Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not heard so much about Win. ranger ammo being used by a Steyr member regularly. I'm particularly interested in the 155-165 bullet weight in 40.

Thanks,
Nixon - as in the former pres.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
I just bought 550 rds of 155gr .40 Ranger from Sportsman's Guide ($154) for the LFI-I class I am taking in mid-May. I am going to go to the range in a week or two and shoot 50 rounds to make sure I have no problems with it then use the rest for the course.

After the class I should be quite familar with it and will make a report.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,652 Posts
CDNN is offering a helluva deal on Winchester Ranger .40 S&W in 155 and 180 grain, $12.99 for 50 rds. I will be ordering some next week for my new M40A1 and am looking forward to trying it out big-time.

I figure if it's good enough for Homeland Security, I ought to give it a try. And at that price, how can you go wrong?

Incidentally, the CDNN catalog says it's "not normally available to the public" and call it "better than Talon."

Every now and then I see a box of Black Talon in 10mm and snap it up. Calling it better than Talon is high praise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,297 Posts
Netfotoj said:
CDNN is offering a helluva deal on Winchester Ranger .40 S&W in 155 and 180 grain, $12.99 for 50 rds. I will be ordering some next week for my new M40A1 and am looking forward to trying it out big-time.

I figure if it's good enough for Homeland Security, I ought to give it a try. And at that price, how can you go wrong?

Incidentally, the CDNN catalog says it's "not normally available to the public" and call it "better than Talon."

Every now and then I see a box of Black Talon in 10mm and snap it up. Calling it better than Talon is high praise.
What makes Black Talon so great?

I've read that Ranger was the same ammo as Black Talon, without the scary name and black slugs. Ranger supposedly has been "improved" as Winchester sees fit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,791 Posts
some may know more pertinent details but the black talon's claim to fame or imfamy rather were it's 6 "petals" or talons that turned into little stars upon bullet expansion. the reverse taper jacket was also cut slightly. when the jacket expanded, the jacket would break apart at the seams and reveal 6 very sharp talons. this to add laceration in addition to impact and crushing of soft tissue. it was believed that this would create a better, faster bleeding wound that would more quickly incapacitate the attacker.

it worked well, but not that much better than the other ammo developed at the same time. including the hydra-shok and the gold dot.

the talon had the marketing though!!! and the marketing that sold the bullets also drew in the media and the scary name basically forced winchester to pull the BRAND. not the product.


ranger sxt is basically the black talon without the lubalox coating. it's petals, when peeled apart during expansion have a more rounded edge. this edge produces the same style of lacerations, but is believed to be less likely to cut a physician trying to extract the expanded bullet. it features a plain copper reverse taper jacket.

most importantly, i personally, and lots of police departments believe this round to be the snizz. you'll find it very available and quite affordable.

you'll also find it in my s40. give her a look.

you'll never hear me say a bad word about hydra-shoks or gold dots. i just prefer the ranger SXT.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,073 Posts
Good write-up BT. I carry 127gr. +P+ Rangers in my M9A1 and the RA40T in my Sig .40 - they are all top notch stuff.

If you want a slightly more in-depth analysis of the Ranger rounds, see Firearms Tactical's writeup - Winchester Ranger Talon (Ranger SXT/Black Talon) Wound Ballistics. That should answer most of your questions about the round.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
bigtaco said:
some may know more pertinent details but the black talon's claim to fame or imfamy rather were it's 6 "petals" or talons that turned into little stars upon bullet expansion. the reverse taper jacket was also cut slightly. when the jacket expanded, the jacket would break apart at the seams and reveal 6 very sharp talons. this to add laceration in addition to impact and crushing of soft tissue. it was believed that this would create a better, faster bleeding wound that would more quickly incapacitate the attacker.

it worked well, but not that much better than the other ammo developed at the same time. including the hydra-shok and the gold dot.

the talon had the marketing though!!! and the marketing that sold the bullets also drew in the media and the scary name basically forced winchester to pull the BRAND. not the product.


ranger sxt is basically the black talon without the lubalox coating. it's petals, when peeled apart during expansion have a more rounded edge. this edge produces the same style of lacerations, but is believed to be less likely to cut a physician trying to extract the expanded bullet. it features a plain copper reverse taper jacket.

most importantly, i personally, and lots of police departments believe this round to be the snizz. you'll find it very available and quite affordable.

you'll also find it in my s40. give her a look.

you'll never hear me say a bad word about hydra-shoks or gold dots. i just prefer the ranger SXT.
So any conformation to the rumor that SXT stands for Same eXact Thing? :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,191 Posts
Ranger SXT ammo is my First and Only choice for carry when available.... which is pretty much always!!!!

:D :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,297 Posts
I'll go CorBon DPX, if money is no object.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,791 Posts
thunderbear... my man!!!

i never heard that.

but it makes sense to me. SXT Same eXact Thing. beautiful.

let's go put that in wikipedia!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,073 Posts
Just for the record, it most definitely is not the same exact thing.

And the play on letters is so common I'd be suprised if it wasn't already on a wiki :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,073 Posts
Here is another interesting page I stumbled across that compares the Ranger-T's (9mm) to a few other common defense rounds. Not the most scientific stuff ever done, but interesting just the same.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,692 Posts
Syntax360 said:
Here is another interesting page I stumbled across that compares the Ranger-T's (9mm) to a few other common defense rounds. Not the most scientific stuff ever done, but interesting just the same.
that was a nice job evaluating 9mm....what is the home page for this site???
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top