1. seanflynn

seanflynn New Member

Hiya everyone. Long time reader, first time poster.

I've got my Steyr M40 here, and I've been detail-stripping, cleaning and lubricating in preparation for a competition Saturday; I've run into maybe an obstacle.

DAIadvisor's walkthrough says to ensure the extractor moves with finger pressure. It doesn't hardly; it's exceptionally stiff and requires some considerable force and something that isn't my finger to move it -- is this normal? Should I panic? I hadn't planned on disassembling the slide just yet, as I've heard it's a PITA.

Comments?

2. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Disassembling the slide is very easy.......I haven't done the extractor yet.

3. seanflynn

seanflynn New Member

I can move the pin, but am having trouble figuring out how the slide cover comes off.

4. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

The pin holds down the one side, but you have to push the pin slightly under the roof of the piece. I grinded a small screwdriver to fit that space and bent it slightly to push that pin in a bit further. It's not too difficult, and from there the disassembly is very easy. Slide a small screwdriver under that cover and pry is up. It should come off easy if you push the pin/spring in far enough...........

5. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

under the tutorials section is an excellent extractor removal article brought to us by hihoslva.

cleaning the extractor is now as easy as cleaning the barrel.

dis-assembling the slide is a snap. the only thing to watch out for is that you don't shoot the end cap retaining pin and spring across the room. when i'm taking it off, i put my thumb in the way of it's path to avoid disaster. i don't like getting popped in the thumb, but i really hate finding parts.

6. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya BT :)

...or not findin' 'em.... 8-O

7. seanflynn

seanflynn New Member

Brilliant! The tutorial was exactly what I needed. Thanks, guys :)

8. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

brilliant indeed.

i use to fiddle fart around with that part til my fingers bled, i poked both eyes and lost/found the part atleast three times... per cleaning.

and then, one sun drenched spring day, the extractor tutorial shows up.