Steyr Club Forums banner
4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Zundfolge 
G
#1 ·
I just came back from some range work with my new S9. While it fits my hand well, the entire frame/grip is molded of a smooth plastic texture that is way too slippery for me. THe lack of finger rest on magazine doesnt help either. I've shot HK USP, Walther P99, and they are both rouger in texture and give me better traction.

Just wondering how you all dealing with the slippery grip. Surely I can't be the only one.

G
#2 ·
one of mine has a houge handall slip on grip. the other has brooks tactical AGrip tape. Other solutions include skateboard tape or a bike innertube.

that was one of the changes on the new model.

#3 ·
I don't have the S, but I have an M and an MA1. The MA1 grip redesign is such that it fills the hand better yet is the same size. It is much more "grippy"

The S series probably benefits from a sleeve or other item to make it a bit more sticky.

#4 ·
my s40 and m9 both feel kinda slippery. i was just thinking today at ipsc that i would try some skateboard tape on the m9 since i rarely carry it and use it mainly for fun shoots where a little more grip would give me more control over muzzle flip during rapid fire stages, which are all ipsc stages. if it greatly improves my succes, i'll try it o the s40 carry gun and see if i can live with a little extra snag on my cover garement.

i always wipe it dry, but found myself rubbing sirt in my hands today in an effort to keep it on target during recoil. it helped, but i'm thinking a little more help would be necessary to completely keep it tight in my grip.

we'll see..

#7 ·
bigtaco said:
my s40 and m9 both feel kinda slippery. i was just thinking today at ipsc that i would try some skateboard tape on the m9 since i rarely carry it and use it mainly for fun shoots where a little more grip would give me more control over muzzle flip during rapid fire stages, which are all ipsc stages. if it greatly improves my succes, i'll try it o the s40 carry gun and see if i can live with a little extra snag on my cover garement.

i always wipe it dry, but found myself rubbing sirt in my hands today in an effort to keep it on target during recoil. it helped, but i'm thinking a little more help would be necessary to completely keep it tight in my grip.

we'll see..
BT - here is the grip tape template that hihoslva uploaded to the Photo gallery: http://www.steyrclub.com/modules.php?na ... fullsize=1

-D

#8 ·
I started out using a bike innertub and found it worked great but it left my hands smelling like a bike tire. I solved the smell problem by switching to a Hogue grip, I like the way it feels but it does tend to snag my shirt. I have thought about painting the grip with some Rubberize-it tool coating. As anyone thought about doing that or maybe have tried it?

#9 ·
Modifying the grip surface is one of the first things I did to both my M9 and S9.

I created the template linked above for others to use. I applied skateboard grip tape to my guns - it works well, and $3 bought me enough tape to last damn near a lifetime. I've had the stuff on for months now without any signs of wear.

Just FYI - I have removed the tape from the "left" side of the pistol. By "left" I mean the non-palm side for a right-handed shooter. The grip tape was very uncomfortable when carrying IWB without a shirt between my skin and the gun/holster. So now I only have the tape on the right side, and in the finger groove. Still works great, and is now very comfortable to carry.

#13 ·
I bought about a yard of 3M skateboard tape for a couple of bucks at Westlake hardware, then cut small squares out for the places where my hand felt slippery. I started to do the entire grip, but that makes it harder to re-grip if you have to, and rubs a hole in you if you carry concealed.

G
#14 ·
For any kind of carry gun I HIGHLY recomend the Brooks Tactical AGrip.

Granted it's $25 for a sheet big enough to cut two or three grips from, but it feels soft like a felt/suede combination in the hands and against the body. As well as not adding anything to the width like the houge. Also availible in colors too.

G
#15 ·
Another idea

Thanks for all the good ideas regarding Hogue, skateboard tape and inner tubes. I just realized why the smaller size Taurus PT111 Pro that I have is better than the S9. The finger rest!!!!

It really makes all the difference. If Steyr or someone else would come out with a plasitic finger rest floor plate for S9 magazines, it will definitely help out. THe grip will still be slippery due to lack of texturing, but the hand will be retained infinitely better due to the full grip feel. I hope Steyr incorporates this into the new S9A1 magazine if they make them, or at least make it an option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.