Extraction fixes

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by WPM, Jul 31, 2006.

1. armored

armored New Member

I agree, I should be able to just send the slide. BUT, I'd hate to just send the slide and then have it returned only to find that it was not fixed and that I should send in the whole gun so it could be test fired. I would send in mags too but I had problems regardless of what mag (6- 2 15rd loaded to 11 and 4 10rnd) I used.

I don't know where the gunsmith came from or how long he has been with Steyr. I will call Jack and get a second opinion. The "new" extractor design does not sound right. I do hope there is a NEW miracle extractor.

On a 3 month old Pistol Steyr should be picking up shipping cost to and from!
    At least a FEW hi-caps to cover the TO shipping.

2. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya armored :)

Yeah, the cost of shipping to Cumming, GE does kinda suck. I guess I'm a bit spoiled by my Walthers. I've sent in 2 P22's for parts upgrades and my Gal's P99, when a sear block broke. Both times, I contacted them by phone and was sent shipping labels for UPS overnight deliveries, and my pistols were returned to my door step in under 2 weeks. Never cost me a thing but some downtime. <shrug> Give 'em some time and Steyr may oneday choose to go this route, as well.

3. some_finn

some_finn Guest

Thanks, just what I was looking for.
    But actually I may not have to resort to that, after all.
    I contacted the Finnish Steyr importer and after a few days of e-mailing and them searching their files, they came to the conclusion that my gun wasn't imported by them and refused to help me (even sell parts for money! 8-O )
    I e-mailed the other importer (there are two in Finland) and didn't get any reply.
    So yesterday I e-mailed the Steyr headquarters in Austria to let them know of my predicament (and the attitude of their local representatives). Tomorrow morning I got a reply saying that Steyr would send me parts through the importer who refused to help me. And they actually promised to forward them to me. I'm sure they'll bill me for the postage at least :?
    Well, anyway, it'll take a few weeks still so maybe I'll try the 1911 spring trick anyway.
    Also they didn't mention what they were sending me. Hopefully the new type extractor I asked about, and some new springs. I'll let you know...

4. armored

armored New Member

BABY goes for a ride!

5. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

So do they have new extractors in stock now?

6. revchuck

revchuck Guest

Well, maybe in Europe...did you notice he's in Finland?

7. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

I did...

someone (before) mentioned that they will be available in US in 10 days.

8. armored

armored New Member

As of a couple days ago they had four. One has my name on it(try and get your hands on it and I'll hunt you down to the furthest corners of the Universe), or I would not have sent them my gun. I was told they would only give me the "new" extractor if I sent them the gun. I was also told that more would be here from Austria in about a month.

The extractor is said to be MORE AGGRESIVE in the way it bites and grabs the case( what a animal) and is tapered so that cases are ejected away from your face (hey, thats a good idea from the fatherland).

9. revchuck

revchuck Guest

Doh! Don't mind me....

That oughta do it, though from the little I know about ejection, the ejector is what determines the direction the brass takes. That's based on my experience with 1911s, and may not apply to the Steyr.

10. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i feel that in the steyr design the angle of the extractor plays a pretty big roll in the empty's direction of travel. due to the low bore axis, the extractor doesn't make a horizontal straight shot engaging the rim at 3 o'clock, but rather angles down to grip it more at two o'clock.

anyway. IF i had extraction issues, i would throw the plunger spring in. no one who's done it has come back complaining yet.

11. WPM

WPM Guest

After trying the 1911 plunger spring fix, which made no difference on how my pistol was kicking out the brass. I finally sent my M9-A1 last week to the Steyr's serice center to get the newly designed extractor installed. I'll let you all know if it fixes the problem.

WPM

12. some_finn

some_finn Guest

Yess!!

Did the plunger spring mod and all my problems magically disappeared. :D
    I had some handloads that might have been a bit +P :roll: They probably compounded the problem by slightly sticking to the chamber. I had as many as 5 out of 10 rounds failing to extract. Today I shot all the rest I had, several mags worth, and had only one FTE.
    Also tried several other handloads, both mild and hot, and didn't have a single failure with those.
    If and when I get the new extractor, the pistol should be at least 122% reliable ;)

13. IDPASteyr

IDPASteyr Guest

Man...I invent the solution to the problem of the ages and I get no royalties. Life is not fair...

14. Fredhead

Fredhead New Member

Maybe not, but you've got some righteous karma.

15. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya IDPA*

There are plenty o' S-Clubers owe ya a debt of gratitude. If they aren't steppin' forward, could be that they just aren't aware of your contribution to the FTE fix. <shrug> Those of us in the loop really appreciate your clever "adjustment" to the extractor function for the M and S Series Steyrs. For those outside the loop, you can thank IDPASteyr for the 1911 Plunger Spring Fix for some of your FTE problems. He was there before a Steyr factory fix became available. Thanx again, IDPA*. You rock, Dude! 8) How bout a little tutorial for the Gang? :wink:

Wulf

16. IDPASteyr

IDPASteyr Guest

Wulf, Thank man, my bruised ego has been repaired. I promise I will do a thorough job of writing a tutorial as soon as the IDPA Nationals are done on the 21st of this month. It will take a little time to write and I'm spending all my time sending lead downrange right now, not to mention I have a real job as well. I appreciate your patience.

17. revchuck

revchuck Guest

Since my M40 now runs like a top, if we ever meet I'll provide you with the liquid royalty of your choice. :)

18. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

IDPA*...

I got only 5 words for ya,

...Kick some fu**in' Butt, Dude! :p

Wulf

19. armored

armored New Member

I sent my M9A1 back to Steyr,they recieved it last Tue. I had not heard from them so I called today(wed) to see what was up. I was connected to Jeff the Gunsmith. He told me it shippeed out on Tue,gave me a UPS tracking # and said I should get it Thur.
    I asked what he did and he told me he changed the extractor and fired about 100 rounds thru it. I thanked him for his QUICK turnaround and hung up.

About 5 minutes later he called back and told me that he forgot that my gun was the one that Jack was holding the new parts for. He then explained that the Extractor was replaced with the new design, the extractor pin is of a new design that puts more of a angle to the exractor, and that the spring was changed to a new LONGER(I interpret STRONGER) spring.

This made me feel better, that some serious changes were made to make this pistol 100% with ALL ammo.

I will shoot a IDPA match with it Sat. and see how it works. I'll keep every one informed.

Sounds like IDPASTEYR's spring fix is being made "legit" in Steyr's own way.

20. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya armored :)

Just go to the comp and own it, Baby...I mean kick some butt! :D

Wulf