Erratic ejection -- LCI related?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Gray_Wolf, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

I just read a review of (an older) Steyr M by a fairly knowable member that posts on another forum I frequent. He says that inconsistent ejection is caused by the laded chamber indicator. I never thought about this... :?

http://www.cybershooters.org/dgca/steyr_m9.htm

What do you guys think?

2. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

to bad he doesnt talk about the malfunction in detail.

just checking my ejector it looks little short. wonder how ejectors vary if any.

3. drsmith58

drsmith58 New Member

The LCI?

Has anyone noticed how a shell casing sets against the slide in the Steyr compared to say The S&W Sigma VE. In the Sigma the casing is flat and the extractor easily hooks the shell casing rim and pulls the expended round back to be ejected.

In the Steyr the loaded chamber indicator, LCI, applies a forward force to the shell casing when the round is in battery it is flat because the slide is forcing it in to the chamber and overcomes the LCI spring. As the round is being ejected the LCI applies a forward force to the shell casing canting it as it moves rearward and something like this may play a part in the irratic ejections. I have noticed that as the LCI spring loosens up I'm having less FTE.

How stiff does the LCI need to be any way?

4. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

on ejection when barrel is camming down the LCI no longer makes contact with casehead. I seriously doubt the casehead would not be anything other than flush on ejection. unless it is a unfired cartridge.

5. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

during the case ejection when the ejector claw holds the case isn't LCI 'in a way'? meaning pushing in the opposite direction? that could explain erratic ejection and failures to eject problems. wouldn't it? :?

I notice my M9A1 seems to get better (~660 rounds); ejection is not as erratic as before - no longer spits he cases up (used to lend on my chest and head) now most fly to the right :) also only had 1 ETE in 75 rounds (in the last trip) with my problematic reloads - before I would get 2 per box. (factory ammo always functioned fine)...

6. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

Here's what he replied to the the question "In your review you said loaded chamber indicator causes erratic case ejection, how exactly?"