Ferdinand Mannlicher: Austria's John Moses Browning

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Netfotoj, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I got interested in Steyr-Mannlicher history and looked up one of its giants of the late 1800s and early 1900s, Ferdinand Mannlicher, and put together a short biography on a webpage on my own site, johnmyers.com. (I tried just dropping in the HTML code here, but that didn't work out, so you have to go offsite to see what I found.)

Take a look and let me know what you think. You know who John Moses Browning is. You need to know who Ferdinand Mannlicher is, too. He's well known in Europe and probably most of the rest of the world among gun enthusiasts, but not so well here in America.

Ferdinand Mannlicher: Austria's John Moses Browning

2. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya John :)

And thanx for takin' the time to do the research on Ferdi. I have always appreciated the Steyrs...pistols and rifles. I wasn't aware that Ferdi was such a "key player" in the early firearms industry. :shock: Course, it makes sense, tho...Steyr has been involved in the avant guard of modern firearms technology and beauty for as long as I can remember. I can actually remember onna my Dad's huntin' buddies braggin' about his new Steyr rifle, a 30-06 bolt action with a full stock. It was beautiful. *sigh* Wonder who's got it now? :shock: I doubt his son, Jerodwoulda kept it...he was more into skateboards. <shrug> Anyway, thanx again Bro, and hava great weekend. :)

Wulf

3. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

4. West01

West01 New Member

Excellent work NetfotoJ...Kudos!

:D

West01

5. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Didn't know these were available, but here's a Model 1985 Steyr straight-pull bolt-action carbine, Herr Mannlicher's most famous military rifle.

Two grades at J&G, $100 and $120. Also got Swiss K-31 Schmidt Rubin rifle for $200; and Enfield #2A Ishapore .308 caliber rifle for $180.

[​IMG]