Extraction fixes

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by WPM, Jul 31, 2006.

1. IDPASteyr

IDPASteyr Guest

It's broken and needs to be replaced

2. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Mikey :)

Yeah, its busted. :roll: Send 'em a pic and tell 'em to send ya a replacement. Offer to send it back to them when you get the new one. Email Jack Riddle [email protected] He'll fix ya up PDQ. Here's the phone #, too. I forget his extension. (770) 888-4201. G'luck with it.

Wulf

3. mikey

mikey Guest

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate your assistance. Without something to compare it to, I wasn’t completely sure if my M40’s extractor was good or not (especially since it seemed to work okay with S&B ammo). I was suspicious of it, though, since the bevel (worn spot) along the extractor’s lower edge was angled in a way that seemed likely to allow the extractor to jump off the cartridge case rim. That just didn’t seem right.

I’ll e-mail the Steyr guy tomorrow, and then I’ll let everyone know how things work out.

4. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

it broke after only 1000 rounds? Yikes :eek:

5. mikey

mikey Guest

Yes, that was my first thought, too. Heck, Steyrs aren't even considered "broken in" until you hit the 500 round mark.

Possibly, though, it was that fact that my M40 just loved steel-cased Wolf ammo (I hear most Steyrs won't even feed the stuff). It was practically all I used for practice. Maybe the Wolf cases are tough on extractors?

6. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

wolf is hard on extractors

7. mikey

mikey Guest

I e-mailed Jack Riddle last week, and I never got a response. So, I called SAI today, and they connected me to . . . Jack Riddle. Not sure what was going on, but he seemed okay. Maybe my e-mail to him got lost in the traffic. But, if you’ve got a Steyr problem, it seems better to CALL them rather than to E-MAIL them.

Riddle says they have don’t have any M40 extractors in stock. :( A new-and-improved version (at least, that’s what he says it is) is due to arrive in about 10 days. This new version is supposed to work better at grabbing a greater variety of rims.

Prices he quoted me:

Extractor: $8.68
    Extractor Spring: $0.14
    Extractor Spring Plunger: $0.95

He suggested that I send my M40 to them, so they can give it a check-out, but I balked at having to spend $50 on Fed-Ex shipping just so they can install an $8 part. I’ll probably just order the replacement parts and take it from there (heck, at those prices, I’ll probably end up ordering several of each - never hurts to have spares).

I’ll call them again in two weeks, and see if the parts have arrived.

8. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

if they find anything bad in the checkout they will replace it free under warranty

parts in stock go to warranty work first and foremost

but yeah would be spending on the shipping.

email must be backed up

9. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

Hopefully that will be the end of brass to the face and FTEs.

I'll definetelly order the new extractor (if they'll ship North that is :? )

10. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

you may want to look for the Canadian import and service gray wolf.
    dont know who is doing that if you manage to find out please post the contact info

11. madecov

madecov Active Member

That is an understatement.
    The ONLY guns I shoot steel case from are a Makarov and AK/SKS

They were designed to handle steel cases. Western guns are designed around brass cases.

12. WPM

WPM Guest

I did the 1911 plunger spring fix on my M9-A1 last week, and I just took it out for a test drive this afternoon. Unfortunately, it did not work and the brass is still hitting me in the noggin. The good news, no FTEs what so ever.

WPM

13. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Howdy :)

A while ago, I talked with Allan Cornett, formerly of SAI, and he explained to me that the priority list for Steyr with regards to the M & S Series was 1) get the S9-A1's to market, 2) get the S40-A1's to market, and 3) get the M45ACP-A1's to market. He also mentioned to me that the brass in the face extractor problems was something that they were trying to eliminate. At the same time, he talked of an adjustable sight and a night sight that were currently in developmental stages and involved an Austrian manufacturer. Release dates were still unknown to him. That was about 2-3 weeks ago. He's no longer with SAI and I haven't spoken to him since. Jack Riddle is my SAI contact now and he's great to deal with, but very busy for the time being. I email him, probably more often than he appreciates, but he usually gets back to me in a timely manner and is very helpful. If the problem is unbearable, I'd suggest contacting SAI by phone, explaining to them your problem and asking them what they would like for you to do to expedite a resolution. SAI staff are very friendly and accommodating. Give 'em a shout. My 2 cents.... Hava great weekend.

Wulf

14. drsmith58

drsmith58 New Member

I know we have kicked this hourse

I know this is a topic that has been kicked several times in the various forums, and part of the reason is to identify the root cause of the failures. Well yesterday was the first time in a month I had the opportunity shoot my MA1. I fired 100 rounds of WWB and 120 rounds to UMC of .40 cal. I had 4 FTEs (extract) all with the WWB, none with UMC. Now there appears to be a very slight difference in the casing/rim shape between the WWB and UMC and that is the only difference I can truly see, and the only reason I can speculation for the FTEs.

Of the 220 rds fired only 1 ejected backwards enough to hit my ball cap, I’m not sure if it was WWB or UMC. If memory serves me right I fired over 700 rds through my Steyr and I no longer see any primer swipes. So what does all this mean- shooting is going to cost $5 more per 100 rds. I’ll stick with the UMC for now.

Accuracy wise getting better very time fire. Tweaked my grip and finger position I set up a fire course similar to several stages in an IDPA match in July, It took me fire 25 rounds to clear the 9 poppers then. Yesterday I did it in 10 shots.

15. revchuck

revchuck Guest

I've got an early M40 that I bought used that wouldn't reliably extract Winchester brass. I did the plunger spring fix and it's 100% with everything now, throwing brass neatly over my right shoulder.

16. some_finn

some_finn Guest

Hello.

I'm having extrac probs with my M40, exactly the kind described and even pictured in this thread.
    Everybody keeps going on about the "1911 plunger spring fix" but I can't find details on what exactly am I supposed to do with it. Is there an article/thread/post somewhere that I just can't find? Please post a link if there is...
    The 1911 plunger spring is much smaller so I guess I'm not supposed to just use it to replace the original extractor spring. Maybe put it inside the original spring? That would make sense?

17. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

18. armored

armored New Member

Well the FTE problem has hit me also. At a IDPA match Sat. I was plaqued by extraction problems. I planned to do the 1911 plunger spring trick but thought I would call Steyr first. I have delt with Jack before and have found him VERY helpfull. Today when I asked for Cust. Serv. I was connected to a gunsmith who's name was Jeff. I told him about my problems with FTE and explained that the Pistol is 3 months old and has about 400 rds through it. He said to send it back, that Steyr has a new extractor that has a dbl bevel, on one side the bevel is larger than the other and that it is imperitive that it be installed with the proper bevel facing a certain way(does this sound like the OLD exractor on the M9?). I asked If he could just send me the parts so I would not have to pay a fortune for over night air shipment to send the pistol. He said because of liability reasons Steyr would have to install the parts.

He then told me that having to send a handgun over night air was false. If I declare it as a machine part I can send it ground. Steyr will pay for return shiping.

I would love to believe this about ground shipment of handguns, but feel I may need to check this out as it does not sound like accurate info. I know that its not a LAW that handguns must be shipped overnight, but a UPS and FED X policy.

Any thoughts? should I do the plunger spring first and see what happens or should I send the gun back. As much as I would like to just put the plunger spring in and be done with it, I also feel that its Steyr's obligation to solve this problem.

Theres alot of talk about getting the word out about how GREAT Steyr is, But its REAL hard to "talk up" Steyr when your being viewed shooting in public and your constantly clearing your pistol and droping your mag to clear the chamber so you can continue a stage. When you finish shooting and other shooters come over and ask what your shooting you know there not asling because they WANT what you shooting. To make matters worst, in another group, shooting the same IDPA match, the only other Steyr shooter besides me, shooting a M9 finnaly quit and went home because he was so frustrated with how his gun was jammming. I was congradulated by shooters for "finnishing the match" shooting a Steyr.

Magazine ads will NEVER erase the word of mouth reputation that this kind of performance will circulate.

19. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya armored :(

Bummer, Dude :x I expect Jack and the Boys will wanna get on top of this ASAP. If ya got your warriors goin' to battle for ya, ya best not send 'em to the front lines holdin' nothin' but their dicks! :roll: Bad publicity goes a long way and credibility is a hard thing to gain back, IMHO. And, why ya gotta send anything cept the slide back to 'em? And if ya just send the slide then that's "machine parts"...ain't it? 8-O The gunsmith, Jeff, how long has he been there?...and what's his background? Maybe Jack can fill ya in. <shrug> Perhaps Jack has a little clout in this regard. Ya never know til ya try and take small liberties. ;) I can see where SAI and Steyr may have liability concerns, but in my experiences with after market 1911 parts, I don't recall having an after market 1911 parts dealer tell me to send it in, blah, blah, blah..."liability". <shrug> But, lawyers and liberals ain't done yet, I guess. :roll: If you can chat up Jack about the FTE bad publicity and how its undermining sales and chipping away at their credibility, perhaps things will work out expiditiously for you and the Steyr M and S Series owners in future transactions. Plz, keep us in the loop.

Wulf

20. mikey

mikey Guest

Boy, I sure hope Steyr doesn’t to the way of Sturm Ruger and begin refusing to sell critical spare parts to the public. Were the Steyr pistols bulletproof, maybe - but our collective experience has shown instead that Steyrs can be cantankerous beasts. Knowing what I know now, I WANT to have a Steyr “spare parts” kit for my M40.

And, it’s just not practical for many of us to own a couple of “spare” Steyrs to keep handy for the times when our primary piece is back at the shop getting fixed (you know the old joke about how 1911 competition shooters all have to own three shooting pistols: one for the match, one as a spare, and the third at the shop getting fixed . . . ).

On a related note . . . I’ve got my M40 sitting in pieces right now on the kitchen table awaiting repairs (and, in the Steyr’s absence, my reliable old S&W “J” frame snubbie has been promoted to first line personal defense duty) but I also hesitated at shipping off my M40 to Steyr for factory service. Even though that would be my preferred choice, I’d not only have to pay the $50 or so for UPS or Fed-Ex overnight shipping, but I’ve discovered that local “UPS Stores” won’t accept handguns. I’ll have to drive to a UPS “hub” and ship it from there - and, living in a rural area as I do, I’m not even sure where the nearest UPS “hub” might be.

So yeah, if I could slip this one under the nose of UPS and get it sent ground, I’d consider doing so.