Favorite M40/M9 holsters?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by steveinaz, Aug 4, 2005.

1. steveinaz

steveinaz New Member

What's some of the more popular holsters for M9/M40 owners? Can you post a pic?

2. hihoslva

hihoslva New Member

I use a CompTac CTAC.

Awesome kydex holster. Infinitely adjustable, tuckable, comfortable, great retention & draw, excellent quality, and a great company to deal with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have both an M9 and S9. The holster is made for the M, however both the S and the M fit perfectly. There's just about 1/2" empty space at the barrel end when holstering the S9 - the S9 is pictured in the photos.

I tried a leather from Fist Inc. before the CompTac CTAC. The quality was very good, but I wasn't thrilled with the model I chose. But true to their word, Fist took the holster back for a full refund - all I paid was shipping back to them. This was a 100% custom leather holster, made to my specs, and they gave me all of my money back. While I wasn't thrilled with the product, the company is great to deal with, and I highly recommend them based solely on that. Plus, other models of holster might have worked out better for me.

100% satisfied with my CompTac, however.

3. Flashpoint

Flashpoint New Member

Hidden Alley Highnoon tuckable-

Used it for about 2 years. I'm expecting delivery on a HBE Com 3 tuckable next week.

[​IMG]

4. srfl

srfl New Member

Hihoslva: Which FIST holster was that? I'm debating getting one of their IWB's....or another one of Eric Larsen's COM3 IWB's (I have two of them for other guns).

Thanks.

5. hihoslva

hihoslva New Member

I bought the model #17 - IWB Interchangeable.

It was very well made, and I had it constructed with a "sweat guard" also. But my complaints were:

* Retention was too tight. No adjustment screw (I think it was an option that I didn't take), and even though I wedged the gun in the holster with a sock wrapped around it for 3 days straight, it never loosened up enough. Couldn't draw worth a crap. I'd hike my pants up to my chin every time I tried to get the gun out. And tightening my belt only made things worse.

* Belt loop just didn't do it for me. I got it with the leather slotted snap loop:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This loop just didn't hold the holster securely enough for my tastes. Granted, part of this problem was the extreme retention of the holster; when drawing, the holster would move all over the place, and I'd give myself a wedgie trying to get the gun out. Might have worked better if the retention wasn't like super glue.

* Belt loop attachment scratched my gun. Yep. Since the belt loop is adjustable/cantable, the screws that hold it in place can be loosened & retightened at the desired position. When fully tightened, these screws protruded into the top of the holster, scratching the slide whenever I'd draw & re-holster. Loosening the screws made the belt loop slide out of position on the holster. Trimming the screws down would have solved the issue, but I was already unhappy enough, so I didn't even try.

Again, the company was good, and the holster seemed well made. I think the extreme retention was a big part of all my issues. I think I quickly figured out that I like Kydex better than leather, and I'm very happy with my CompTac now. I was very pleaed when Fist took back the holster for a full refund.

They have a LOT of different styles of holster - kydex included - and I wouldn't hesitate to try something else from Fist in the future. The #17 just didn't do what I wanted it to do.

#17 link: http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/17.htm

6. srfl

srfl New Member

7. hihoslva

hihoslva New Member

I think the two attachment points on a holster such as that one would work out better.

For me, the lack of stability with only a single belt loop was annoying, especially with how tight the gun was in the rig.

8. madecov

madecov Active Member

I ordered a FIST combo mag/cuff carrier in Kydex.

We'll see [-o<

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I carry my M9 on the universal clip draw. i really like it because it adds no extra size to the weapon at all. http://www.clipdraw.com

10. hihoslva

hihoslva New Member

Welcome to the club, armtpo.

Do you have - or could you take - any pics of the clipdraw on your pistol?

I'm very interested in it as an easy, secondary carry option, and would like to see it in-use on a Steyr.

Thanks.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

as far as pictures go im crossing my fingers that this post goes where i want it :lol: but i can say i also have one on my govt 45 and i carry that concealed just as easy as any sub compact. I took a chance on them because the price was right and the idea made sense. i havent looked back and everyone of my handguns now has one mounted on the side. The steyr's slide is perfect for it because it provides a long flat surface for mounting.