Finally finished my Evil Black Carbine!

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by smores, Nov 26, 2007.

1. smores

smores Guest

I was going with a semi-XM177E2 look, but I like the A2 sights better. Even managed to find a retro-style sliding stock, although it's made of plastic and has 4 positions, not 2 like the original. Until I get an SBR stamp, I can't use the real XM modulator (or a correct copy), so there's a 5.5" semi-XM permanently-mounted flash hider on the 11.5" barrel. It's got M4 handguards, side swivels for a 3-point Giles sling (should be here any day). Don't know if I'm gonna throw a quad rail on it yet, but I love it so far! What do you guys think (sorry for the crappy pic, I hope to have better ones soon!)?

[​IMG]

2. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

I like it!!!!

you've done well.....

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Lookin' good! I'm still trying to decide what to get my AR for Christmas... :twisted:

4. amonkey

amonkey New Member

Yeah, that looks really nice, I love the old school look. :wink:
    Have you fired it yet? I was wondering if the 11.5" bbl makes any difference in recoil or muzzle rise. I've heard some say that it makes rapid, follow up shots difficult.
    And does the 5.5" flash hider make a diffence in balance to you?
    I'm trying to decide on what to go with for my next purchase...

5. smores

smores Guest

I'm gonna be zeroing the sights today. Honestly, it feels perfectly balanced. I really only have extensive experience with the M16A2, which is obviously longer and heavier up front. I like the stock at the middle 2 positions (not all the way closed, not all the way open). It puts my nose right behind the charging handle for proper sight picture.

I'm not sure if I'll get to rapid-fire as daylight is fading but I'll get a range report ASAP. I like it just as much, if not more than my AK (well, Arsenal SLR-106FR). It seems better balanced. I remember the recoil of the AK being very light, as it has the AK-74 muzzle brake. The M16A2 also just sort of moved around, not giving much of a kick.

I've got the H4 heavy M-4 recoil buffer in there so hopefully it will counter some of the recoil due to the short barrel. It's hard to tell from the pic, but the flash hider cuts aren't in the typical "birdcage" pattern, but in the A2 configuration, with the bottom portion solid, and 5 slots radiating out on the top side. The guy who sold me the upper says that because the flash hider is so long, it's really just cosmetic and doesn't have an effect, but I'll try to see if it does.

I plan on SBR'ing this rifle, then getting either a real or replica modulator to bring it even closer to the old XM-177E2 configuration. Maybe a slick-side A1 upper for the GAU-5/A that the AF used...

6. nixon

nixon Member

syntax,
    Are you ready to top your AR with a 6.5 Grendel ? Love to have one. Very very accurate specially when you roll your own. Good for mid-size animal hunting too, though tends to be on the heavy side. Or a beta c drum mag.

Nix,

7. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

How about the "original 6.5 Grendel"?

The 6.5mm x 54mm dates back to 1903. Nothing new under the sun. That little quote is from my profile of Big Daddy Mannlicher, Ferdinand Mannlicher: Austria's John M. Browning

Now if I could find me one of those 1903 models -- and I could afford it -- that's a bolt-action I could love.

8. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I'm thinking an EOTech, Aimpoint, or some brand of aftermarket stock....