Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, as the title says, the edge of the feed ramp of my M9A1 (Frankensteyr) just broke (it's a small piece) but the gun is only 4,000 rounds give or take a few hundred. And living where I do, it's nearly impossible to get a new barrel.

Also the paperwork for getting a new barrel is hell!! but I'm willing to do it if I get one.....

Should I try to fix it?

Should I toss the pistol? "notice that no dealer is bringing steyrs anymore and the price for a glock or a steyr if someone brings them is around $2,000.00 (YES, US DOLLARS)"

Any inputs on the topic??

Later I'm going to take some pictures, got a few with my cell phone but they are out of focus...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, it sounds like you like the pistol (4000 rounds is a lot of shooting), and if it were my FrankenSteyr, I would get the new barrel. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well its 4000 rounds in 3 years...it's like 110 rounds a month....

I'm doing everything I can to get a new barrel, but for now I took it to the dealer and they are going to polish that piece just until we get a new barrel...

Oh and this is my daily carry and IDPA competition pistol...

·
Registered
505 Posts
I've had 2 barrels with broken edges on feedramps. They still work 100% fine. I just smoothened the edges out, afterward.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so yesterday I took the gun to the dealer and they just smoothened the edge. I'm going to give it a try like that.

I'll let you know.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If the gun functions fine with the modified feed ramp, I would still try to get a replacement barrel, knowing that it will take some time. I have a Taurus PT92 in for repair because of the same problem, but the piece that broke off was bigger than what you described and thus non-functional. If it had happened to my M9A1 (my favorite) I'd do whatever possible to get a barrel for it, even if it took a long time.

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
What are the laws concerning barrels in your country? I've got an extra M9A1 barrel I've never used that I might be willing to sell... Alternatively, threaded barrels can be had from Steyr Arms - even if they won't ship direct to you (perhaps they would?), I'm sure someone would be willing to play middle man on that (if that would be legal on your end).

·
Registered
513 Posts
stupid question, but is this broken feedramp piece a common problem? first i heard of it, but then again i don't pay close enough attention. thanks y'all in advance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What are the laws concerning barrels in your country? I've got an extra M9A1 barrel I've never used that I might be willing to sell... Alternatively, threaded barrels can be had from Steyr Arms - even if they won't ship direct to you (perhaps they would?), I'm sure someone would be willing to play middle man on that (if that would be legal on your end).
Laws concerning barrels are stupid here, I can only replace a barrel if an authorized dealer sells it and have to take it to the military department were they keep record of the pattern and all ballistics.

I can not import a barrel in any possible way (at least if I want to keep everything legal which I do).....

So I'm going to try to buy one through the store that sold me my Steyr.

Hope it works...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts