finally got to shoot my new S40, and it broke!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by polik6887, May 8, 2007.

1. polik6887

polik6887 Guest

EDIT: on my second range trip it broke, scroll down for details.

I finally turned 21 and got my steyr s40. I was out shooting all day and not a single malfunction of any kind. went through a couple hundred winchester FMJs, and 10 federal JHP (those things are 1$ a piece :shock: ). anyways I have a few questions.

1) when I insert a full magazine on a locked open slide, the slide will release and chamber a round before I hit the button. I think the bullets are hitting the release, because it only works with a loaded magazine. Is this normal?

2) the plastic on the locking device is so worn that, you don't have to push the lock in to flip down the take down pin. Is this normal? should I get a new plastic lock piece so that the take down doesn't get accidentally held open?

3) I heard that they redesigned the trigger three times (?? 8#, 5#, and most recently 6# ??) how do I tell which model I have?

thanks a lot. I love this gun. I have shot many pistols, but this is the first one I have owned, and I couldn't be happier. but you always find things to nitpick. at least I do.

EDIT: on my second range trip it broke, scroll down for details

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

1) Yes, it is normal and most modern handguns do this. Some require more force than others when "sending the mag home" to cause the slide to drop.
    2) This is normal as well. You must push slightly in on the button to move the takedown lever out of the "normal" position down to the position required to remove the slide. I take it your S40 is used (from your response)?
    3) I'll leave for someone else - not my area of expertise :wink:

Congrats on your purchase, btw! Gotta appreciate the enthusiasm of a guy who can't wait to turn 21 so he can buy his first handgun :). Where did you find your S40, and more importantly, do they have any more?

3. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

1) is a FEATURE. faster reloads!!! keep your finger out of the trigger guard!! (always until you intend to shoot)

it is actually a raised piece of the follower that pushes the slide lock up. when bullets are present, there is nothing to push this lock up, nor anything to release it. there is not much engagement/surface contact between the slide lock and the slide and it is very common for the force of mag insertion to be enough to allow the slide to close. you'll learn to love it. never plan on it happening. always be prepared to release the slide by pulling it back. but don't let this trait concern you.

2) don't worry about it. the takedown lever is held in place by the spring force of the recoil spring. it won't accidentally pop down, releasing the slide. though the lever may hang a little low and look as though it may.

3) 8# would be strictly 10,xxx and down. all of which MAY have been replaced as steyr offered the lighter trigger as a free upgrade. as far as 5#-6.5# i'm not sure what ranges they ran. i'd believe the 5# to be 10,xxx - ??? nothing scientific here but my two are in the 32,xxx-34,xxx and have 6.5#. i'd assume it safe to say that 32,xxx and up would be 6.5#. not sure when the 6.5# would have started. could have been as early as 26,xxx... or maybe earlier. just speculating on this.

enjoy. you have the most coveted of all the steyrs. you'll amaze your friends with how accurate a 3.5" barrel .40 s&w can be.

4. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Unfortunately I cannot get any of my guns, except my Glock 17L, to chamber a round upon mag insertion. :cry:
    Do you know how many rounds were put thru it before you bought iy?
    If it has not been stripped and fully cleaned and inspected, you might want to consider that.
    Good luck.

5. polik6887

polik6887 Guest

yes I bought it used from bullseye guns. spent 400 on it, plus 28 tax, and 50 shipping. plus 35 transfer fee. coulda got a brand new M40-a1 for less, but I wanted the safety and the compact model.

[email protected], sent me an email saying he had a NIB one for sale. cant say as to whether he still has it. he was asking 575$ but I'm sure he will go down cause that is ridiculous.

glad to hear that these arn't problems. I will check the serial #, but my trigger seems really heavy, compared to the A1 model I handled. it is super crisp though.

6. polik6887

polik6887 Guest

I am so fucking pissed off right now. the second time I shot my s40, the frame broke. right in front of the front guide rails, the retaining plastic sheared off ON BOTH SIDES. I didnt check it before but the rails now have a tiny tiny bit of play. it didnt jam once, but the peices fell out when I took it apart to clean it.

does this really even matter? I mean cosmetically it pisses me off, but the gun still shoots fine. what else holds the rails and sear mechanism in place?

I assume SAI will replace it with an M40-A1. which I could have bought for cheaper in the first place. but should I do it?

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Could you put up some pictures? I admittedly know very little about the S series, but I believe some flaking on the S40 is a "known issue" and is not considered to be a serious problem. I'm sure someone more qualified will be able to elaborate...

It's your gun, so if it is going to bug the heck out of you, I would pick up the phone and call SAI. No reason to sit on a gun you're unhappy with. Actually, if it's just the "known" wear and tear I described and nothing serious, you might be able to unload it to a forum member (babj615 - you listening? :p) to recoupe most of your costs.

