Feeling pretty silly...

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Kokitron, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Kokitron

Kokitron New Member

I was fitting a Handall Hogue grip on my M9-A1 and did something silly and frustrating. I didn't remove the slide during the procedure and ended up scratching it with an aluminum tool. Luckily its a very light scratch. The scratch does not go into the surface of the steel- how could it? Aluminum is way too soft to scratch steel. Its more like a pencil mark. Be that as it may, I have not been able to rub it off completely. You can hardly see the mark in the picture but I am looking for a way to buff it off so its not visible to me anymore. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks.

Every time I see it I think geez that was dumb... or of Homer Simpson... daoh!

/Users/Kokia/Desktop/IMG_6986.jpg

/Users/Kokia/Desktop/IMG_6995.jpg

2. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

try rubbing it with a pencil eraser. usually works.

3. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Try hairspray next time........scratch free........ 8)

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

We installed a hogue tool grip just last night on my friend's M9A1 (tighter than the handall) - I just bring some water to a boil, take the pot off the burner, drop in the grip and let it sit for about 10 minutes. It really loosens up the rubber and it goes on relatively painlessly.

5. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

If any of you will try a tongue depressor or popsicle stick next time you install one of syntax's killer Hogue grips, I think you will find it quite easy.

Ben

6. madecov

madecov Active Member

Birchwood Casey also makes Aluminum Black.
    Works like cold blue if you can't remove the scratch.

Otherwise try solvents, Brake Free< and a nylon bristle brush. Sometimes that helps.

7. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I've used Breakfree also on light scratches