Drank the M40-A1 Kool-Aid

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by steyrcase, Dec 30, 2006.

1. steyrcase

steyrcase Member

Went to the gun show in Tulsa today, found a used M40-A1 with 2-12 and 1-10 round magazines for $385. Not quite the $299 deal that Ikorman found last week, but good enough for me to take home.
    Ran a box of 165 gr. CCI Blazers through it trying to make it jam, tried limpwrist, etc. no problems of any kind. The aluminum cases (can't call it brass) landed in a 3 foot circle to my right, except 5 unaccounted for, probably lost under leaves on the ground. I think if it will handle Blazers it will handle anything, at least Blazers have always been most likely to cause problems in other guns I've owned.
    Didn't fire for accuracy, but I'm sure the gun will shoot better than I can right now.
    I'll look for a 357 Sig barrel for it once I get over paying this unplanned purchase. I did NOT expect to find a used M-A1 today.... \:D/
    I see by the replies that using Blazers wasn't a significant test. My previous experience with Blazers was bad in the S&W Sigma (though it didn't feed anything well), Colt Commander, Browning HiPower, Glock 36. My Hk P7M8 never had any problems with Blazers though, but it eats anything 9mm without hesitation. I hope this means my M40-A1 is in the same reliability class as the P7.

2. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

nice find. my steyr loves CCI Blazer though I only feed it the brass variety. 357sig barrel would suggest either try contacting steyr in US or MDW guns in US.

http://www.mdwguns.com/start.htm
    its not so much a koolaid as a fine ale

3. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

If it works its a good buy. Sounds good. For practice I have used 10s of thousands of Blazer with no problems in any gun.

4. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

IGB has the 357sig barrel for about 200$$....plus the cost of fitting......until SA decides to sell the barrels its going to be an expensive changeover.........

5. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Shooter :)

Did ya follow up with Carmen at Steyr Austria? Wassup with that. Sounds like the bbls are 'sposed ta be truly "dropins". They seemed very concerned about them not being so.

BTW...sorry bout this little hijackin'. <shurg> Good buy. :p

Wulf

6. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

PM you on that.............. :?