E-Mail to Steyr...

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by steveinaz, Sep 25, 2007.

1. steveinaz

steveinaz Guest

I know, futile right? Well here goes anyway. Here's the email I sent, when they respond I'll post the reponse:

>>>start

I'm a Steyr M9A1 owner and member of the SteyrClub forum. If Steyr is hoping to make it's mark in the law enforcement/military/civilian market, you guys are going to have to make common parts available. Things like recoil guide rod assemblies, springs, barrels, extractors, etc. I bring this concern up, because I am on my 4th Steyr pistol. I owned 3 Steyr M's in the past, and ended up selling all 3 due to worries about not having parts readily available.

No customer wants to ship an entire pistol when all that is needed is an easily replaced part. This is a FACT. This is the number one reason people turn to Glock. Barring a catastrophic failure, most any problem can be corrected by the owner. I've only owned my new M9A1 a short time; I really like the pistol; but again I'm thinking that maybe I made a mistake with this purchase.

At a minimum, Steyr USA should at least have a few select vendors that can sell routinely replaced parts---this would be a step in the right direction, in my opinion. I can assure you, as sure as the sun will set tonight, that lack of parts will doom these pistols for anything but niche owners, and that would be a shame for such a fantastic product.

Gaston Glock knows what the people want....and he provides it. I hope Steyr adopts the same philosophy.

>>>end

We'll see what they have to say.

Steyr's response:

>>>start

Good Morning Stephen,

Parts and service for Steyr products has been available here in Cumming, GA, for several years now, and while some parts are not sold to the general public, service for those parts is available.

Steyr, as with most of the firearms manufacturers, does not sell some internal parts except to trained armorers and gunsmiths, and we have not had the opportunity to set up training classes as of yet…

If you have some specific needs, please let me know what they are and I will see what I can do.

Turn around for most repairs is one to two weeks, or sooner. Recoil spring units are available.

Sincerely,

Jack Riddle

>>>end

My reply:

>>>start

Thanks for the reply Jack. I can understand Steyr's position for items like slides, frames, other major sub assemblies; but I feel that normal "wear-and-tear" items should be readily available without having to ship a pistol back. Of course you do have some folk's that don't want to attempt even a basic repair---but many more can and do.

This is really the core of Glock's success, I know, I've been a Glock owner since 1987. People who take their defensive weapons seriously want readily available spare parts.

Thanks again Jack for taking the time.

>>>end

Meanwhile Jack sends a very nice email thanking me for supporting the Steyr pistols program. He mentions that they are doing their best to ensure success. I returned this reply:

>>>start

Jack,
    I see it, time & time again on the GlockTalk forum; many Glockers are interested and intrigued by the Steyr pistols, but as soon as they hear that you have to ship the pistol back for service, they are immediately turned off. It's not just limited to Glock; look at the Ruger, CZ, and SIG forums, same deal. It's really a shame, but the market is what the market is---and to survive today you've got to have at least 1 of 2 things: 1) EOM Parts availability OR 2) Aftermarket parts availability. The Steyr M/MA1 has no aftermarket aside from magazines and holsters. It's really a paradox; you've got to have customer support to get the aftermarket energized, but it's hard to get customer support without aftermarket parts. So...the solution? Steyr does the best it can to provide as many (OEM) parts as possible in the interim, build up their customer base (aka "word of mouth") and BINGO, things begin to fall into place and the aftermarket manufacturers see a demand that they can capitalize on.

I know, sounds easy right? I realize I'm over-simplifying a bit, but I think you can see my logic. Thanks for listening Jack, you've got a small, albeit "hardcore" following with the Steyr pistols, we ALL want to see it succeed.

Best regards,

>>>end

2. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

They should get the message with that.

3. rosebud

rosebud New Member

I still can't understand why they wouldn't make parts easily available, at least through the distributor. Don't they make money on them?

4. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Should'a passed that around the room first.....

..I would'a put my John Hancock on it real big right in the middle!!!!

:wink: :wink:

5. mike_hk2ksk

mike_hk2ksk New Member

Just for the record. I called SAI, ordered and received recoil spring assemblies 10 bucks a pop. Mean to use springs with BT rods once I have the money to acquire...

6. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

I'm glad you put that up!!

I will try to call tomorrow and pick up a few.

7. steveinaz

steveinaz Guest

I can understand Steyr not wanting to sell slides, frames, other major subassemblies--but common wear-n-tear parts should be available without shipping a gun back. It's rediculous. This is the same thing Ruger does. That's why I'd never own a Ruger defensive auto-pistol, but at least the demand is there for aftermarket concerning Ruger. The 2 Rugers I own (see my sig) both have very good aftermarket support.

8. steveinaz

steveinaz Guest

Bump, see Steyr's response on first post.

9. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Good news on the recoil units. Will have to get a spare.

10. luvmy40

luvmy40 Member

SAI customer service ROCKS!

I recently had to repair a hole in the wall of my garage after I watched the "lock Spring" of my M9A1 fly through the air. After a futile attempt to find the little bugger I gave up and called SAI hoping that the springs were available.
    "The person who handles parts is gone for the day can he return your call tomorrow?" I sighed, gave them my number and made a mental note to call again and again until I could talk to this "person".
    Long story short (or is it too late for that?) He called me back promptly the next day and assured me that he would get 2 lock springs in the mail, no charge. He also assured me that "We are trying to get an armorer's class up and running." I expressed interest in attending and thanked him for the prompt call back.
    True to his word, 3 days later (yes,3 days) the springs arrived with a few "Steyr" logo stickers.
    I wish I could remember the name of the gentleman I spoke to, but I can't.

If this is indicative of their normal business dealings, I think it bodes well for the future of Steyr in the USofA.

11. mikey

mikey Guest

Boy, right on, and I thank you for pushing this issue with the folks at Steyr.

Steyr’s replacement parts policy has been inconsistent. luvmy40 apparently got replacement springs from SAI with no hassle, but they surely did prohibit the sale of even commonplace replacement parts not too long ago - have they just changed their policy???

Now, let me emphasize: SAI’s service is first-rate. They repaired the damaged extractor on my M40 quickly, and they did so at no cost. I absolutely praise them for that! HOWEVER, it still cost me $60 in UPS overnight shipping, so it wasn’t exactly “free.” :( And, I was also without my M40 for nearly two weeks.

So, yes, I understand the negative reaction Glockers have towards Steyr’s spare-parts policy. Extractors, especially, seem a weak point in the Steyr design, and it’s nuts to have to ship our Steyr pistols off to the factory for such a minor repair when Glockers can simply run down and pick up replacements for their pieces locally (“Glockmeister,” here in Arizona, has all the spare Glock extractors one could ask for, in stock and ready to go, for $18.95 each).

Everybody here, I think, WANTS Steyr to succeed in America - but you also gotta give the customers (current and potential) what they demand. And serious shooters simply demand the ready availability of common replacement parts.

12. steveinaz

steveinaz Guest

I absolutely agree that SAI's customer service is wonderful. The inconvenience factor is what I question. Your example of extractor issues is a PEFECT example. This is usually a very simple fix that probably 85% of us could do with no problem---so give customers the option. Thos customers that are not comfortable doing their own repairs would still have the option to ship the pistol to SAI.

There's another angle to this as well. The first thing people do is look for "bad press" on a gun they are considering. I submit, that if SAI provided the parts to customers, you'd see alot less bad press. The last thing a new gun trying to cut a niche on the market needs, is a bunch of bad press on a reoccuring issue; especially when it is something that is relatively easily fixed.

Consider these 2 ficticious posts:

"I had an extractor issue, called SAI and the y shipped me out a new extractor, the gun is good now."

"I had an extractor issue, had to send the pistol in to SAI, they did a great job but it took 2 weeks."

Right away the skeptics are going to say...."You had to send the pistol in for an extractor?" "Forget that, Glock parts are availble everywhere." "How are you going to maintain your pistol if SAI goes out of business?"

13. rlwood29

rlwood29 Guest

First, very new at all this so tentatively offering these comments. I fully agree with the sentiment of the tread. Even though a newbe, (and love my Steyr and believe it is a superior firearm) I am looking to pickup a POS Glock cheep because I know that I can stop in at a Glock Shoot or when I visit my brother in the Atlanta area and they will completely rebuild the firearm, good as new for FREE. And even if I couldn’t, I could buy just about every single part needed to rebuild the entire firearm on line.

I suspect that some of the company’s reluctance is simple legal liability, they send you a part, you put it in yourself, you take the gun out and shoot yourself, nothing to do with the part replacement or anything else, they are the ones with the deep pockets, and they get sued. They can spend thousands of dollars to defend them self against a BS lawsuit or they can spend thousands of dollars to settle; not fair or right but the way things are.

It appears that the worst of the present situation for the owner, gunsmiths and retailers have they own legitimate complaint, is the shipping cost to get the firearm to SAI. Time is also a factor but realistically, not many of us are going to be “gun less” for the week or two the repair is going to take. Since Steyr seems to be fairly reluctant to move in the direction we would all agree that they should by supplying routine maintenance parts, perhaps a reasonable compromise to the situations would be to pay for the shipping both ways, which is not unusual for several of the other manufactures offer. While we might not be able to move the company to the position we would like as Steyr owners, it might be possible to reach this compromise. Some of the forum members that have developed a relationship with SAI/Steyr please consider this position and see what you think.

14. I think Steyr is being very smart in how they keep replacement to those firearms that are sent into their service center.

There is a host of liability concerns and just quality assurance that is best maintained through keeping repairs with the service center or certified Steyr Armorers. I agree that Steyr does need to do an aggressive job of training Steyr Armorers though that can be entrusted with the repair parts and service.

15. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

Hi steveinaz,

i understand your point about parts availability and its impact on some folks purchasing decisions, for competitive shooters difficulty purchasing replacement parts to keep handy can be a real deal breaker.

however, your posts also assume that steyr will require that a firearm be mailed to them for the installation of factory parts and that isn't necessarily true. SAI has mailed replacement parts including extractors out on occasion at no charge. they are great representatives for Steyr here in the states and they will help you if you have a problem.

https://www.steyrclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3737

the fact that they will mail replacement parts if they think that is the best way to resolve a particular problem doesn't really address your retail parts availabilty concerns; but did not want folks thinking that Steyr would necessarily require folks the expense and inconvenience of mailing a firearm to them for a part replacement.

16. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Add a $10 UPS charge whether you order one or ten.