Discouraging Observation

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by babj615, Jan 27, 2008.

1. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

So, Friday afternoon I had to run across the street to the UPS Store to ship a package.

When I walked in the store, an employee was helping someone at one register, so the manager called me over to the second register to help me. During the process of exchanging information for my package, I could not help but overhear an argument between the other customer and employee...

Long story short, the other employee called the manager over, so I had no choice but to be JAFO....

The employee quietly whispers something to the manager, and in turn the manager asks the customer "There is a gun in this box"?

"Yes"

"You cannot ship a gun. It is illegal."

"No it is not, sir"

"Yes it is. we cannot ship guns. you must have special license to mail guns."

"No Sir, You are incorrect. I am shipping it to the manufacturer for repair."

"No. We cannot ship Gun. You must leave."

"Sir, Federal Law clearly provides for individuals to ship weapons to the manufacturer for repair and they can ship directly back to me."

"No, the law changed last year, in the summer, or something like that. Please take your package and leave the store...."

"This is ridicules... "

As he picked up his package and began towards the door, I just had to open my mouth...

"Hey Man, you know: If you were somewhere in the south, this never would have happened....."

He turned and smiled, replying "Yeah, if I were in Texas or Arizona they would only be interested in what it was and what was broken..."

I use this store often, so I didn't want to be ugly with the manager. I did suggest they recheck policy with UPS.

I have only been able to get an automated response system this weekend from UPS, and I will call them again this week during daytime business hours to see if I can get a real live human to talk to.....

Anyone else have any insight to add????

:? :? :?

2. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Thats just sad. People should know there job.....

That person the manger should have at least looked it up or something...

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I'll bet you're missing Texas right about now... :lol:

All we can do is try to enlighten the ignorant in these situations. If they don't want to see the truth, we are only wasting our energies and further polarizing their unfounded fears and beliefs...

4. Garys4598

Garys4598 Premium Member

I had almost EXACTLY the same experience with a "UPS Store" not less than three months ago. I was shipping my AR-15's barrel with upper receiver to a company out in Minnesota (I live in Washington State) to have a muzzle brake put on it. When I "declared' what was in my package to the UPS Store employee and that I wished to have it insured, he immediately called his supervisor from the store's back room, to assist me. Upon restating what was in my package and that I wanted it insured, the store manager immediately informed me he could NOT receive or ship my item... that firearms were prohibited from shipping by UPS. I immediately attempted to correct him by conveying that what was in my long, narrow box was NOT a friggen firearm, but just the barrel of a rifle that I wished to send to have an attachment put on the barrel's muzzle. The arse-wipe simply looked at me and replied, "Nope, if you want to ship that you can try our UPS hub office, but otherwise I cannot help you."

So... I basically stormed out of the store MADDER THAN HELL because the cotton pick'n service company that I was attempting to send the barrel and upper receiver to recommended UPS for mailing service. When I arrived home I tracked down the telephone number to the UPS main-hub in my area and spoke to a customer service represtative there. The individual informed me that I could ship the item(s) that I wanted from a UPS hub office, and clarified for me that sattelite UPS Stores are privately owned and that the store owners or managers didn't have to ship firearm 'components' if they so choose not to (words to that effect). Naturally, I was dumbstruck by all that.

I got back into my car, drove to the UPS main hub office, and went throught the rig-a-ma-role of insuring and shipping my barrel and upper receiver (although, due to the nut-roll I went through at the UPS Store an hour before, I did NOT inform the customer service person at the UPS Main-hub that I was shipping both the AR's barrel and upper receiver.... I informed her that I was shipping the barrel ONLY).

Now, setting the "way-back machine" forward to a few weeks ago, when I shipped my Steyr M40-A1's slide and barrel to Mag-na-port in Michigan, I used the services of FedEx. THEY WERE AWESOME BY COMPARISON. The customer service folks at FedEx were more than happy to receive my handgun's upper and barrel for shipping. I also mentioned to the service clerk that in a few weeks time I was planning to ship my entire handgun to Oregon to receive services (to Springer Precision LLC), and whether there would be any issues with my using FedEx for that? She informed me, "Absolutely not; we will ship your handgun; we'll just need to expedite the shipping service due to the nature of the item being shipped."

Needless to friggen say, THAT was a huge relief to me.

UPS is CRAP in my book!!!!!!!!!

5. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

The problem in my part of the woods is I have no UPS or FedEx. Nope I will have to ship USPS or not at all....

At worst I will pay my dealer to ship for me..

But those are the only options I have....

6. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I've had varying experience, as in above, depending on location. Here in NC, I've shipped via UPS without so much as a blink. However, the local franchise owner said the pistol had to be shipped priority overnight, the highest rate, while the gun buyer/trader I was dealing with in good ol' Texas could ship his pistol to me via UPS ground, slower but a whole lot cheaper. Overnight was $20+, not bad.

My one experience with FedEx was while in Pittsburgh. Lady there rolled her eyes when told it was a pistol and first said she couldn't do it, then thought about it for a minute and said maybe I would have to disassemble the pistol? She left and looked up stuff, then came back and said the assembled pistol was OK, but that it would have to be priority overnight. As it was a Friday, she asked if I wanted Saturday delivery? Seeing dollar signs in the air I said no, Monday was OK. She then came up with a total of $60+! Glad I didn't ask for Saturday. Wish I had looked up a local UPS store instead of stopping at the first shipper I found in the neighborhood, which was FedEx.

And guess what Angus Hobdell at the CZ Custom Shop did for the return? Sent the pistol straight back to me via FedEx, no FFL middleman needed. It had already been transferred when I first received it, so return shipping was direct to me. Wonder if FedEx knew that?

So maybe UPS stores are more of a crap shoot, depending on ownership/ignorance, but it's cheaper, particularly if the franchise decides they just gotta charge you for overnight. :mrgreen:

7. DKHAN

DKHAN Guest

Sold a C&R rifle last year. UPS 'store' at Staples tried to charge me $60 w/ins. Went across mall parking lot to Parcel Plus and they sent it UPS f/$30. They also handle my pistols via Fedex overnight. Fedex office told me it is their policy and not law re/overnight f/pistols.USPS told me it is their policy and again not law that non FFL cannot ship through them unless it is C&R transaction (FFL to FFL). Every C&R item I have ever purchased in the last 15 years has come to me direct via BBT.
    Things that make you go...WTF !

8. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

It is true when you say what part of the country you are in. When I was out in Cali. on a mountain shooting with MrBoma, the locals in San Fransicko oppose firearms (like D.C.), but here in Tennessee on Sunday afternoon (after Church and Lunch) during the mid day nap (always during the nap) someone in the neighborhood (I live outside of Nashville/Country) is shooting. I bolt up with range bags in hand to meet and greet with my neighbors. I have never sent anything UPS or FEDED, only by FFL. So I don't know what is or not allowed. But come on down here to TN. I'll have a glass of sweet tea, J.D., or a cold :beer: one if you choose.

Now lets ask ourselves, who will respect our 2nd rights '08 ? (Please do not reply to this question. There are other threads for this. I don't want to step on threads.

Now with UPS....... (Deeep breaths......inhale...... hold it, and exhale).

Take Care,
    MTS

9. nalioth

nalioth New Member

Unlicensed persons sending a handgun through the US postal service are liable for a $10,000 fine for the first offense.

I always send long guns USPS and pistols UPS.

10. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

This is a bit dated, but sounds like to me nothing has changed since then.

American Handgunner's July 2001 issue has an article by Shane Gericke that gives all the ins and outs of Shipping Firearms

"We untangle the maze of red tape (and red labels) around the various regulations of the various shipping companies."

11. mr. ford

mr. ford Guest

i'm not sure i like any of the shipping companies. one way or another, any one of the liter seems to stick it to me some how.. if i remember correctly it was fedex that we were directly sending and receiving from the manufacturer our upper/ lower stuffs for our ar's..

good luck dealing with liberal and/ or over the edge conservatism freaks fellas.

12. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

For both FedEx and UPS, their COMPANY POLICY is to NOT ALLOW shipment of firearms from their satellite offices (not law, but company policy ... but to an employee there is functionally no difference, violating either is grounds for termination).

No shipping of firearms from FedEx Kinkos or UPS Store or Mailboxes Etc, or other satellite shipping offices.

Shipping of firearms must be done from your local hub.

So while the employee is still an idiot (quoting "law" when he really means "company policy" ) you still shouldn't ship firearms from satellite offices.

If an employee at a hub gives you guff, demand their supervisor and keep demanding until you work your way up the food chain to someone that's not an idiot (good luck).

Now, the one thing that you should NEVER do is lie to a shipper and tell them you are shipping gun parts. If you are shipping a lower receiver (or upper receiver in the case of a FAL). Federal law REQUIRES you to tell a shipper that you are shipping a firearm (in addition to possible criminal charges for lying to them, if it gets lost you can't make an insurance claim because you lied about the contents of the package).

I think one thing we need to do is petition the government to change the rules for USPS so that they can allow shipment of handguns as well.

13. Vauxurellius

Vauxurellius Guest

I personally have to agree. I think it would be so much easier to ship through USPS. I don't understand why you can't just disassemble the weapon and label the contents and inform the clerk, then just ship USPS. That would make things so much easier. The second option is what I do, I don't like the bickering with the employees at the local UPS/FED-Ex offices so I just ship out of my local gun dealer. I make friends with them and they don't typically charge me much, or I just use my aunts pawn shop, she doesn't charge me :shh:

14. dtask

dtask Member

I have to contradict what Zundfolge wrote- at least regarding FedEx Kinkos. I have shipped a number of hand guns from my local FedEx Kinkos (including one very recently to the author of this thread) without incident. Every time I have shipped one, I am asked for a copy of the receiver's FFL and I declare that it is a firearm. The only requirements that I must meet (besides what I already mentioned) is that the box be pre-packaged inconspicuously, not move or rattle in the box at all, be insured and not have any ammunition present. It costs a pretty penny since I do not have an FFL license, so I have to ship Priority Overnight but other than the inconveniencing cost, everything is fine.

UPS is butt :shock: - out of all the ammo I have had shipped to me by them, I've had a total of 1750 rounds in 3 different shipments make it all the way from the East coast into my state (West coast local) and then disappear...like completely gone out of the system and never to be seen again. I've lost a total of $800.00 and countless hours/headaches trying to get them to fulfill the claims because these shipments were insured. No luck & not a cent or bullet has turned up and the latest instance was almost 8 months ago. UPS = Usually Prone to Stealing - that's my experience :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: anyway....

15. mr. ford

mr. ford Guest

i shipped my m40 to jeff reece at my local ups store. just had it in "parts" and all packaged up accordingly.
    no issues here -- although they did cover up the "arms" in steyr arms from the address label i had put on the box.

16. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

I stand corrected, it looks like FedEx is a little less restrictive. Looks like they only forbid using a drop box, unlike UPS that requires handguns to be shipped by a hub.

http://www.fedex.com/us/services/terms/us.html#firearms