don't have a steyr, but that may change.

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by fryeg7, Mar 5, 2007.

1. fryeg7

fryeg7 Guest

hello, this is my first post here, but i've been lurking as a guest for a while. i've been intrigued by the steyr M's for a long time now, but have never bought one. i'm a pretty diehard CZ fan and own 4 covering all my bases for USPSA and CCW. but i've been on a quest for a new plastic fantastic' for CCW as of late, something a bit less dense than my P-01. i'm a big fan of 'shootability', which is why i like my CZ's, and the steyr's low bore axis, good ergos and glowing reviews seem promising.

i'm specifically interested in the M9A1. i already shoot and carry 9mm's and reload my match rounds, so i don't really want to feed another caliber. the current CDNN deal can't be beat.

uncle sam finally gave back the money he stole from me last year (and i'm selling another pistol, so the wife won't be to pissed i'm buying another), and i'm about ready to make a purchase, but i have a few questions . . . .

mags: this pistol will be shot in production class USPSA, so i will need at least 5 magazines, meaning i need to purchase 3 more. these can be 10 rounds, as that is the mag cap limit in production. how much and where to get these? i've seen some 10rnders in CDNN for cheap, but are they factory steyr? if not, are they functional? what's the best price/location for standard cap (15rnd) 9mm mags?

holsters/mag holders: will steyr mags fit in standard fobus '9mm.40 doublestack' carriers? i know it's slim pickins' for MA1 specific holsters (i'm kinda used to this with CZ's, but it's not as bad), but is there another pistol's holsters the MA1 fits in? for example, i shoot USPSA out of a glock 21 holster using a CZ SP-01. i'm less worried about a carry holster. i often carry IWB in a simple sheath holster and can easily make one fit.

reliability: i've read a good percentage of the posts in this forum and really don't have many serious worries. seems a lot of the 'issues' are break-in/tight tolerance issues. no biggie, i can fix that with some polishing, fitting and matches, and a 'tight' pistol is a good thing that gets better with age when it comes to accuracy. i'm certainly not a gunsmith, but i'm pretty handy and can fix 'tolerance' issues as long as they are too tight and not too loose. what does concern me though is the extractor issues. has it been fixed/redesigned? can i fix it myself if i happen to get one with an issue? i know this is a problem on a small minority of pistols, but it does occur . . . .

trigger: i've always been a DA/SA shooter and i like my SA trigger. how hard is it for some of to transition to the steyr trigger and back to SA triggers? is the reset going to give me issues? i shoot a lot, and almost all of that with DA/SA CZ's. i don't want to screw up my trigger control by training with a different system.

i know most, if not all, of these questions already have answers on this board, but some of the information is old and i have some pretty specific questions based on my shooting background and what i already own.

thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any advice.

happy shooting.

frye

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I can hit two of your Q's real quick...

The 10 round mags on CDNN are factory Steyr mags. To the best of my knowledge, there have been no known (read common) "issues" with them.

Regarding holster selection, it's not as bad as you think. Blade-Tech makes a few for the M(A1)'s - I own a UCH and love it. There are probably 5 or 6 other manufacturers that make holsters and the selection is growing - steadily but surely.

3. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

welcome to the club congrats on first post
    trigger the steyr may spoil you its short and crisp 1911 like.

recommend dont try to fix anything until the gun has had plenty of ammo through it with exception to burrs even then be carefull.

extractor usually 1911 plunger spring mod works but dont worry about it till it happens. if worry have a 1911 plunger spring and a wire clipper standby. search for more info

the steyr doesnt like light loads and has been finicky with faster burning powders for some I havent had chance to test this out fully.

shoot with a hat and watch for ejection back into the face. though using stout loads will aid with breakin and
    send the casings flying. powerpistol loads.

plated,lead and hornady xtp's may not seat past 1.120-1.125 bullets with a tall wide shoulder from the base of the bullet tend to hit rifling. my main experience has been with Hornady XTP's 115,125,147. heavier it was sooner it would hit land. just fyi. depends on the bullet so workup some dummies loads and check to be sure.
    if it has a ball profile it will probably go longer but may hit rifling before 1.169" max.
    load some dummies mark the bullet, chamber and eject look for rifling marks. shorten repeat and measure the OAL"
    very accurate barrel in 9mm and 40sw is pretty good though I shoot 9mm better.

oh btw the Steyr is a bit of a Decepticon when it comes to it. more than meets the eye.
    it has a steel frame hidden beneath its polymer exterior.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. fryeg7

fryeg7 Guest

i'm currently loading 147grn truncated-cone, moly-coated lead bullets from precision bullets. i'm a reloading noob, so my one and only (and apparently successful :) ) load is that bullet over 4.7grns of Vv3N37 at 1.095-1.010" OAL. this has proven to group twice as tight and track/recoil much better than the WWB 9mmi've been shooting for years. the intermittant mag drop problem has been solved with the shorter OAL and different bullet profile. WWB valu-pak is long and pointy.

i can load whatever i need to for break-in, and/or match rounds. and a good polish job never hurt any pistol, especially tight ones :wink: :D .

frye

5. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

9mm in the steyr is about like shooting 22lr with standard stuff your 147gr load should work fine and be boring on the recoil.

max load of anything moderate to slow burning is good. WSF,PowerPistol,Vv N340-3N37.

most accurate load I have shot was 115gr winchester FMJ hollow base with WSF max load with 1.150" OAL
    grafs and midway have them though they sell fast.

6. Go for It!

You really can't beat the CDNN deal right now on M9A1s you'd have to be crazy to pass it up.

The natural point, limited recoil, great ergonomics, and quality service from SAI can't be beat.

If money isn't an object though I'd probably wait for the new shipment of MA1s and SA1s to come in. They might have a few improvements, but they'll be a lot more expensive that those at CDNN.

7. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

FWIW when I bought my Steyr M9A1 I picked it over CZ 75SP-01 (I was deciding between the two)... 8)

for $350 you can't go wrong!

8. fryeg7

fryeg7 Guest

my USPSA pistol is a matt minked SP-01 :D .

frye

9. sewerman

sewerman Premium Member

buy the thing ......you won't regret it!

10. fryeg7

fryeg7 Guest

i bought a pistol today, but it wasn't a steyr.

they did have both a .40 and a 9mm M-A1 and i fondled the 9mm extensively :D . very nice feeling pistol and i love the way it sat in my hand. the trigger and action also felt very good. the thing that turned me off was how it 'points'. the grip angle isn't what i'm used to. although not as bad as a glock, i 'pointed' the steyr high. i do a lot of match shooting and CCW, and i don't want to have to adjust to a new pistol and possible undo some training i've done. the difference in the 'point' was enough that it would require some work/practice to adjust. other than that, it was very nice.

i did buy another CZ, my 5th. i got a stainless steel CZ75B in 9mm. she's a beauty and fits right in. i already have lots of holsters and mags for CZ's, that also influenced my decision. obviously, CZ's 'point' right for me.

here's a pic:

[​IMG]

thanks for all your input.

frye

11. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

cz's point right cause that's what you're used to!!!

grab a couple of steyr's, get used to them and drop the cz's.

couple years from now, you'll find yourself pointing cz's low!!!

oh just picking.

nice looking gun. but hammers look weird to me.

12. fryeg7

fryeg7 Guest

if the steyr pointed the same, i'd have bought it. i really liked it. but, i like how my CZ's point and fit my hands. the steyr felt very good, it just pointed too high.

i kinda like a hammer and a DA/SA trigger. with training and practice you can become proficient with the DA first shot, but the SA trigger pulls on the remaining shots are much nicer than any stock striker gun. i've played with some smithed guns that have incredible triggers, but i don't think i would carry one that way. i must say, the steyr's trigger was one of the best striker gun triggers i've felt that hasn't been worked on.

frye

13. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i can understand sticking with something familiar.

as far as DA/SA, i had a glock shooting buddy who switched to sig for his competition piece.

he said, "i don't care if i throw EVERY first shot with the DA. the SA is so much lighter, smoother, and crisper, that i'll make it up."

he was right!! he got decent with the DA, but was blinding with the SA.

i just like a weapon where everytime you pull the trigger, you get the same feel. wouldn't mind second strike capability though.

14. fryeg7

fryeg7 Guest

i used to throw my DA shots bad in matches, but lots of dry-fire and shooting fixed it. i can't tell the difference between my first target and my last target anymore. the first shot does take a hair longer to get off though since i'm pre-loading the trigger though.

frye

15. sewerman

sewerman Premium Member

the poa problem might be that you are holding the steyr like you would hold your C.Z.

grip deep into your hand and extend the arm with your wrist canted down allowing the recoil to flow from your balled hand straight down from your hand throughout your entire arm.

do not hold your your fist at 90 degrees to your wrist.

if you do the above method there will be very little muzzle flip, and you will have a more natural poa.

this method/ style allows the recoil to be absorbed through the entire bone structure of the arm and not just the hand and wrist.

sorta like the three finger thrust or closed fist punch in martical arts.

good luck, just my 2 cents worth. C.Z. make great rifles and handguns.

16. fryeg7

fryeg7 Guest

i'm sure your correct. CZ's also have a pretty low bore (although not as low as the steyr) and allow a very high grip. the web of my strong hand is only just below the bottom of the barrel. it's the grip angle of the steyr that gets me. i'm sure it can be done, but i'm not sure i'm will to try to adjust to something new. i do a lot of practical shooting and myshooting 'habits' are pretty well ingrained and it would be quite a set back to start over again and build an entirely different set of muscle memory for the steyr. i can look at an object, close my eyes and point any of my CZ's at it with my eyes still closed and end up with mights sights on target very consistently. it would take a bit to get to that point with a new pistol with a strange grip angle.

thanks again for everyones' advice and help.

happy shooting.

frye

ETA: even though i don't own a steyr or plan on buying one in the near future, i'll think you all will still see me around a bit. you guys are alright :D .

17. sewerman

sewerman Premium Member

it's always prudent to borrow or rent to see if a new style handgun will be adaptable.

personally, i have fired the old 1911's with the army pistol teams.

fired ruger's mk I,II,III, beratta off hand / counter balanced target pistols,

glocks, taurus 24/7,

h & k, XD-9,

and on and on yet i really like the M-9 the best.

i can fire any handgun accurately with practice ....but the M-9 just seems natural.

good luck and expand your horizons, life is short!