Drawing down...... on the UPS guy?

Discussion in 'The Soap Box' started by GROUPER TROOPER 32, Jan 9, 2011.

1. GROUPER TROOPER 32

GROUPER TROOPER 32 New Member

So, it's a couple of days before Christmas and I see a white male in jeans and a white striped shirt run up to my back door. He stooped head level with the door handle and then takes off. My wife goes to the door, I tell her not to open it. I retrieve Mr. Steyr and head outside. My back door is inside the back yard gate and the driveway is near the back gate. I get outside my gate and see the man standing across the street from my vehicles. As I approach, gun in hand, a UPS truck stops between us and the guy gets in. I put my firearm behind my back and approach the driver asking him if the guy is with him. He says yes and I ask him to please use the front door next time and ring the bell, like they used to. When I return to the back door a small package is off to the side.
    End of story? NO!!!
    The very next night, same thing but with the uniformed driver. I walked outside and explained to him about approaching someones back door at night, 1930. I then explained the FULL situation from the night before. I think he understood then.

LESSONS LEARNED
    I can't believe my "ferocious'' Pom-Chi's didn't overpower them.hahahaahah
    Using a light on a firearm points a muzzle at someone/something you may not want swept.
    A light on a firearm is good for inside your home but bad for outside. At least for me.

2. khoff

khoff New Member

electronics do not belong on hand guns. lights,lazers,dot-sights. tried them imho ELECTRONICS DO NOT BELONG ON HAND GUNS.

3. Narsil

Narsil Premium Member

Assuming you are using proper trigger finger discipline (meaning your trigger finger is resting along the frame and not within the trigger frame until intending to fire), what is the harm in "sweeping" everything you want to get a better look at? If your muzzle isn't tracking your non-attached light, it seems to me it your light is only going to illuminate the threat which you then need to train your muzzle on to deal with.

If I go into someone's back yard at 1930 hours with no advanced warning, especially having totally ignored the front door and gone through a closed gate to get there, I have absolutely no reason to be affronted when that home's owner bears down on me with whatever firepower he deems appropriate. Shooting me with no confrontation and no breaking in on my part is a whole other matter, however.

4. GROUPER TROOPER 32

My concern is leaving the confines of my house or fenced yard to an "open" area, private property or not, and pointing a firearm at someone before I can identify a threat to my life. I wonder what a responding officer would consider brandishing a firearm. I keep the M40a1with a light on it for the wife. She understands to stay inside. I, normally, never go outside with a firearm mounted light.

5. Narsil

Narsil Premium Member

I'm not being a smartass here; it's an honest question. Can it possibly considered "brandishing" if you drew down on an ununiformed officer in your gated backyard who did not identify himself? If you did it on Main Street, sure. I don't know about your backyard <shrug>.

6. GROUPER TROOPER 32

That is exactly what the problem is. He, the un-uniformed ups guy, was out of the gate and off of my property before I got outside. I was still going to confront him but not with pointing a weapon at him. I was on my property, outside my back gate using the light to clear my yard and identify any threat. I hate sweeping anyone with a muzzle unless absolutely necessary. I will still carry a light but it will be in my non-shooting hand.

With brandishing, I doubt it would be a problem but when a way too proactive officer gets a man with a gun call, things can go wrong quickly. Luckily for me, my neighbors know I come out armed when something is strange.

7. shiroyu

shiroyu Member

yup some officers just seem to arrive with a whole lot of attitude, especially when they believe they know whats happening or that you are some gun toting wack job. Unfortunately, thats when a responsible gun owner can end up in a whole heap of trouble legally or dead if that is the case. Even though i have tac lights I am with you about not leaving them on my pistol when something seems a little off, and carrying a supplemental light in my weak hand. Cant be to safe these days!!!