Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading this forum and on page 6 saw there you could tell the date of manufacture of your SSG-69 by the letter code stamped on the action and barrel. Well I just had to check mine out and discovered that mine has numbers "979" instead of letters stamped on the action, barrel and bottom of the "butter knife" bolt handle. :wall: The serial number is 1102XX and no, the last two numbers of the serial number are not any combo of the "979" number . On the right side of the barrel by the action there is "979" stamped and about 1/2 way down the barrel there is stamped "Ö NORM M3170 STLF3" and on the left side of the barrel by the action is ".308 Win". It has gray single, 2 stage trigger, a folding rear sight blade and carries a ZF 69 x 42 KKahles/Wien scope, Serial number 2010XX. The rifle has the OD green synthetic stock, black butt pad with spacers and the barrel is gray parked.

Anyone have the chart showing the month/year of manufacture for numbers? And what is the correct term to use to identify this rifle. I know it is a SSG-69, but how/where would you identify it in the generation/version of the SSG-69s? SSG-69 only or SSG-69 Ver.0? Any idea what the barrel markings "Ö NORM M3170 STLF3" stand for?

I would have posted pictures but the program and I are have a "headspace" problem.

Thank you for taking time to read this and for any assistance you can provide.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BravoMike
Well I was finally able to make some headway in posting pictures showing the rifle and the rear sight folded and upright. Steyr USA said that the rifle was produced in Sept 1979 so I guess thats what the "979" stands for and they said that it was called a "SSG-69 P1" even with the early folding rear sight. Most rifles I've seen in the US have the standup only "hunting" style rear sight, not the folding sight that was used by the military when mounting Night vision sights. (thats from what I've observed in pics). So I guess thart since they developed the SSG-69 in 1969, my rifle was right at 10 years in the manufacturing cycle, still early in the production cycle timing. Also I attached the reticle of the ZF 69 6x42 Kahles scope which is not normally seen.

SSG-69 oa picture with muzzle cap.jpg [/attach] Rear sight, folded.jpg Rear sight, upright.jpg , retical.jpg

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts