do Glock striker springs work in Steyr?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by alex, Oct 13, 2007.

1. alex

alex Guest

My Steyr M40-A1 trigger pull is still quite heavy despite the polishing and cleaning and oiling I did to it. I was wondering by carefully adjust the striker spring I migt be able to reduce the trigger pull. Since Steyr is not selling striker spring to end user (for good resaons) I thought I might experiment with Glocks springs. Has anyone done that?

2. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

I think you may have opened a can of worms there :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

3. nuj

nuj New Member

hi there,
    definitely a new can of worms indeed, will check it out if it's ok

4. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

After years of research..... well days, actually. I found that is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !!! that all trigger work (lessening the pull) should not be done. I do a little shooting and my trigger is stiffer than a preacher at my bachelor party. I wanted to decrease the pull and found out that due to the initial construction of the trigger assembly and the lack of additional safeties, the pistol could fire unexpectedly. I have alot of excess poundage (compared to the 1911/2011 series guns) that I wanted to alter. I asked armourers, fellow Steyroids and all agree to leave it alone.

If you find a way, let me know. Safety First and Sport Shooting second.

Take Care,
    MTS

"Let the Opinions Begin"

5. alex

alex Guest

I didn't realize there is a can of worm to be opened. I do know my limitation as far as modifying any firearm is concerned. Safety is of course the number one concern when come to lightening the trigger pull on any gun.
    It is very frustrating that I followed all the suggestions and advices and the trigger pull on my new Steyr is still very lousy. The weight of the pull is not consistent; sometimes it is about 5 pound then soemtimes it feels like 10 pound. This inconsistence occurs not just during dry fire but in actual shooting with live ammo as well. I own many different guns and this Steyr is the only striker fire pistol I own and I must say it has the worst trigger of all.

6. midtnshooter

I have spent close to 2000 rounds and have noticed that the sqeeeez is a little smoother, but try the trigger tutorial (buffing, lubing,etc) will help take a little more off the lbs.

MTS

7. heavymetalmachine

You found the trigger tutorial!!!!

Give us a link please....

8. midtnshooter

This isn't the older link (around January '07 I saw it), but the new dissassembly guide posted by .... ? Do you know the poster's name A.J. ?

Take Care,
    MTS

9. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

no

totally different implementation althought similar they are not that close.

Sigma on the other hand can.

10. nuj

nuj New Member

hello alex,
    the best way to lightened the trigger from my experience is to change the spring poundage in the trigger mechanism. simply polishing the parts will not do. believe me, i've done it. the steyr has a really crappy trigger, it's designed that way, a double action (DA) and not a single action like a 1911, but if you can live with it, it's ok. what's important, is, when you pull that crappy trigger, all you'll hear is that sweet sound of a BANG not a CLICK.

11. heavymetalmachine

So how would one do this???

12. midtnshooter

PLEASE BE CAREFULL !!!!

My fear is that the weapon firing off too easily. I am converting my pistol to an all-out-IPSC race gun. I still am going to build my 2011 series, but wanted to see what I can do for the Steyr. Safety is my issue, so it should be yours. There is no Amny Safeties or beaver tails, so the only safety that Steyr relies on is it's internal. Don't F**k with it without detailed records (serious records). Actually, what I want is a copy of those records so I can drop mine down a couple lbs.

I'm inserting a disclaimer, but want a follow up.

PM-Me. There is a few guys who are doing the same thing as me.

Thanks.MTS

13. alex

alex Guest

It seemed to me that I am not the only one who is unhappy with the Steyr trigger. I am sure a lot of people out there feel the same. Why there is not a solution yet?

14. midtnshooter

I haven't done anything, 'cause I'm skeered.

15. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Have you voiced your complaints about your trigger to SAI? Have you tested your trigger for weight? It should be 5.5 lbs. If it is significantly heavier than that, or if it does not have a smooth movement, SAI will fix it for free. :mrgreen:

16. heavymetalmachine

$60 for shipping is hardly free..As for testing I do not have accesses to a proper tester so I did the gallon water jug thing. I can hag 1 and a half gallons of water from mine :D So I would say on the conservative side it's like 10 to 12 pounds..

All the polishing made it real smooth and consistent but it is still real heavy....

17. nuj

nuj New Member

hi there alex,
    if you're asking on how to do a trigger job, just ask our moderators, i got all my ideas from them like polishing the trigger mechanism and the firing pin channel. like i said, they know more than either of us,
    you see, i like guns and like to do some gunsmithing of my own. ofcourse CARE should always be NUMBER ONE.
    as one of our friends here in the forum wrote, why not send it to SAI, have it checked by them and if its covered by the warranty, then good, at least you'll be able to sleep better knowing your gun is in good hands

18. midtnshooter

That is a good idea. But first, I will break it down and thoroughly clean it and retest it. I don't want to send it back to find that there was something that I could have done. I have been in the service field most of my life and it p*sses me off, having to come behind someone who did "OPEN THEIR EYES". (sorry about the caps, but it was a point that I had to make).

I have only used them to get patches and other "stuff". No shirts, etc. (wrong thread).

Take Care,
    MTS

19. midtnshooter

The milk jug techniques is a great idea. You get an exact breaking point and then you simply take it to a set of scales.

I use a "pull scale" to test it's poundage. You can pick up a fish scale (as though it max's out at ten lbs) and take some nylon string and tie a big circle through the trigger. Attach the string to the scale. When you can't do it on your own, have someone stare at the scale and you do the hard work. When they hear the "click", ask them the lbs.

Cheap resource and next time you go to the range, etc. You'll be suprised how many people want to know their own equipment's test. :shock:

MTS

20. alex

alex Guest

Have you actually done that? I ordered the Sigma striker springs from Wolff and these springs are too larger in diameter to fit inside the firing pin.