Done gun buying -- for a while

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by Netfotoj, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

You know you've had a good week when you find not one but two firearms you really wanted -- and needed.

I sold my Kel-Tec P-11 9mm in the middle of the week and on the advice of Doc Chronos, went PF-9 shopping and found one. It's lighter, slimmer, has a much better trigger and the only sacrifice is the 7-round magazine vs. the 10-round magazine of the P-11. The trigger improvement alone made it worth the upgrade.

Here's my new Kel-Tec PF-9, with my Uncle Mike's pocket holster, extra magazine and a Hogue Handall Jr. grip.

[​IMG]

With what was left in my gun fund, I had been thinking about a .38 Super pistol, but after investigating and finding not only are pickings slim, the only one I could afford, the EAA Witness, is darn hard to find or even to order online. And with recent events I decided it was time to fill another big hole in my SHTF plan, a real rifle.

So I changed gears and began to scout around for a serious rifle. I used to be a 9mm snob, but I got over that with my S&W 669 subcompact and then with two different Kel-Tec 9s. But I'm still a .223 snob. My idea of a serious rifle round is at least 30'06 or .308. I had a couple of SKS 7.62x39mm rifles and wasn't impressed with that round either. It's fine within 100 yards or so, but out to 200 and beyond, it's practically useless. The same is generally true of .223, though it is a better performer than the SKS/AK round.

So I scouted around for a semi-auto rifle in .308 or 30'06 as the best choice for economical shooting plus performance. And lo and behold at my favorite gun shop in fabulous downtown Wagram, NC, I found a Remington 742 in 30'06 in apple-pie condition along with a Bushnell 3x9 scope, for well under $300!

So here's my new 742 on top of the gun rack with my Ithaca 37 12 gauge sawed-off pump and a WWI bayonet.

[​IMG]

That taps out the gun fund for now but I feel like I plugged the two remaining holes in my home defense SHTF hardware plan, one at each end: a good pocket pistol for backup and up close and personal work and a real rifle for reaching out and touching far away. Now I got to start stockpiling ammo, since I seem to have pretty much settled down on calibers.

I'm down to only four different pistol calibers, 357 Sig, 10mm, 9mm and .22; plus 12 gauge in shotgun ammo and 30'06 and .22 in rifle ammo. So now I got to stock a food supply for five pistols, two shotguns and three rifles.

[​IMG]

2. Seven

Seven Premium Member

Coupla sweet ones there...

...Netfotoj! Congrats!

I applied for my PTA (permit to acquire - probably the last one I'll have to apply for, since MO changed the law, effective 9/1) for a gun I've long wanted: A Colt Python 6". Should be able to pick up the permit, and then the gun, next Friday. I know what I'm doing next weekend! 8)

3. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Range Report: 9mm & 30'06

Had a short break-in session for my two new guns at the makeshift range at my son's house. Doc Chronos was dead right about the Kel-Tec PF-9. it's a great pistol and a huge upgrade from the P-11 I bought first. I picked the P-11 over the PF-9 purely on capacity, 11 rounds with one in the pipe vs. 8 with the PF-9, the difference being the double-stack magazine over the single-stack. But then I found out the P-11's supposed 9-lb. trigger feels more like 99. And Doc clued me in that the PF-9 has the same trigger as the P-3AT .380 Kel-Tec, only 6 lbs. Plus the PF-9 is slimmer and lighter and has the drop-hammer safety of the P-3AT. And now I know the 6-lb. trigger is slick as a mole's behind! You can actually squeeze off a round with the PF-9! (Impossible with the P-11)

I put 50 rounds of WWB FMJ 115-grain through it for a break-in, plus 8 rounds of Winchester Silvertip HPs and the more I shot it, the better I got. I wouldn't have stopped at 50 rounds, but that's all the ammo I brought with me.

Here's the last three targets with WWB, all at 25-feet from a bench rest.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

First target, with reading glasses so I can see sights, not too good, off to the right, one off the paper.

Second target, try the prescription glasses, sights fuzzy, target clear. Better group, but all high.

Third target, back to the reading glasses, better group, not high, except for one flyer, and not to the right. Better to see the sights than the target. Hmm, it ain't the pistol, shooting high or right, it's the shooter's fuzzy eyeballs.

By then I only had six rounds left, so might as well put them in the same third target.

[​IMG]

Don't you hate it when you run out of ammo just as you're really beginning to have fun? This might not be up to the accuracy standards of my M357-A1, but then it's a pocket pistol. It will do just fine as a backup/church gun.

Oh well, on to the Remington 742 30'06 semi-auto with Bushnell 3x9 scope. Only 20 rounds of Fusion 185-grain HPs to work with on a makeshift 60-yard range at my son's house. (Good thing he's got several acres of woods behind his house. Those 30'06 rounds hit like the hammer of Thor and they carry a long way.)

It took a few rounds to get the scope dialed in, walking rounds in from the left, but finally there's a few holes in the Blueman center of mass. For shooting with a wobbly cardboard box for a rest, I guess that's "combat accuracy" whatever in the heck that means. I guess the Blueman would have definitely been a combat casualty.

[​IMG]

Now to find some "full capacity" magazines for my new-to-me 742. I found some 10-rounders but I suspect that limit dates back to the Clinton ban. Surely somebody makes 30-round mags for the 742. :mrgreen:

4. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Looks like some fun was had.
    PF-9 looks interesting.

5. Seven

Seven Premium Member

Nice shooting!

That PF-9 is supposed to be very good for what it does. I've a Rohrbaugh R9 which is my 'always' pocket gun - whatever else, I have it in my pocket, either as a BUG or as a deep primary, and I love having it always there. Good to the 10 - 15 yards I would use it for, but beyond that... Well, anyway, good shooting with that pocket piece!

6. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Re: Nice shooting!

Maybe when that rich uncle kicks off, I'll get me one, but until then, the Kel-Tec is about as close as I expect to be. But I gotta admit, that is one sexy little pocket pistol, gotta be the world's smallest 9mm. But $900+! Whoa! :shock:

7. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Maybe when that rich uncle kicks off, I'll get me one, but until then, the Kel-Tec is about as close as I expect to be. But I gotta admit, that is one sexy little pocket pistol, gotta be the world's smallest 9mm. But $900+! Whoa! :shock:

That's two pistols on my "A" list and three on my "B" list. :mrgreen:

8. SELFDEFENSE

"Done gun buying..."
    --------------------------------
    The worst words to hear this side of "Your proctology results are in and..."

9. Seven

Seven Premium Member

Aye, and you'd cry if you knew what I paid for mine barely used. A once in a lifetime deal. 8)

10. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I like that the Rohrbaugh has sights on it. Makes me crazy that Seecamp does not put sights on a damn pistol.

11. SELFDEFENSE

They would probably charge an extra $100 :(

12. mrboma

mrboma Member

13. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

thanx for the link. 10-rd'ers seems to be the max available for the 742.

I did find some 10-rd'ers at brownells in clear polymer for $18 each, so that's the best there is for capacity.