Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is an old receipe, but nonetheless a great one. And guess what, it's cheap! For those of you who like it or are interested in other receipes - lead fouling anyone? Try http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

1 qt - Dexon ATF
1 qt - Acetone
1 qt - Kerosene
1 qt - Mineral Spirits

Use a high quality high density polyethelene gas can to store it - Blitz makes good ones (Walmart $10).

MIX THIS OUTSIDE WITH GOOD VENTILATION!!!

IF YOU SMOKE --- DON'T!!!!
We don't need any SteyrClub folks making the nightly news in a bad way!

Mix the ATF and Kerosene first - you can save some of this (about 4 oz per quart) as gun oil. Works very well!

You can leave out the acetone, but it won't remove any plastic fouling then (for those who'll use this on shotguns).

You can use MEK instead of acetone - be careful, that's nasty stuff.

This complements my moly fixation perfectly - it's wet, effective, and I can apply moly over it and it still reaches the metal. What more could a guy want?

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Dechlorinated brake clean works great to clean any gun, poly or metal frame. MUST be DECHLORINATED!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed. I use it when I want the surface absolutely clean. When I'm just removing crud and want a protective coating, Ed's Red has made it to the top of the heap. I still use moly, but more selectively these days. I substitute Kroil for the mineral spirits when the crud might need a little extra boost - so I've got a quart of the "Extra Power" formula. If you shoot shotgun, then using MEK instead of Acetone will really get the wad streaks out of the barrel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts