Fiber Optic Sights?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Ungarotonto, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Ungarotonto

Ungarotonto Guest

Saturday again I got my ass whipped on IDPA steel in backlight. Blind stage was somewhat better, but when I had to shoot from the left behind cover the trap sights proved to be difficult. I kicked ass on the move though... :)

I am ready change sights, are there any fiber optic fronts out there?

2. armored

armored New Member

I made a few Fiber Optic front sights. I sent one to WULF to check out. He in return is now sending it to MIDTNSHOOTER who also has an interest in this type of sight.
    I hope MIDTNSHOOTER will post pictures and give a range report.
    I found the Fiber Optic front worked GREAT for IDPA. I put a large red dot on it that floated in between the rear sight ,super fast to pick-up!

Very easy to make, Take the front Trapoziod sight and remove the white plastic triangle insert with a hot soldering iron. Then drill out the sight using the hole that will be evedent when the plastic insert is removed (you are just drilling the hole all the way through. Now grind the space in between the front and back of the sight leaving a bit of matterial on each end . Now insert a .65 diameter fiber optic rod and melt both ends to hold it in place. You can vary the size of the dot by melting and speading the fiber optic rod while its still hot.
    Hopefully MIDTNSHOOTER will post pics, One picture is worth a thousand words.
    If you don't have tools,contact me and send me a front sight, I'll whip one out for you.

3. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

Fiber Sights

Hey Armoured !

Yeah as soon as I get the sights, I'll take a series of pictures and post them for all to see. I'll also let everyone know how they do during competition.

Thanks Wulf !
    :D

4. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

get me some good pictures and a brief description and I will take it to my gunsmith (who i've seen work fiber optics into existing sights before).

5. midtnshooter

Say Pretty Please

No problem. I'll put on my ,acro lense and fill ya in as soon as I get them.

MidTNShooter

6. polik6887

polik6887 Guest

what about rigging up a triangular fiber optic sight?? truglo and hiviz both make triangular light pipes, do you think you could work one of those into a sight?

7. midtnshooter

Have Sights, Will Travel

I have the sights and you can't have them! Nanna nanna Boo Boo. Just Kiddin. These sights actually worked out great. Once you have them centered correctly (not like I had them off-set, duh!), but they light up the "alpha". If you have ever worked with Fiber refills and how to bubble the ends, this should be no problem. I need to put a how-to on the tweek forum. I have taken my sensei's ideas (thanks guys) and tried to improve on it. But as it goes, you can only improve on a good idea so much. There is some simple machining that needs to be done to the front sights, don't mess with the rears. You only focus on the front anyway. I went to a supplier in Kentucky (shooters connection) for fiber refills. I ordered .60, red and they seem to reflect more light than green. If you want some how-tos, let me know and I'll send something your way (post it or link it to my website). Here is a brief of the sights at the website link below.

Take Care,
    MidTNShooter

http://www.lgsto.com/images/the%20gear.htm

8. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Yeah :)

Here's a triangluar lite pipe install:

[​IMG]

I'm still tryin' ta get some support from PT or Trijicon. <shrug>

Wulf

9. polik6887

polik6887 Guest

rock on wulf that was exactly what I was thinking of. cept i woulda used red. what brand light pipe did you use to match the size of the factory triangle? how exactly did you modify the front sight to get it to fit? honestly i would like to just buy one that was already done, or get someone who has done it before to do it, but armored still hasnt replied to my PM. but if push comes to shove I can probly rig it up. anyone know where to buy extra front sights btw?

10. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Wulf, have you tried TruGlo or HiViz??? That should be right up their keesters............ :lol:

11. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Polik* :)

Here's the lite pipes info. Contact Bryce Dunn or Chris at http://www.hivizsights.com and they can get ya headed in the right direction for which pipes are best. I think the ones I used were a buck a piece. <shrug> Oh, and they do come in red. The lite pipe project fizzled for me when I saw what it was gonna take size-wise to make it happen like I wanted. I'm more interested in the tritium light vials now for a self illuminating night sight. These lite pipes rather involve using whatever ambient light is available so they are necessarily quite large. My tritium project would use the same front sight housing adapted for a tritium vial and a cover lens. But, here's the url for the HiViz triangular lite pipes. Bryce and Chris at HiViz are great to work with and very helpful for East Slopers. <grin> The install isn't hard using a dremmel tool with a cutoff wheel and a drill bit. <shrug> First drill out the plastic sight material from the bottom then carefully go in thru the front sight and dig out the plastic. Behind it, ya just drill a hole all the way thru using a drill bit that's only slightly larger than the lite pipe diameter. Then, using the dremmel and the cutoff tool clear a channel for the triangular lite pipe. If there's a hard part about it, then this is it. Ya hafta cut away as much of the housing surrounding the triangular lite pipe as ya can to expose the pipe but ya hafta leave enuf to keep it snug in the sight housing. Once ya have it sittin' pretty, ya gotta take a lighter and melt the lite pipe at the back and mushroom it when its hot so it'll stay tight. Took me a couple times so ya may wanna get a few of the lite pipes in case ya fu*k it up. That's it inna nutshell. The hardest part is gettin' the front sights. Thunderbear was gonna send me a couple but they never got to me. :roll: He may still have 'em tho so PM him and ask 'im if he wants ta sell ya one. Beg him and he may. Once ya got onna them babies in your little hands, go for it! It's easy! -Hell- even I can do it. :roll: Here's kinda what the housing should look like for the triangle lite pipe install when you're done drillin', hackin' and cuttin' away.

[​IMG]

Good luck with it. :p

Oh and almost forgot, here's the lite pipes at HiViz:

http://www.hivizsights.com/Replacement-LitePipes-for-TriComp-Sight-P105C1.aspx

12. midtnshooter

Thanks for your help Wulf !

13. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Wulf, your a good looking guy.............. :lol: That sight looks AWESOME.......... :!: i just ordered mine from Midway and hopefully can have a working site by the weekend...................... :wink: Dang, I paid way too much for mine............. :shock:

14. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

15. polik6887

polik6887 Guest

so thunderbear, do you have nay more front sights?

wulf, is thunderbear sending them to you to turn into fiber optic sights? if so could you make me a red triangular one?

16. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Good deal, Thunder* 8)

No worries, Mate. I'll get your mag body lips tweaked and headed back to ya pronto...I'm gettin' pretty good at it now that I gotta S9-A1. What a sweetheart! Anyway, as soon as your pkg gets here, I'll send the front sights on to BT, where he's gonna drill 'em and send 'em to Al at PT Night Sights for the tritium vial installs. Eventually, they'll be back here for a cover lens that's still in the works. But, when I get one properly installed, the very first true Steyr Pseudo-Factory Triangular Trapezoid Front night sight will be installed in my M357-A1. I'll take some pics and post 'em, just incase other Club members are interested in this project. <shrug> I hope that the front night sights turn out like in my vision. :shock: Once that's a done deal, I'll concentrate on the rear tri-trap night sight. With a little luck, I'll get some support from either PT or Trijicon for the rear sight. It'll be much more complicated, if I understand what really needs to happen and can't find an easier way of gettin' 'er done. :roll: But, I expect that true front and rear self illuminating tritium tri-trap night sights for the M and S Series Steyrs will become available. I love the idea of such a big and triangular night sight being at my beckon call...even if I gotta do it myself. <shrug> I've seen another triangular kind of night sight posted here at SC, but its way to complicated, IMHO...align this line to this line, so on and so forth. <shrug> Not what I'm lookin' for. I want a big triangular glowin' front sight and the 2 slanted glowin' rear bars bringin' it all together like the factory tri-traps with adequate ambient lighting do for me. They've spoiled me for their quick targeting of can sized stuff out to 40 and 50 yards, let alone up close. <shrug> That's all I'm askin' from the Great Steyr Tri-Trap God, Tritium, and Sweet Baby Jesus, Amen. I expect that they won't be cheap, though...prolly $50-$75, maybe more! :shock: Whata fu*kin' steal! :twisted: Anyway, wish me luck and thanx again, Bro. I'll let ya know when they get here. BTW polik*, I may hava red HiViz triangular lite pipe and another converted front sight housing round here somewhere. I'll look and if I find it, I'll get it headed your way. In the meantime, keep lookin' for the factory tri-trap front sights. I've seen 'em listed b4 on Ebay. G'luck. :)

Wulf

17. polik6887

polik6887 Guest

thanks wulf lemme know if you find it, I would be happy to buy it from you. finding a spare sight to convert is pretty hard, and I dont wnna risk screwing up the only one I have. I wish SAI would sell parts.

BTW, those tritium sights sound pretty sweet, are you gonna use colored lenses or just plain old white. post some pics once you get them up and running.

18. armored

armored New Member

Just stumbled on this post.
    Not to "pile on" but a quick,easy way to remove the white insert in the front sight is with a small soldering iron. If you heat the iron and apply the tip to the white insert, the insert will melt away. Then use a exacto knife to clean out the edges.
    GOOD LUCK!

19. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Thanx for the tip, armored. :)

Next time I have another front sight to extract the white plastic from, I'll give 'er a go. The 'ol drill out the bottom--pull out the front works pretty well, too. And I haven't burnt my paws even once, usin' that method. I did jab a little xacto blade into my wrong-handed trigger finger once, tho. Yeow! :shock: But, I'm into makin' things easy on myself, so I expect your solderin' iron Wile E Coyote/Roadrunner trick'll get tried by me. Thanx again and hava great Sunday. :)

Wulf

20. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

So you all just hammer the sights off ?? I tried a little to do that and they didn't budge.....I was afraid I would screw them up.......Do I need my BIG hammer.......... :lol: