Ever have "one of those days"?

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by Syntax360, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

:x :x :x It seems I can do nothing right today. I was planning on taking my new Stag AR-15 out to the range this weekend, but it seems I failed to reinstall the stock properly after slapping on a single point sling mount. This caused the buffer tube spring and retainer to go tumbling into the lower and get all bent to hell when I tried chambering one. I got pissed off, and in my haste I bent the take down pivot pin detent spring and (of course) lost the pin. :x I think i need to leave this gun be for the rest of the day and see what I can do tomorrow about getting replacement parts.

Moral of the story: take your time and do everything right the first time.

2. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Sorry yo hear that..Calm down take a brake..

Or if your like me stay up all night trying to fix or replace all the bad parts..Until the whole thing needs to be sent out and fixed by a pro :lol:

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Good news is I know exactly what happened and I'll never make that mistake again. I just got off the phone with a smith in downtown Dallas who has at least the buffer tube spring and retainer in stock. I'm pretty sure he'll have the detent spring and pin as well - MAYBE I'll get this sucker operational before Saturday.

<--- Crosses his fingers.

4. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

...So.....

what was the mistake?

Please share, so I don't follow in your footsteps.....

:wink: :wink:

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

When reinstalling the buffer tube, I didn't screw it in far enough to cover the buffer retainer pin. When the gun was back together, the retainer and spring popped out and bounced around in the lower. When I tried to chamber one, it broke the spring and kinda bent the retainer. Messing up the detent spring and losing the pin was a rookie mistake that every website detailing the process warns about losing it. I got in a hurry and just plain forgot. :oops:

6. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Alright - I'm happy to report that my rifle is back online after a trip to the gunsmith to get replacement parts. She's all ready to rock 'n roll Saturday :twisted:.

7. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Good to hear ....Glad it all worked out :wink: