Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I have a M9A1. I bought it new just a couple of months ago, though the date of manufacture is Sept. 07! Does not have the LCI, and does not have that cross pin for the trigger section.

Right off the bat let me say that I like this gun very much. Ergonomics are fantastic. I have an HK P30L, Sig226, Beretta PX4 Storm, and the Steyr sights line up exactly where you point. Recoil is much less than the others. My 12 year old son can shoot this much easier than the others. I like the trap sights, though I am thinking of converting the rear sight to a notch and leave the front as it is.

This gun is not extracting. In the beginning, between 1-3 rounds per 10rd mag. (yes, I am Canadian). With WWB, Rem., Federal, S&B. all ball, and 115gr, or 124gr. It didn't make a difference. Frustrating. Especially since when a FTE occurs, the mag. doesn't want to drop out because it is all jammed up. So you have to rack the slide back, then drop the mag.

Anyway. I am a gunsmith with 25 years full time experience so I figure I should have a look at the issue.
1. if you measure the distance from the breech face edge to the extractor tip, it measured .354", while the other guns (mentioned above), measured on avg..340"-.341". That is .014" larger/looser than the other guns therefore not getting a good bite.

2. looking at the breech face, you will notice that the extractor goes on a 40degree angle from the top downwards with the top edge of the extractor lip level with the firing pin. So when the extractor moves it is actually pivoting about its axis in a way the releases the bottom edge of the cartridge rim before the top edge of the rim. Now how much the extractor moves during extraction I don't know.

So I decided to work on problem #1: I removed the extractor and machined the section where it contacts the slide so that I would get .341" therefore bringing the extractor closer to the firing pin and hopefully would get a better bite on the rim.

Test fired it yesterday. Using the same ammo as before it had drastically reduced the number of FTE issues. We shot app. 250 rounds of various rounds through it and was getting on average 1 FTE per 20 rounds. Considerably better, but not good enough.

Hopefully I will address #2, in the next week or so and try it again. I will keep you guys informed as to the progress.

If I didn't like this gun so much I wouldn't have bothered, and just sold it. But I like it. I like it a lot.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Now that is a great post! You might try the 1911 slide stop/safety plunger spring trick as well. Take that spring, cut about 2mm off and insert it into the extractor plunger spring then replace them. It grabs the brass like no tomorrow.

This is apart from getting the new extractor part, which was part of my solution. In the end it took both, with no machining. Your approach looks like the stiffer spring might do the trick to completely stop the FTEs.

Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Thestelster, I also just got the M9A1 and have had 2 FTEs in 150 rounds of the new gun. First was at 65, second a few days later about round 103. Federal 124gr. I am also subject to 10 rounds as a fellow Canuck. After examining my M9A1, I noticed the extractor seems like it isnt sitting flush in the slide. Is yours similar? I'm wondering if were flush if that gap would close.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts