Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm a new firearms owner, with the Steyr M9-A1 I just got being my 3rd. First was a Ruger 10/22 and second was a Walther P99 AS. The Ruger is OK (going to mod it pretty heavily) and the Walther is phenomenal.

I got the bug for guns from my girlfriend, who is an old-timer who collected Com Bloc long guns (mostly) from before the ban. Nice stuff, very old. She is from California, and we lived there a bit till a couple years ago. Anyhow, when we moved to GA we thought it's be good to get back into guns for her and for me to get into them too. Got a 10/22 cause they're cheap and simple. I've had fun with it, but it's a toy and a project to customize.

I've been seriously considering concealed carry since GA is a very liberal (as in free) state for CCW. Needed a pistol too, since ammo is cheap to learn with and ranges are plentiful. Went to some stores, held a lot of guns, was blown away with the Walther P99. Mind you, from Internet research I wanted a Steyr in the worst way. But no one has any to fondle, so I got the Walther. Couldn't be happier with that gun. It's sophisticated, quality, and 100% reliable. I probably will start off carrying this gun, since it has a DA trigger and a decock.

Anyhow, to cut to the chase:

My Dad floors me by asking me "How much was that gun you wanted?" So now thanks to this forum pointing out the great deal from Dan's Ammo I have my first Steyr pistol.

Why Steyer? It's dead sexy. The shape looks like something out of Sci-Fi, Anime, etc. In short - The Future. I fell for the Steyr for the same reasons people fall in love with cars, boats, or any other object made by man.

I love the info and help available on this forum and I'm glad to be here!

·
Registered
200 Posts
good for you bro I am the same way with Steyrs, Cars also for that matter and would be that way for boats but I cant afford those yet. The ergonomics combined with the ascetic make Steyrs well like Porsches for me. Plenty of other good cars and guns for that matter but Porsches and Steyrs seem to have perfect balance of raw awe inspiring power and the sex appeal and smoothness of operation that screams refined luxury. Its like I appreciate muscle cars and Mercedes but something in the middle is for me and I feel the same way about Steyrs however that Walther you have is on my list also...Welcome oh ps these guns sometimes take some break in Id say put a few hundred down range the first time to work out the kinks... good luck

·
Registered
229 Posts
twinkie, you have some mighty fine taste in guns. Walther and Steyr are two of the top of the line,quality, teutonic made firearms availlable. the other being H&K and some say Sig Saur. i really do like Walthers and Steyr's. i believe they are much much higher quality than glock. and i carry a glock every day. and shiroyu is absolutely right about break in,500 to 1000 rds. and you are right the Steyr's are drop dead SEXY, very modern ergonomics.AND i encourage you highly, GET YOUR CCL. it will become a whole new world.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's that the license costs $80 here in GA and right now I need more practice and mental preparation before I can trust myself carrying. $80 = more ammo and range time! :p

I don't know about Sigs... I handled some Sig 556 and 515 rifles a week ago or so. They felt like crap! Bad fit, finish, actions, etc. Was really disappointed. Not sure about handguns but Sig seems really stodgy. Not really my bag.

H&K... I've avoided touching one on purpose because what I fall in love with a $800 gun? Also they just seem really over-priced.

My GF's Glock 17 is a nice gun, but it really shows its age. It's a gun from the 70's... and things have moved on since then. Don't get me started on the 1911. Haven't fired one, don't really want to. I will if anyone offers, of course. :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
a glock from the '70s?
FWIW the basics of a glock hasn't changed all that much over time, your old g17 isn't too much different than an new one to warrant ditching it for a new one. you might consider refurbishing it if it's seen a lot of range time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was wrong, the Glock dates from 1983, not the 70's. Regardless, an older design.

The Glock is going to be our project gun- We already replaced the disconnector with a Lone Wolf version which made the trigger WAY better. Probably will be replacing the stock sights with some XS ones. I'm curious if those sights are as good as some claim for rapid acquisition. If they are, they might become the sights for my carry gun of choice. We'll also be replacing the magazine release with an aftermarket one, since the stock one is a bit too small and square.

The Glock will also probably be our first foray into suppressed guns and the joys of the NFA. Lone Wolf has threaded barrels for $125 I think, which is a steal. Anyhow, stuff to look forward to.

The main thing we don't like about the Gen 2 glock is the lack of an accessory rail. Oh, well. Not the biggest deal all things considered.

·
Registered
229 Posts
one of the things i do to my glocks is- wolf guide rod ,it is more precision made and i think helps some in the accuracy area. also i use the lightning strike titanium firing pin safety plunger, it also Greatly improves trigger pull in the glocks. the one main difference between the steyr and the glock is the frame harmonics and flexing during firing. if you watch slow motion camera footage of the glock being fired you can see what i mean. the glock frame flexes all over the place . because the steyr runs on all steel sub-chasis i don't believe they flex like a glock does during firing, although i have not seen slow motion of a steyr being fired. and i am being specific on the wolf guide rods. everyone makes a steel guide rod for the glock but it is my humble experience that WOLF is the BEST. i also use a wolf 19 lb spring because the glock spring will not fit on the wolf guide rod. one must use wolf springs with wolf guide rods. the stock glock spring is 17 lbs. i prefer a 19 or 20 lb spring. of course i also replace the sights. ameriglow orange dot front, meprolight green rear. i wish STEYR made a 10mm. i would be all over that like white -on- rice.

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
Why Steyer? It's dead sexy. The shape looks like something out of Sci-Fi, Anime, etc. In short - The Future. I fell for the Steyr for the same reasons people fall in love with cars, boats, or any other object made by man.
:lol: That was sort of what I was thinking when I bought my first Steyr, too. I thought it was blocky and homely, but in a not-at-all unpleasant way. Go get your carry license and get a good kydex holster for your Steyr (Blade-Tech would be my first recommendation). It was only a few years ago that I started carry, and I had the same sentiment - I began with a USPc because I wanted a SA/DA trigger (seemed safer). All of that will go out the window in no time - you will get comfortable carrying a firearm fast, and you will realize that they are all the same when riding in a quality holster. Be smart, careful, and deliberate with your actions, and any pistol you carry will be safe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts