Expectant owner =D

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Crunchy_Monk, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Crunchy_Monk

Crunchy_Monk Guest

Well, its been a while since I first posted, pestering everyone with questions about the steyr. Between my room mate being an avid steyr fan, your answers (and the fact I get 3 paychecks from the state this month :p) I have finally taken the plunge and purchased myself an M40-A1 from CDNN.

I should be able to pick it up this Thursday, though only because of a 3 day waiting period.

On the bright side, Florida is an incredibly easy state to get a CCW in, and especially so when you're a state Detention officer =D

Anyways, I would love some input as to what I should do first (besides putting a few boxes of rounds down range) as I hear steyrs do need a bit of breaking in. Also, what kinds of parts/mods are available, as I can seem to find very little on the net. (The google(s), they do nothing!)

2. Garys4598

Garys4598 Premium Member

IMHO and recent experience, first and foremost you'll want to determine how your M40-A1 pistol's shell extractor is functioning. There is a strong likelihood that you will need to have your extractor exchanged with a newer more robust Steyr extractor. This has been my personal experience anyway.

Regarding aftermarket available parts or accessories... you hit the nail on the head; there is "little to nothing" out there. BUT, I would recommend purchasing BigTaco's captured stainless steel guide rod.

Welcome to the club!!!!

3. BadAndy

BadAndy New Member

Same here. I got my M40-A1 from CDNN and just sent it to SAI this week to have the extractor replaced because it would throw brass straight up in the air and also FTE on occasion.

4. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

Hi Crunchy,

Welcome aboard, accessories are limited but if they are out there then chances are they have been mentioned on steyrclub.

Don't want to discount the personal experiences of recent cdnn steyr purchasers, but would like to suggest they are not necessarily typical. If you use the search function of this site and put in the words cdnn cleaning or cdnn range report you will get some other experiences.

Hope you enjoy your new steyr pistol.

5. Crunchy_Monk

Crunchy_Monk Guest

Thanks =D

I am pretty excited about the purchase myself. This is my first hand gun. I have several years behind an AR-15 in competition shooting, but never really had much time with a hand gun. So, its a new arena for me. I hope to one day get into IDPA, but that is further down the road. Also, working on getting my concealed.

I was originally going to buy a Mini Glock (26 maybe), but my room mate turned me on to the Steyrs, hounding me with the quote, "Glocks explode" every time we got into a conversation about hand guns :) Though, after I shot his, and out shot him with his own gun, I was sold. Shoots like a dream :) I can't wait to get mine down to the range.

So, if I send mine off to SAI, how much can I expect to pay? Also, if I just drive up there and give it to them (as I live relatively close I think) could they just do it there?

Thanks for the input

6. steyrile

steyrile Member

You should only expect to pay postage to and from SAI. Question is does the gun have to be returned to you through your FFL...???
    If I were close enough to drive, I'd call first to get the lay of the land and prepare for a roadtrip.
    I've been shooting the original M9 and have never experienced extractor problems (knock on wood wall).
    :wall:
    Health, peace
    steyrile

7. Garys4598

Garys4598 Premium Member

+1 to what steyrile just stated.

BUT.... providing you took possession of your new pistol from CDNN through your FFL, the whole FFL requirement has then been taken care of for you; you shouldn't have to use the FFL's services again.

Least wise, such is how I have always come to know this sort of procedure.

8. Crunchy_Monk

Crunchy_Monk Guest

Well, I suppose I should just wait till I can take it to the range and fire it. It was actually one of the only quirks my roomie could say of the steyr, was being pinged in the crown with random brass every now and then =D

Lucky me though, I got my Lieutenant to give me this Thursday off, so i can go pick it up and take it down to the range. w00t!

9. nalioth

nalioth New Member

When sending your firearm off for repair, it is legal for it to be returned directly to you.

This is the only legal way that a firearm can be sent to you (the unlicensed person) directly across state lines.

10. Crunchy_Monk

Crunchy_Monk Guest

Now, I do have to ask, because I have seen them in a few photos of some of the other member's steyrs, but where do you get the threaded barrel for a steyr?

11. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

They can be had from Steyr-Mannlicher (via SAI) or IGB Austria. I highly recommend the former - it seems everyone who has done business with IGB lately is regretting it...

FWIW, mine came from S-M...

12. Crunchy_Monk

Crunchy_Monk Guest

Nice, thanks. I will keep that in mind when I am ready for that step.
    Also, there is a link for the guiderod on the steyrclub home page, but the link seems to be broken. Where does one find the guide rod replacements, and about how much are they? 8)

I know that most of this info is on the forums already, most likely, but my browser is not liking the search engine very much :p

13. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

14. Crunchy_Monk

Crunchy_Monk Guest

Ok, cool. Thanks for the info.

I will let you all know how it goes at the range when I get her =D