Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well guys, it took about 2 months but finally got to shoot my steyr, very nice shooter, i was at the rifle range, sitting from the bench very nice, 25 yards away, i think a little to far for a pistol, but i was just happy i could shoot. It was a bonus i could sit at the bench too, i could not stand because i am over 6ft and the over hang was in the way, some short people were able to stand, it is way nicer to sit, easier on the legs and back. I can't say it was very accurate, i was hitting the target but i could barley see the holes from were i was sitting, maybe i will have to find a scope for my m9a1. I was using win ranger 147 gr fmj fn, was very nice ammo, it was bad because i only took 100 rounds, that did not last very long, and the uplola speed loader is a must have tool for any one. Best 35 bucks ever spent, except for that time i ................. use your imagination lol. ttyl guys.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
good times. what kind of groups were you getting? do you guys have birchwood casey "shoot-n-see" style targets available up north? i use them when shooting rimfire cause i wouldnt be able to see the groups without em!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Bosman asking about a scope on the Steyr got me thinking if it would even be possible to do that. I don't think the poly frame has enough material to hold the scope mounted on the side like a race gun. I wonder if someone could make a mount to attach on the rail but position the scope over the slide....kinda like putting your arms over your head to form a circle.

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
There are picatinny rail adapters that wrap around the top of the slide and provide an optics platform. I've seen at least one of these used on a Steyr carbine kit setup. I believe the generic glock versions work just fine...

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
i just used an airsoft pistol scope mount..... specifically this one http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.php?products_id=26628
but there are other styles like:http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.php?products_id=26628
http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.php?products_id=30739
search "pistol scope mount" on amazon.com for a few more...

the glock ones do work pretty well across the board, my lawyer uses on on his XD45, but he did dremel off the the one support @ the back where the pin passes through the frame because, obviously it didnt match up to anything on his XD.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know what, those rails mounts would be worth trying out, and not expensive at all. What would be a good scope to put on it for our steyrs. That might be my next thing i save my money for. I think the groupings were hitting the target, but i left it there, i did not wait for a cease fire to be called, there was a lot of shooters, it was not worth saving lol. i think the groupings maybe within 10 inches. here is the target i was using. I don't think the trap sights are good for long distance, i think i will get some trijicon night sights ohhh yah. I was a little dark with the over hand to, the night sights might be more visible.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
The shortest of those scopes is nearly 9 inches long and the other three are around 11 inches long. Maybe it's just me but I think that would look a tad comical sitting on top of a pistol...

Purple Trigger Gun accessory Recreation Magenta

That scope's about 4-5 inches long but is on a smaller-framed pistol.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
i beg to differ, i have fine groupings with the trap sights out to 50 yards with my shoulder stock installed. may be a different story as just a pistol. I can say that the other day when i had to qualify for ccw instructor @ 15 yards, i had 20rounds under 4 inches, nothing to really brag about but i was pleased with it.

but i would agree that a 9 inch scope on the steyr would look kinda silly without a carbine kit installed as well. and most of those scope mounts were plastic and may not hold the weight.

look for some nice pistol scopes!!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, those scopes would look gay. I think those recticle red dots are far better, nc star has a bunch. I just think the trap sights were a little hard to see, the lighting was not the greatest, it was around 3pm, but being in the rifle range, it is enclosed except for the front, with a large over hang so no sun light. that's why i think bright sights would be a lot better. 15 yards would be a lot better for a pistol with a 4 inch barrel.

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
I wouldn't go slapping a RDS or scope on it just yet - after all, it was your very first time out with the gun and you were shooting at a pretty good distance... what did you expect? one ragged hole? Steyrs are awesome guns, but they don't shoot themselves... You just need some trigger time.

The traps will take some getting used to. I ditched them on my first M9A1 and then later decided I liked them again - I just never really gave them a fair shake the first time around. Luckily, I have one of each these days, and the traps definitely have appeal.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes you are right syntax, i really was not expecting anything, as long as i was hitting the target and having shit loads of fun, thats good enough for me, also it was soooo sweeet to shoot. I was sitting at a bench, that was way better then standing. Next time i will bring way more ammo, 100 rounds was gone fast, with the uplola speed loader, loading the mags was fast and a breeze. I think i am really addicted now. The sights are fine but at the rifle range, it is enclosed and the over hang is pretty steep so no sunlight gets in, that's why i said i was having trouble seeing the sights. I will shoot it a lot more, then i will see if i need any accessories.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bravo Bosman!
After all this time you got to take your Steyr out for shoot. I would try shooting at 10 yards and then you can see what you are right/ wrong with your pistol. Take your time and enjoy. My wife seems to enjoy her Steyr more everytime she shoots it!
I never had the problem of ever being too tall for anything!
PPP

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shoud try crossman hollow point. I've shot both red fires penetrate better but overall hunting small game the crossman outperforms.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts