Enjoying the heck out of my L9A1

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by schgsd, Jul 28, 2015.

1. schgsd

schgsd Member

Joined a club, have been showing up for something they call a combat shoot one Sunday a month. $5 a run 12 shots on targets timed x 4 changes in setup. Points off for hitting a barricade or total loss of points in the round if you hit the hostage. Last event winning score was 88 seconds. I had 103 seconds 8th in field of 16 because I took two 5 second penalties for hitting a barricade. I shot Speer Lawman 124 gr fmj that day. Great fun, great pistol. ;)

2. G-Man

G-Man Member

Sounds like an IDPA type event. you should look it up and see if you have that available in your area. It's a lot of fun and great trigger time. I shoot my L9-A1 & M9-A1 competitively in IDPA events and they performs flawlessly. Trap sights are pretty dang fast and the trigger is hard to beat in a stock set-up.

3. Gregg1LE

Gregg1LE New Member

I can't wait to get mine !

4. schgsd

schgsd Member

Yes what we are doing is inspired by that type of event. I am shooting stock and was one of only 2 shooters last event without misfire or feed issues. I have seen some events listed not to far away that I believe were IDPA. If I have time might be nice to go and check one out. See what it involves.

Our next event is in a couple days and I've gotten my hands on a Viridian C5L. The rig still fits in my Paraclete drop leg so I'm gonna show up with it. :joker:

5. schgsd

schgsd Member

So, an update and a hard lesson learned. I spent the winter of 2015-2016 developing a load that would be soft recoil but still cycle an L9-A1. I'm using Rocky Mountain Bullets, the 147gr plated RN and 147gr "Thundercast" which is a FP cast lead. The Thundercast are effective in knocking down steel on posts and other ballistic flexible things that need to be put down to score. Everything has been going as planned. The load I came up with has given me no trouble for the first two meets. Changing out the trap sights to TruGlo TFX and installing the Big Taco's delrin cup on the firing pin has made the gun a real delight to shoot. It's quick, it's accurate and I'm not hitting no-shoots with it.

The third meet this year and I catch a curve ball that slaps me down hard. In the second stage we are given a barricade we have to shoot through with 3 slots. Left, Middle, Right. The left and right are to be shot one handed, the middle two handed. Done cleanly it should take 23 rounds to complete. I go in with two magazines, 32 rounds. I don't get past the barricade. About half my ammo is on the ground from clearing feed failures. Shooting one handed I limp wristed enough to cause the malfunctions because of the soft recoil round I'm loading. A painful lesson learned and I'll be bringing some hotter rounds to any more shoots so I'm ready for this next time.