, and being obsessed as I was with the marque, I'd read daily posts about FTE this, FTF that, horrendous space-time-continuum-destroying jams, and so on with regards to the older models. There were 2008 models in Canada, but I had decided those were not an option, and started down the sad road of exploring alternate brands.

Then I read ThorInc's exuberant post about his pain-free Canadian VOT (November, 2008). I couldn't stand it anymore and ordered my new pet, BOT (April 2008), from Wolverine Supplies (who I highly recommend, as an aside). It arrived yesterday.

It fits my hand like a glove, which is nice because I have found most handguns way too chubby in the grip department and I have fairly small hands. And of course it looks the business, even with a Canadian spec extended barrel. I did a basic take down yesterday, which was pleasantly simple, applied a little dab of this and that, then went ammo shopping. I purchased the following:

50 rounds 147g Speer Lawman
50 rounds 115g random range ammo (Canadian BDX, I think its called)
1000(!) rounds 124g Blazer Brass, which was on special at the LGS

Today I took my time and shot 250 rounds of ammo, including all the Speer and range rounds. To be honest, I didn't notice any difference between them and they all fired consistently.

I had zero FTEs (hurrah!), but I did have 2 failures to feed (boo). The first time it happened, there was a total magazine failure: when I ejected it, half the rounds just fell out while the other half were jumbled and stuck inside. Disturbing to say the least. I walked it over to the range folks and they used an arcane double rod device, and with a slightly nervous grimace and squeeze, managed to get everything sorted. They said the follower got pinched in a weird way, causing all the ammo to miss-feed. The second FTF felt similar, but the magazine functioned properly after re-inserting. So I'm thinking this is a magazine break-in issue more so than an actual gun issue. Not too concerned right now, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Accuracy wise... well, I won't go there. I'm not a good shot, well, except with a shotgun. ;) I have very poor eyesight, which is exacerbated by being right-handed but left-eye dominant. So I spent a lot of time experimenting with closing different eyes and keeping them both open. I consistently shoot left and down of my target, so I can compensate at least. I'm fine with the learning process, and am also taking a handling and holstering course in a couple weeks which will help.

Afterward I inspected the innards, and the barrel and slide rails had a fair amount of grit on them. I didn't sequence my ammo brands well enough to know which one was the culprit, but I'll have to pick up a bristle brush. I'm currently just using a bore snake, cloth, and CLP. Again, not too worried. Instead of being scared of disassembling this thing, I actually enjoy it.

So, all in all, I'd say this experience has been a success! I have two more magazines on backorder, so as I use up the rest of those 1000 rounds I'll have a better idea of what's going on with any finickiness.

Cheers.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Super awesome!!!
Sorry Canada's gun laws suck!

I love the feel of my Steyr in my hand. It just feels like I should carry it there all day like an extension.
I've never felt that with any other firearm.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Awesome, awesome!!!!!!!!
Google Brian Enos' Combat grip article and try the thumbs at the target technique.....left & down usually is a result of the trigger pull.
As for the FTFs, make 1000% sure when you load the mags, that you seat each bullet to the very back of the magazine.
Congrats man, I just really enjoy my M9A1, again awesome bro!

HTC Vision on Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, awesome!!!!!!!!
Google Brian Enos' Combat grip article and try the thumbs at the target technique.....left & down usually is a result of the trigger pull.
Will def do. Thanks!
Awesome, awesome!!!!!!!!
As for the FTFs, make 1000% sure when you load the mags, that you seat each bullet to the very back of the magazine.
I tried to stay conscious of this as I was loading. Could be I missed some due to thumb fatigue, ha!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Will def do. Thanks!

I tried to stay conscious of this as I was loading. Could be I missed some due to thumb fatigue, ha!
I practice loading mags with both hands.

It sucks with your weak hand at first, but I actually load faster with my weak hand than my strong hand.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, will try that. Also nice(ish) to know that low and to the left is so common. Found tons of resources after googling. Will prob look for some professional training over the year. I def shoot better when guided.

·
Registered
632 Posts
You shoot low and left when you slap or yank the trigger.

If you want to competition shoot, you have to train to do it and shoot accurate, but for guys like us here who don't, Practicing a nice smooth trigger pull is good.

I found if I use the tip of my finger I shoot better.

Gotta find what works for you.
I don't hold properly either.

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
Check your magazine springs - perhaps even post a picture. I'll bet you got the 9-coil springs that are pretty well known for being garbage. Unfortunately, there isn't much to be done about it - I believe this is the only spring Steyr is stocking now for the lower capacity mags. Can you guys have 17 round magazines in Canada? If so, you might order one and see if your FTF issues disappear (the larger capacity magazine uses a different [, better] spring).

·
Registered
632 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Regarding trigger pull and shooting to the left, I did find the overall trigger travel longer than expected, with the actual action right at the end if it. Prior to owning the steyr, I'd shot more hammer fire than striker fire so there's definite adaptation required.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Certainly in DA so to speak.....the Steyr resets quietly and you may even feel it at about 1/3rd+ of the trigger return travel and it is re-cocked at that point and will fire without the full return of the trigger. I did not know this as I had never fired a Glock or similar before.

·
Registered
38 Posts
One of the 2-3 total FTEs I've experienced was with Speer Lawman as I recall, but I've shot it several times since then with no problem, as well as Blazer Brass. Lawman 124gr or 147gr has been my ammo of choice lately, although I've been able to get good prices on Aguila 124gr locally, and it's been 100% reliable so far. It has been at least 200-300 rounds (currently ~600 total) since I last had a FTF/FTE, which could be a result of sufficient break-in, although I'm also getting better about doing at least a blast of Gun Scrubber and dab of oil after every trip to the range.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chose this rainy day to hit the range and shoot off another 250 rounds of ammo (124g blazer brass). I'm happy to report that I didn't have a single gun malfunction, which means zero FTEs in my first 500 rounds. I did, however, have another two magazine malfunctions. The second time the range officer cleared it, he suggested I give the magazines a hard tap during loading like you would with a pack of cigarettes, and also to be careful not to push too much on the front of the cartridge. I was careful to follow both directions and didn't have any more mag failures for the day, so could just be newbie butter fingers. I'm still going to mark both mags with nail polish or something though, so that I can track potential issues with a specific mag.

Aim wise, I'm getting better. Still not great, but better. Instead of pulling the entire trigger plus safety as one action, I tried keeping the trigger safety depressed while in firing position, then pulling on just the trigger when firing. Tried various flavours of taps and squeezes. Getting there. My range is going to be offering a marksmanship course soon, and I'm doing a holster course next week so I'm confident it will come. Happily, my final two magazines of the day were also my best shots, so its nice to wrap up on a high note!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am happy to hear this sir! And yes, once initially inserted, slam that mag in!

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I smack the back of the mag on my boot heel before putting it in the mag holder. It puts the back of the casings at the rear of the mag and avoids having a nose stick out far enough to case a poor feed. NB I do this for all mags, not just the Steyr.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I smack the back of the mag on my boot heel before putting it in the mag holder. It puts the back of the casings at the rear of the mag and avoids having a nose stick out far enough to case a poor feed. NB I do this for all mags, not just the Steyr.
It's kinda amusing that not having the bullets to the back keeps it from feeding, but all has to do with the feed lips.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts