Duty Holster

Discussion in 'Holsters' started by kidicarus13, Nov 3, 2007.

1. kidicarus13

kidicarus13 New Member

I just returned from the local L.E. supply store and many of the holsters that were recommended in previous posts to fit the M9A1 did not (i.e. S&W Sigma, HK USP). Any other suggestions for a leather duty rig? Thanks.

2. madecov

madecov Active Member

3. Skjoldulfr

Skjoldulfr Guest

In my search for a duty holster I have found out that the Uncle Mike's size 22 Pro 3 holster works but I didn't care for that type of holster. The Safariland Model 518 fit 79 works great but it is only a level I retention( plain clothes holster). I spoke with Simon from BAE Systems at a SLLET symposium this week. BAE Systems now owns Safariland, Bianchi, Armor Holdings etc. The SSIII model 070 holster fit 79 according to them should fit the same as it does with the model 518. The 518 was the start of the new ALS system of holsters but I still like the SSIII, have been carrying it for 12 years so far. They are getting a demo to try them for fit of the M40 A1 (070-79, 78, and the 744 fit to see which one works best). I will repost as so I get results. By the way the 518 utilizes the new 3 hole design for the leg platform , comes with a paddle, and the 2.25 inch duty belt. The 3 hole style allows you to take the holster and mount it in different configurations to include Molle for tactical vests.

4. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Skjoldulfr,

That sure is one dandy of a first post!

Many of us appreciate your sharing of information, and look forward to hearing the results when you get them!

Thanks for contributing, and welcome to SteyrClub!!!

:clap: :clap:

5. madecov

madecov Active Member

I have the 6280 for the original M series. If you remove the tension screw and heat the holster a bit from the inside you can insert the MA1 series and make it fit.
    I did this with 2 holsters and it works.

STX Tac finish

[​IMG]

High gloss finish
    [​IMG]

6. madecov

madecov Active Member

Guys I've playing a bit on the duty holster front and here's something I found.

The Safariland 6280 light bearing holster for the Smith and Wesson M&P
    with tactical light will almost fit the Steyr MA1 perfectly without a light, the gun will rock back and forth in the holster without a light and the hood will be a bit tight. with a light attached the trigger guard is a bit too large.

I'm thinking of ordering a second holster and heating it up a bit to soften the kydex and then pushing the MA1 into the holster to stretch it a little and see what happens. It it works I'll order a second version for the M&P without light and try that. At worst it will make the M&P version a bit looser in the trigger guard.

here's the holster I'm thinking of modding slightly
    [​IMG]

7. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

What's the difference between the yellow cuffs and the chrome cuffs? :think: :think:

8. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

For arresting felonious Asians? Fashion-conscious valley girls? Anti-war protesters? :mrgreen:

Slap them chrome ones on me, sir, and I'll go quietly. Just don't use them yella ones, please!

9. madecov

madecov Active Member

PAINT :wall:

Seriously? Several cuff manufacturers do cuffs in several colors for 2 reasons

1st, Identify your cuffs when there are several officers at the jail
    2nd, color code your prisoners. Red = high risk, yellow=low risk, pink = :roll:

10. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Pink is for members of "The Pink Pistols," a gay group of gun owners that is one of the parties who filed briefs in support of our gun rights in Heller vs. D.C case. I read it in the Washington Post today, so it's got to be true. So now you know why some makers offer pink pistols. :oops:

11. radinusa

radinusa Guest

YES!!!!!
    Salvation is here at last!. :notworthy: :notworthy: :clap: I just received a Cordura duty holster direct from SICKINGER in Austria.
    Perfect fit for the model M-A1. It cost Euru 40...plus shipping. Go to http://WWW.sickinger.at
    I ordered the "Duty 2000" model holster which is also available with an add on tactical/thigh set.
    The have no US agents, the closest is in Canada....but they were of no help.
    I dealt with the factory direct.
    If "someone" in the club wants to collect orders..e.g. left or right hand and styles...maybe you can order in bulk saving bank fees, they do NOT accept credit cards, bank wire transfers only.
    They are VERY nice to deal with, possibly will discount for large orders.
    Good luck everyone.
    Check out the website!!!!!

12. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Care to post a picture of yours w/ the Steyr?

13. Skjoldulfr

Skjoldulfr Guest

I finally got the SSIII holster. I had to remove the tension screw and heat the holster to get the trigger guard snap closed. I tested it on the range and I don't feel confident that it would stay in the holster if grabbed. The ejection port safety inside the holster doesn't match up either. Well I'll still be looking for a leather Level 3 retention holster.