Finally got to the range to shoot my new M9A1....

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by kraigster414, Nov 17, 2007.

1. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

This was quite an experience and it brings home the point for why it's nice to own multiple guns. Shooting my new M9A1 for the first time was like no other experience I have had with with a poly semiauto and it was a great change of pace. I put 225 rounds through this baby, a mix of 124 gr. Hydra-Shoks and 115 gr. WWB and Blazer Brass. To prep Fraulein Steyr, I liberally coated critical parts of the frame and slide with what I think is one of the best lubes out there - Brian Enos' "Slide Guide Lite" recommended for carry weapons. It performed great. I had a few instances of the slide not locking back on the last round but I attribute that more to my grip than anything else, ditto for one FTE, otherwise all went very well.

What did I learn? First off, there is indeed a learning curve with the trap sights. My first 50 rounds or so were in the center of mass at 7 yards but dispersed. Once I discovered that I needed to position my index finger higher on the trigger safety (so the top of my index finger was making contact with the bottom of the frame) and not to use the tip of my finger to squeeze, my accuracy improved significantly. When I was not exerting finger pressure high enough on he trigger safety, I found the reset was a bit sticky. By moving my index finger higher, this went away and the felt stickiness went away. Is this common? Anyway, by the end of the session there was just one big ragged hole where Mr. Bad Guy's paper chest used to be.

Now that I think I have the technique down pat, it will be interesting to see how the next 200 rounds go. Another thing that caught my eye after field stripping when I got back home, was how little evidence there was of friction wear - no bluing removal on the slide rails and virtually none on the exterior barrel including the hood. That may be a credit to the "Slide Glide Lite" lube, I don't know but I'm not complaining (I really believe in that stuff).

To sum things up, I am very pleased and have decided not to swap out my trap sights for conventional sights unless someone introduces trap sights with Tritium inserts. But I AM anxious to install one of Big Taco's SS recoils spring assemblies. I hear they are a worthwhile upgrade.

2. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I do believe, sir, you are the very first here at Steyr Kingdom who has acknowledged also being a user of Brother Enos' magical Slide Glide Lite. I, too, am a believer and use it on all my auto pistols, steel and polymer alike.

When I first joined SteyrClub, I read a mention somewhere here by someone asking if anybody used Slide Glide, but nobody volunteered any info. I googled it at some point and found Brian Enos' site, so I ordered some. It's cheap so why not?

Seems to me that since I started using it, all my pistols smile when I shoot them. And they seem to shoot better.

As for BT's SS guide rod, most definitely do so. I got the black-anodized rod with captured spring and love it. :mrgreen:

3. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

:D Net, you and I are kindred spirits for sure. I think Brian's Slide Glide Lite is THE very best lube for breaking-in a new gun. It stays put and is light enough so it doesn't interfere with function - important when parts have yet to be smoothed-out. It ain't cheap but I'm sold on the stuff. And once your gun is broken-in, it's super to use indefinitely. The LITE version is specially designed for carry guns. I use it now in all my semi-autos. What did you think of my other observations? Thanks. :)

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/slide-glide.html

4. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

OK guys I just put in my first order for Brian's Slide Glide Lite....

So how about some info on what parts to put it on.. Is it just for the rails or do you use it other places too??????

5. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Heavy, 'same places you would normally put oil/lube including the exterior of the barrel (front to rear) and you don't need much. Brian Enos sells a little brush to apply it with if you don't have. For the trigger sear, I still apply a little Militec or other quality synthetic oil because you want it to seep in.

6. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Thanks..
    I'll let you know what I think after I get to shoot with it...

7. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Have ya disassembled your magazines and checked the springs inside ????

Maybe ya got some weak springs?

8. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

No but I will, thanks. What am I looking for boss?

9. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Read the post I referenced completely, and if you have more questions, PM me!!!

:wink: :wink:

10. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Roger that and thanks.

11. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I've used Slide Glide Lite only on the rails of the frame and inside the slide rails. I'm not real big on reading directions (surprise, surprise!) and hadn't even considered using it on other friction points, but that makes sense.

And I use it on my new and used pistols. I'm sure a little lube in the right spots is good for any pistol, old or new.

As for the cost, I figure the one plastic jar I bought is probably going to last slightly longer than forever with only six pistols to use it on. Now if I owned 1,000 pistols... boy wouldn't that be a great "problem" to have. :mrgreen:

12. azerious85

azerious85 Guest

congratulations on the new purchase, slide glide is always with me when i clean ;-)

13. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Sounds like a good start

14. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

'Just put 250 more rounds through the gun - a mix of Blazer Brass and 124 gr. standard Hydra-Shok and not one single failure of any kind. I attribute the problems I had on "Opening Day" (slide not locking back after the last round occasionally) with two defective 15-round magazines (unfortunately they are the ones that came with the gun) - both of which had way too short 10-round springs installed. I've yet to be able to figure out that one. At any rate, they are on their was to Cumming, GA for spring replacements.

So where do I stand now after 500 test rounds? I have a terrific solid performer and I am getting more and more used to those trap sight. :)

15. nixon

nixon Member

Karigster,
    I have about 450 with my M9 conversion kit and everything is great except a few failure to eject/extract which I believe is ammo related (used some less than ideal quality ammo-Ultramax factory reloads) but all the others were perfect - Speer lawman, amer eagle. About getting used to the tri-traps - I try to up my concentration a notch higher than I normally would with my other guns and it helps. One thing the tri-traps has for me is the advantage of getting it aligned more consistently than standard sights shots after shots because of it's natural pointabilty.

Nixon,

16. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Nixon (now there's a handle :)), to give you an idea how green I am with regard to the MA1, I have no idea what an M9 conversion kit is! But I agree with you 100 percent on the the trap sights. Your experience/technique mirrors mine. Stick to Speer Lawman, even WWB, Blazer Brass, Am Eagle for practice. I had nothing but problems with UMC in my Walther P99 but Ultramax worked fine. Guns are like kids. You never know what to expect.

17. Excellent work in tracking down that problem to the mag springs. I certainly hope the next batch of pistols imported into the USA have resolved this issue for future Steyr purchasers.

18. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Interestingly enough none of the mags marked 14 vs. 15 have had the too short springs. I am almost inclined at this point to buy only those. I managed to get the last one from gunandholster.com. Frankly, this is the one of the strangest things I have ever encountered. To Steyr's credit, they agreed to replace the short springs and get 'em back to me fast. Long story made shorty, I urge anyone experiencing problems to examine their mag springs. It only takes a sec to do and it could be the source of your problem. I just got a new mag from CDNN (marked 15 rounds) and that one too had a too short spring. Weird as hell.

19. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

They didn't last long enough for most of us Steyroids to change underwear. CDNN obtained from somewhere unknown a small number of 9mm and .40 S&W replacement slide kits for the MA1s to convert .40 to 9 or vice versa.

Someone here at SteyrClub discovered them, word spread and they sold out before I could get one... sniff, sniff!

Wulf wrote CDNN to ask where the came from, but they refused to divulge their source. Who knows?

Those lucky few who got a kit say they're great. Maybe another batch will appear someday. Who knows?

20. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Thanks Net. You snooze you lose I guess. :)