Extraction fixes

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by WPM, Jul 31, 2006.

1. armored

armored New Member

Well, I shot the M9A1 on Sat. at a IDPA match and it worked GREAT, it even somehow felt more possitive. Now its just ME who SUCKS! I'll have to look for a new excuse for poor times.

I shot Blazer Brass. that has always worked well. Now I will try UMC, it did not work well before. I will also try Winchester White box.

The gun fells like it will feed and extract anything.

2. mikey

mikey Guest

Well, I received my problem child M40 (see above posts) back from Steyr the other day. I’d sent it out by overnight air (as UPS demanded - $55) but, to my surprise, Steyr sent it back to me via standard UPS ground - and the UPS guy had just left the package on my doorstep! Yikes. Fortunately, nobody saw fit to swipe it when I wasn’t at home.

According to the invoice, replaced were:

“Extractor, M-A1”
    “Extractor Pin, M-A1”
    “Extractor Spring, all models”
    “Recoil Spring Assembly, M and M-A1 Pistol”

I’d heard that the “new” extractor was of a slightly different design, but honestly I can’t see a bit of difference between this one and the original one. And, though my Steyr was one of the very early models (s/n 0022XX) they did NOT choose to upgrade the trigger assembly. Of course, I didn’t specifically request that it be done, so I can’t exactly complain, but it’s obvious that the “trigger upgrade” is no longer routinely done by Steyr.

In an accompanying letter, Steyr cautioned that although Wolf ammo is SAAMI spec, the steel case may cause premature extractor wear (as others on this board had already suspected). Though I offered to pay, there was no charge for parts or labor - a nice gesture on the part of Steyr.

Off for a quick round of test firing, using whatever I had on hand. 40 rounds of Speer 155gr “Gold Dot” ammo went first. Functioning was perfect, but three of the empty cases bopped me on the top of my head as they came down. Speculation has always had it that new extractors needed a “break in” period before the empty cases ejected properly, and since I’d never had this happen before, there really could be something to that theory.

Next, 20 rounds of Federal 135gr “Personal Defense” ammo. Again, perfect functioning. Federal promotes the “Personal Defense” ammo as being “High Energy, Low Recoil” and indeed felt recoil was a bit less than the Gold Dots . . . though, truthfully, I doubt I could have told the difference except in a side-by-side comparison.

Even though Wolf was now banned from my M40, I thought I’d run a magazine load through, just to verify that it still functioned as before. Surprise! The very first round of Wolf jammed up so solidly in the chamber that I needed a particularly strenuous effort to get the dammed thing out (previously, stuck Wolf cases pulled loose with a fingernail - but not this time)! That was the first - and only - Wolf round I fired today. I guess my M40 won’t be seeing any more of that stuff.

Finally, a run with 50 rounds of good-quality S&B, brass-cased hardball. Perfect functioning.

This was too brief of a test to confirm that everything’s completely hunky-dory, and I’ll have to run a few more boxes of defensive ammo through it before I again trust the piece with my life, but things are looking promising so far. The only failure was with the Wolf ammo, and since I won’t be using any of that from now on, it’s not a big deal.

3. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

mikey, did you get the new upgraded extractor or the old regular/old one ?

I just installed one on my M9-A1 and it looks differen't; raised as it was loaded (when the chamber is empty) does your look the same as it was?

4. mikey

mikey Guest

Do you mean, does the new extractor act a little like a loaded chamber indicator: flush with the slide when empty, and protruding a bit when there's a loaded chamber?

Well, nope, it doesn't. It's flush with the slide, with or without a round chambered.

The invoice did say that it was a "MA1" extractor, so that implies that it's new and different. Visually, though, it looks just like the old extractor - but I'm going by memory here, so there obviously could be a subtle difference that I might be missing.

I guess so long at those Gold Dots keep running smoothly, I have no reason to complain.

5. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

no I didn't mean if it acted as a LCI..

mine is not flush with the slide (I think I installed it correctly) the surface is not straight either... I'll try to upload a photo...

[​IMG]

(fixed your image -D)

6. mikey

mikey Guest

Okay, I got it now. :D No, mine's nothing like yours. My new extractor is flush against the slide, with or without a round chambered. If anything, it's actually just slightly indented at the chamber side - completely the opposite from yours.

Mine a .40, though - I don't know if that makes any difference.

7. armored

armored New Member

I just got around to checking my "new Design" extractor. It does not stick out on the side like yours,it runs parellel with the slide. It also has the dot on the face.
    Mine looks as if the fitting that sits on the end of the spring cocks inward where it meets the extractor.
    I seem to recall the Gunsmith at Steyr telling me something about there being a angle cut on the extractor or the end piece of the spring, and those had to go in a certain way so the angled parts would line up.
    Since mine was installed by Steyr I would guess that you don't have yours installed correctly. I would take it apart and check for the angle cut on either the exractor or the end of the spring. Probably the end of the spring piece since the extractor can only go in one way. The other thought is that the end of the spring is not fully seated into the extractor. Like I said earlier, the piece on the end of the spring bends into the extractor like its pushing forword AND in.

8. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

You're talking about the angled pin, mine is actually round (the old one was round as well)

I have a question about your new extractor; as you can see on the picture I posted my extractor is not straight either like old one (has a curve to it). Is yours like that too or is it straight.

9. armored

armored New Member

I can't tell if your refering to the above picture or the ones in your other post. If your refering to the above picture of the side of the extractor,I can't really see a curve. My extractor is flat when looking at the same area as the picture in your above post.

Have you tried your pistol yet?

10. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

All the photos I posted recently are of the same (new) extractor...

there is definitely a curve or more like a high point 3/4 of the way to the end of the extractor ( /\ - not as dramatic of course) EDIT you can see better what I mean in this thread; https://www.steyrclub.com/modules.php?na ... 8207#18207

btw I have shot 50 rounds (124gr Remington) with the new extractor and it worked fine :)

11. armored

armored New Member

I guess if it works 100% its fine. You have a better track record than alot of others.
    I would send your pictures to Steyr and see what explanation they have. Since your extractor kit came from Steyr in Austria they may have some explanation that we could all just guess at. Maybe you have the "newest, current, extractor improvement that supersedes everything else out there. Or maybe they will see the picture and say "who was operating the machine when this was made,they forgot to grind the side of the extractor straight"

12. armored

armored New Member

I took my M9A1 to another IDPA match Saturday. It was cold and raining in Wisconsin,but the Steyr was HOT! NO problems in 150 rounds.
    I wish I worked as good as this gun!