Sorry to hear about your luck :(. I'm beginning to think we're in the middle of a cursed month with some of the luck of a few of our forum members the past few days... Keep us posted with whatever you decide to do. :)

8. polik6887

polik6887 Guest

I will try to post pics, I think my girl has a digital camera. she gets off work at 6, so I will try and get them up then. honestly I dont give two sh**s about cosmetic "flaking" but it apears that the peices hold the rails in place, or at least keep them from shifting forward.

9. polik6887

polik6887 Guest

cant figure out how to post pics so just go to:

Edit:link removed (it had my real name on it), problem solved

the first picture is much better, and it shows the location of the chipping. the left side you can see only lost a little on the top front, the right side is almost completely gone, except for a peice at the top.

is this plastic cosmetic, or does it help align the guide rails?

what hold the rails and sear mechanism in place, the take down pin?

10. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I would talk to SAI. Its sure not going to get any better as you continue to shoot.

11. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

it's fine!!!! 100% fine!!! cosmetically? only you will know it's there.

that chipping has ZERO to do with the aligning of the rails. those little tabs only serve to locate the metal sub-frame in the grip until you get the takedown lever installed.

i have an s40 and mine did the same thing. lots of other people's s40's did the same thing. i shoot the crap out of it whenever and don't think twice.

look at it this way... if those two little plastic tabs made all the difference in the world, they wouldn't be plastic and my gun would have KB'd by now i assure you.

you can call sai... not sure what they'll do about it. if you don't want the gun anymore, i'm sure that babj would LOVE to take it off your hands as would i as would any number of collectors looking for the s40.

but don't sweat it. shoot the snot out of it.

12. polik6887

polik6887 Guest

glad to hear it big taco. I was surprised that they would use plastic to hold such a critical peice in place.

then again, I was also surprised that they designed the recoil spring retention so badly that it would shift and tear into the sides.

either way, I talked to SAI this morning and they said they would replace the frame for me for 40$ cause they had a spare one for S40 layin around. hells yeh :D we will see how long it takes for this one to chip in the same way :roll:

this gun really does run great (even with peices of plastic flying around inside). still im just a little skeptical after chunks of the frame broke off. any tips to keep the recoil spring from shifting around the front lug?

13. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Hopefully this little problem will be corrected in future models. [Hint hint, SAI]

14. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Why are they charging you $40? Is it because you bought it used? I'm actually a little surprised you are paying anything out of pocket. :?

15. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

most of what follows is purely satirical sarchasm.......

that sucks!!! for me!!

i called about two weeks ago and BEGGED for that one last S frame that i just knew they had laying around and was told that this wonderful frame was in fact a figment of my imagination!!!

maybe they have s40 frames laying around? maybe they ran a new batch?

either way, i'm gonna have to rethink my standing on SAI's customer service.

is it really THAT hard to dust off the old crystal ball and know that I need an s40 frame? c'mon guys... you call yourselves mind readers? i know my number is "2" on the speed dial, right after wulf :wink:

the next time the janitor finds an s frame in the ladies room, i better be the first to know about it.

16. uncle_walty

uncle_walty Member

Since so many S40s had this problem and the tabs do not apear to be structural and affect function when missing, maybe more reliable to stay with the already broken in frame. Even though the tabs floating around this time didn't cause a malfunction, hate to have it happen and cause a malfunction when it counts.

17. polik6887

polik6887 Guest

yeh your probably right walty. but I already sent it off. so what are you gonna do

I might try and notch the rear of the guide rod so that it sits on the front barrel lug more securely, and doesnt shift around.

if that isnt feasable, I might grind down the tabs, so that some remains to line up the guide rails, but so they are small enough to not get hit by the spring and crack off again.

all around its a design flaw, do the A1's have the same problem?

18. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I've never seen one that did. I'm almost positive this problem is isolated to the S40 - has anyone experienced this problem with a S9? The real question is, will the S40A1 have the same problem? :shock:

19. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

the problem is s related. never heard of an s9 doing it though.

prolly because the 9mm round is to wimpy to beat up on a steyr frame!!! :wink: doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

this is DEFINITELY going to be addressed in the up and coming s a1 series. if you've seen the pre-production pics, you'll notce the slide is extended "a little bit". this will allow for a few things that singularly or cumulatively will fix the problem.

allow a larger head on the guide rod, allow bigger tabs more like the m series, keep the slide a comfy distance from the frame during recoil, and give the pistol that extra little bit of angularity that says, "look at me!! i mean business!! i got my slide poking out a little bit so you can sense the urgency in my being pointed at you, you dispicable bad guy."

or something like that.

20. polik6887

polik6887 Guest

well I talked to SAI today, and they replaced the frame for free. In fact it is already sitting at the UPS store back in VA. now that is great customer service, especially on a used gun.