FIRING 9MM ROUND THROUGH A M40

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by ROO, Jan 31, 2007.

1. ROO

ROO Guest

CAN I FIRE 9MM THROUGH MY M40 WITHOUT MODIFYING ANYTHING? WILL THIS HARM ANYTHING?

2. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Oh my God! 8-O

3. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Sorry bout dat...

Hiya ROO :)

No, most definitely not. Unload your M40 then field strip it. Take the barrel and hold up a 9MM bullet. Ya payin' attention? Take the M40 barrel, a pillow, and a 9MM round. Now, holding the barrel only in your left hand pointed to the center of the pillow layin' flat, put the 9MM bullet in the barrel with your right hand like you're loadin' it. What happens to the 9MM bullet when ya let go of it? 8-O Get it? Nuff said. G'luck and for Christ's sake, get a firearms instructor. 8)

Wulf

4. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

Wulf, Can I shoot a 22 round in my M40 A-1 ?

:lol: MTS :lol:

5. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hey *TN*

Don't be a smartarse. :roll: That's my job. :twisted: And for the rest of ya's, "No, ya can't shoot 22's in your M40's". :roll:

Master Wulf <-- doin' his best not to think about chocolate covered grasshoppers

6. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

It will probably fire, but it could seriously damage the gun/barrel. It is not unheard of for someone to accidently load up a round of the wrong ammo while shooting various calibers at the range. I've never done it personally, but I've read many accounts of it happening - people usually report a very different sounding report of the shot (something like a squib?), the gun usually does not properly cycle, and the bullet keyholes through the target. I have never personally heard of a pistol being seriously damaged from doing this, but it's defintitely within the realm of possibility. Be careful if you are shooting various calibers in a single range trip.

7. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Yup, it does happen. I just bough a used .40 caliber Glock barrel on eBay and from the condition of the barrel this looks to be what happened, maybe this case with a .357 Sig or 9mm. At least that is what a local dealer thought. I sent the barrel to Glock for an opinion and I'll be interested to see what they say. It futzed up the rifling for about the first 1/2 inch and bulged the barrel correspondingly down by the breech enough so that the barrel will not engage the slide all the way down by the muzzle resulting in a horrendous jam.

Buzz

8. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

The only way to shoot 9mm out of your .40 Steyr would be to purchase the following:

Steyr M9 Slide*
    Steyr M9 Barrel
    Steyr M9 Magazine

Assemble and you can shoot 9mm all day long.

But finding just those parts will be difficult and likely more expensive than just buying an M9A1.

*You can't just throw a 9mm barrel in your M40 and expect it to work ... the breech face of a 9mm is different from a .40. It would probably fire once, but wouldn't eject and feed properly).

9. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

don't do it....I've seen a photo of .45 glock blown up that still had a .40 case in the chamber 8-O

10. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

Uh, Buzz? What the hell are you going to do with a futzed Glock barrel?

:?:

11. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Good question. I went back to the seller (eBay) and told him that the barrel was not in "good" condition and that in fact it was unshootable. He told me to take it to a dealer. I told him that wasn't necessary and that I wanted a refund on return. He called me hostile for wanting a refund! So, I took the barrel to my local Glock dealer and they confirmed my observations. I told the seller that I had taken the barrel to a dealer and what they had said. His response? Silence. So, I decided to send the barrel back to Glock to get an opinion on what happened. I'll then take the matter up with eBay but have decided that I won't return the barrel to the seller. I'll tell Glock to just throw it away. This guy would just go and sell it again to someone else and that would suck. I'm out $50 but some other guy won't be.

I'll buy a new factory barrel.

Buzz

12. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

Honorable, but not necessary. File a complaint with ebay. I thought ebay doesn't sell guns. I use gunbroker.com. I'd file a complaint. We all know ebay is a as-is-where-is auction house, but I believe there could be something done. You most likely won't get your money back, but he could get a hand slap out of it. Good luck !

MTS

13. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Ebay does not sell guns. A barrel isn't a gun, only a gun part. A frame is a different matter and is considered the same as a sale of a gun. Slides and magazines are only parts as well.

As to "as is", that is debatable. The sale of an item on ebay is a legal contract and when representations are made as to condition, and relied upon in making the bid, then an item is not "as is". As to the practicalities of the matter I would agree with you that the item ends up being "as-is" in that pursuing a cause of action against someone a thousand miles away isn't realistic nor is it financially feasible for a $50 item. While I will take the matter up with ebay, almost any refund scenario will require the return of the barrel which at this point, knowing what I know, isn't something that I'm willing to do. The seller may not re-sell it on ebay but he will unload it on someone else somewhere. If someone were to try and shoot that gun with that barrel it could very well go ka-boom. That barrel needs to be buried. With the barrel now in Glock's hands I'd doubt that they would let it out of their possession.

Buzz

14. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

You rock, Buzz. 8)

Just thought ya oughtta know.

Wulf

15. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Rock-n-Roll baby!

Quick question since we seem to have solved the question of shooting the wrong caliber out of barrels, but the mention of a 9mm out of a 40 reminded me of a question that I have.

When you use the 9mm conversion barrel for a Glock 27 (.40) or 33 (.357 SIG) do you need to change the ejector?

Buzz

16. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

I would think so, because the .40 case is different from the 9x19 (and the .357SIG is nothing more than a .40 necked down to 9mm)

17. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Buzz :)

What he said --> Zund* :eek:

18. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

ejector may be fine but extractor may need to be changed

19. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

"Extractor" was what I meant to say.

Buzz