Favorite powders for M9?

Discussion in 'Ammunition and Reloading' started by Hektor, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Hektor

Hektor New Member

I haven't loaded for the 9mm for a long time and now that I am getting a new M9, I am asking what powders are used now. I am talking about practice loads at the range with either fmj ball bullets or maybe cast bullets.
    Thanks, John

2. firecracker6

firecracker6 New Member

I'm new to Steyr's and I haven't loaded many 147gr bullets. I've loaded 10's of thousands of 115 and 124's though. There are many powders you could use for those weights. Win 231/hp38 is very popular, universal and unique are a couple of others that are good performers while being economical. I've also had good luck w/ Zip but it's harder to find. Did you have any powders in mind?
    s

3. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Hektor :)

Here's a pretty good selection of 9MM reloading recipes --> http://www.best9mm.com/reloading9mm.html

I tend to use more Powerpistol than anything else for my reloads, but my loads are generally for 357 Sig. <shrug>

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Oh, and be safe.

Wulf <-- back out ta the snow removal process :(

4. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

the steyr prefers 124/125gr bullets and my favorite powder was WSF =win super field. I also used titegroup. tried powerpistol,longshot,unique,Vvn340,universal and I cannot remember what else. Vv N340 is great but expensive. WSF with hollow base 115gr FMJ or 124/125gr bullet is tackdriver at max load.

147gr bullets tend to tumble or cant due to twist rate in M9. 147gr was accurate but had better success with 115gr FMJHB and 124/125gr FMJ. the 115gr FMJHB is same length as 124/125gr FMJ. wanted to try some AA#7 and HS6 but never got to it for 9mm.

5. firecracker6

firecracker6 New Member

AA7 is a good powder to get velocity with, you can sometimes get good accuracy w/ it as well. It's not a very economical powder for practice rounds though. +1 for n340 performance.

6. jellyb

jellyb New Member

Hello,

When using the 124jhp with Titegroup what is your powder charge and your OAL?

Thanks, Jellyb

7. marblehead2

marblehead2 New Member

124 Gr Bayou bullet, 3.9 gr tightgroup, win sp primer, starline brass or winchester brass. works well in the C9-A1

8. jellyb

jellyb New Member

Hey Marblehead,

Thanks for the info! What was your OAL?